Notices

It keeps getting better

Old 01-06-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It keeps getting better

I just want to write to the new people and let them know that it does get better. I am at 8.5 months and things keep changing for me and getting better all the time. My sponsor said that it can take a full year or two to 'get back on track.' The first few months absolutely suck because you are just trying to survive PAWS. Then you think that your whole life should be better instantly but it isn't. It will get better!
I thought I lost all my friends when I got sober. I just kicked the bad ones to the curb. The good ones recently came out of the woodworks. I just had the best birthday I have had in a long time; did a bunch of things for myself, no drama, and felt more loved than I have in years.
It is a slow and sometimes painful process but when you keep hearing about those and how wonderful their lives are because they quit drinking it will happen. I used to just want to kick those people because I was so miserable for so long!! But it has gotten so much better and will continue to get better with time. Be patient. Alcoholics don't know the term 'be patient' but if you keep it up, you will be happy soon!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm sure that post was encouraging for many patty. I'm so glad things are going well for you - and it'll keep getting better, as you said. Who knew we never needed to get numb to enjoy life.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your right, we want quick results!! Thanks for the great post!!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Thank you Patty. Exactly what I needed to hear on this day filled with emotional ups and downs.

Grateful for the post.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Patty!I love positivity..anything is better than living a double life in shame and misery.I used to want to kick everyone too..haha..but now I listen to suggestions because I couldnt find a way to sobriety whatsoever.Of course I have many many problems and life is hard but I will learn to deal with it all sober.I feel happy today too!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This was great to hear. It is important to focus on the prize. Sobriety.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Wonderful positive post x
Old 01-06-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks pattyj. Posts like this is the only reason I am hanging in there right now. So good to hear how it gets better. Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. I'm a few months in - and really been feeling crappy and overwhelmed lately. I guess I feel like I've been doing this for SOOooOOo long, but in perspective just a few months. Nothing in the amount of time I spent drinking. I think we want it now. Drinking gave us such a quick buzz right? Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on eight and a half months sober!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's wonderful to hear that if we're patient, things will keep getting better. Sometimes I do get impatient. I want results now!! But things are getting better, I think they are just happening gradually and becoming so engrained in my life that I don't notice it anymore. I'm realizing that I need to do an inventory or gratitude list often so I don't forget the progress I'm making.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post, and congratulations on 8.5 months sober. Very motivational!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I really appreciate this post! The holiday season was tough but I made it through and yesterday was 100 days sober for me. I wanted quitting to be "quick and easy" but it isn't. The fact that it is so hard, gives me a new awe of just how strong my addiction was to alcohol. . . . and I didn't even know it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for that post Patty it was just the boost I needed im at 5 months and my life has not really changed that much other than I no longer drink,i guess I was expecting overnight miracles.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post Patty, and congratulations on your sober time! I found that things started to get a bit easier after 8 months too x