Notices

Moderation - Drink deep or Taste Not

Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Moderation - Drink deep or Taste Not

I have been reading some really interesting threads on moderating and cutting back your drinking.

I remember a quote from a film (The Fly), "Drink deep or Taste Not".

This quote sums up what an Alcoholic is to me. Here are some example of my behaviour and you tell me, do I seem the type of personality that could moderate ?

1. I dont drink 4 cans of beer when I have bought 24, I drink until, I cannot drink any more.

2. I can't buy a pack of cigerettes have just have 1 or 2, I must have the entire packet in a single day.

3. I dont fill my car up 1/4 or 1/2 it must be spilling out full.

4. 4 x Rashers of Bacon for breakfast, not when I can get 8 on a buy one get one free deal.

5. I dont work 40 hours a week, I must work 80 a week.

6. 5 hours of exercise a week, not when I get gym membership, I must go 20 hours a week, it costs the same.

I am the kind of person that drinks deep, this is part of who I am, I am designed this way if you like. It is my nature.

Therefore, there has to be times, when instead of drinking deep, I must taste not and this is the way with Alcohol. There is no moderation, no compromise.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your very half hearted about everything autan!! . . . you need to sort that out!!

With you on the 24 beers, if there was alcohol in the house, it was either finish it all off or blackout, which ever came first!!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm that way in many aspects of my life aside from alcohol and drugs. A big one for me is dieting. I have either given up on eating healthy, or taken it to the extreme. I'm working on learning to live in the grey areas in the other aspects of my life. As far a substance use, I must abstain.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Smile

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Your very half hearted about everything autan!! . . . you need to sort that out!!

With you on the 24 beers, if there was alcohol in the house, it was either finish it all off or blackout, which ever came first!!
PurpleKnight, if you ever finished all 24, did you ever say to yourself, as I had:

"Damn, I didn't buy enough? "
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholism can be a crazy addiction, I always had a backup bottle of liquor in the house, usually whisky, madness how planning ahead became almost an art form, I had a real fear of running out, not having enough would plague my mind during the day at work, so there would rarely be a day i'd run out.

If it did happen then yeap, I'd failed in my planning!! . . . madness!!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great post x
Old 01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just an addict personality. I'm learning to use my addictive nature, stubborn, determined nature to overcome some things and throw myself into my job. Great post.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I totally relate!

If I order ANY drink other than water at a restaurant...coffee, soda, lemonade...I put it to my lips and chug it till the glass is empty.

I have an on switch, and an off switch...but all those gradients in between...I am just now learning to mark those places and stop to smell the roses between here and eternity.

When I was younger, I would start a book and not sleep until I was done reading it....sheesh.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I totally relate!

If I order ANY drink other than water at a restaurant...coffee, soda, lemonade...I put it to my lips and chug it till the glass is empty.

I have an on switch, and an off switch...but all those gradients in between...I am just now learning to mark those places and stop to smell the roses between here and eternity.

When I was younger, I would start a book and not sleep until I was done reading it....sheesh.
You are a kindred spirit.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I totally relate!

That's me. I blame mom for always telling me to "clean my plate".
Old 01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yep. I've always said I was a "zero-or-a-thousand" guy.

Doesn't really matter whether it's booze, exercise, thrill-seeking, whatever. If you're gonna do it - DO IT.

Go big or go home kinda thing.

Hmm.... maybe I need to look at that.....

Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If there is alcohol in my house, one of three things will happen:

1. I will drink it all.
2. I will drink until I hate myself and then I will pour it out.
3. I will pass out / black out.

Usually when I pour it out in the middle of a binge, I will go to the store the next day and buy more.