Notices

Drinking HEALTHY in Sobriety

Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
I did a bit more research on Kombucha - apparently it was removed from Whole Foods a while back because it "could contain" up to 3% alcohol, but the manufacturers have since adjusted how they brew it and now it's guaranteed to be below the accepted 0.05% alcohol level (the same amount found in many things like regular orange juice), so now Whole Foods carries it again. I think I'll try it for sure, it sounds pretty cool.
while the concern seems valid, and the labels on Kombucha do advise it contains "trace amounts" of alcohol - I agree with you.

I have kombucha from time to time and it is actually quite good for those of us who've destroyed the balance of healthy bacteria in our guts with years of drinking - as it helps support the right, healthy flora in the intestines and contributes to good digestion and balance.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Benefits of Pineapple Juice

Benefits of Pineapple Juice

1. Anti-inflammation

Bromelain, which is a natural antioxidant, is present in pineapple juice and when it is used in conjunction with turmeric it is even more effective. This combination can work even better than NSAIDs and steroids.

2. Digestive aid

The Bromelian and turmeric combination can help your body break down proteins, which helps your body digest things much better.

3. Natural antioxidant

Vitamin C is a natural anti-oxidant and pineapple juice is full of Vitamin C, therefore drinking this juice can help boost your body’s immune system.

4. Energy booster

Vitamin B6, which stabilizes your body’s blood sugar, and thiamine, which is a member of the B group of vitamins, are both contained in pineapple juice, and the thiamine helps to convert carbohydrates into energy, which also boosts your body’s immune system.

5. Kidney health

Potassium, which helps to promote your body’s kidney function, is also contained in pineapple juice.

6. Blood sugar regulation

Pineapple juice is helpful in regards to your blood sugar, as it plays a vital role in the conversion of blood sugar to energy.

7. Menstrual disorder relief

Bromelain is one of the contents in pineapple juice, which is said to help with menstrual cramps. It is said that drinking it will help to relieve you of those annoying and painful cramps.

8. Sore throat relief

Bromelain is also helpful to relieve sore throats, so if you have a sore throat drinking pineapple juice is a good idea. It can also be used for colds as well as asthma is.

9. Better skin

Pineapple juice is helpful in the care of skin in various ways. It is a good acne treatment, and also helps to heal wounds quickly, as the enzymes that are in this juice are known for that type of healing. The synthesis of collagen, which is helpful in providing the necessary elasticity of the skin, is helped from drinking pineapple juice. Skin wrinkling is cause by the lack of collagen, as well as rapid ageing. So, drink pineapple juice to stay looking young and beautiful.

Warnings:
•There are some warnings regarding the consumption of pineapple juice. If you are pregnant or may be pregnant, you should limit the quantity of pineapple juice you consume, as it can cause uterine contractions, which can cause a miscarriage.
•Also any juice from a pineapple that is not yet ripened can be quite dangerous as well. Pineapple juice is sweet and delicious, but if consumed in large quantities, you can experience vomiting, diarrhea or even rashes on your skin.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Creative non-alcohol drinks

Hello,
I am 5 days into not drinking, and so far the best drink I have tried is Ginger Beer mixed with plain Perrier, and a slice of lime. Because Ginger Beer is so high in calories, I use just a dollop over ice, then add the Perrier. It is the most satisfying drink so far, when I really crave a drink is between 6 and 9 pm. I drink water during the day. Also yesterday I tried snacking on Gu-Chomps, the power snack for runners. It gave me an energy burst, and was very satisfying, too. Uggg, this is harder than I thought, so glad I found this forum. Best of luck and best wishes.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
while the concern seems valid, and the labels on Kombucha do advise it contains "trace amounts" of alcohol - I agree with you.

I have kombucha from time to time and it is actually quite good for those of us who've destroyed the balance of healthy bacteria in our guts with years of drinking - as it helps support the right, healthy flora in the intestines and contributes to good digestion and balance.
I'm actually drinking Kombucha tea right now. The version I bought comes in green tea teabags... it doesn't mention anything about alcohol although I really can't see there being much alcohol content contained within a little tea bag haha.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

the kind you have as tea / in tea bags is not fermented. It is the fermented beverage version that can contain trace amounts of alcohol.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I like black tea, no sugar.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I brew my own kombucha tea which is much cheaper than buying it at Whole Foods. It is sort of an acquired taste. Some people get put off by the vinegary scent. I find it refreshing but I have always loved sparkling drinks. I think the way it is brewed and for how long definitely affects potential alcohol content -- the anaerobic portion of an optional second ferment increases the alcohol content. I'm fairly certain my kombucha has a negligible alcohol content, the same as any fermented food like sauerkraut, etc. The probiotics do wonders for digestion!