Notices

The Holidays: I was not bad but not good either

Old 01-01-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Holidays: I was not bad but not good either

In reality I probably picked the worst time to decided to stop drinking. Right before the holidays. The constant parties and celebrations. It was just too much So when Christmas came and New Years I didn't get wasted but I also didn't not drink. My accomplishment of having a few drinks and then stoping when I knew anymore would lead to being drunk did make me feel good. But it also made me feel sad. Sad that I didnt just say no. I was worried about explaining myself to others. I didn't want it to be a thing. And in reality it was only a thing to me. So I chose the easy way out. So for me personally I am glad the holidays are over. The temptation and constant reasons and excuses to party are over. Now I can really re-focus on quitng all together so that hopefully next holiday season I can just say no and it not be a thing to me anymore.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think there's any good time to pick to stop drinking - I always looked for it, but there was always a party or a reason to drink

I'm glad you're re-committing to sobriety tho

D
Old 01-01-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Sara23 View Post
Now I can really re-focus on quitng all together so that hopefully next holiday season I can just say no and it not be a thing to me anymore.
Sobriety is attainable. I don't know what kind of effort you've put into your recovery in the past. It's not for me to know. But I do know that the rewards of recovery are directly proportional to the effort put in. I hope the new year is the spur you need to succeed at quitting for good.

Stay close to SR. Look at some form of face-to-face support. And good luck.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sara! I know what you mean about not wanting alcohol to be a thing. That kept me off from quitting for a long time because I wanted the path of least resistance. It may make sense to not tackling quitting it through the holidays.

But for me, though, waiting for external circumstances to be perfectly aligned to stop was just me putting off the serious work of accepting that I was an alcoholic and getting at the reasons why I drank even though I knew I couldnt drink safely. So i waited for that family party to pass, that wedding to be over, all those birthdays and holidays to be done to quit and kept drinking. Even though I knew I had a problem, accepting that it could get serious and dangerous and could eff up my life never seemed to give me the urgency to quit RIGHT NOW.

It's a new year, and it's always going to be a new day tomorrow. Dig deep and do the best you can.

hugs!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was a half ass effort pardon my French. I made excuses for myself. And it's true there is never a good time to quit. I just have to keep trying and refocus.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you Sara!!!
Glad you're here!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Never give up!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We are all here for you. One day at a time you can do this.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sara - Welcome! and the fact that you are trying is a GREAT step... you can do it and don't beat yourself up... look to tomorrow. One day after another.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in their Sara,,,, keep trying and you will succeed,,
Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sara23 View Post
It was a half ass effort pardon my French. I made excuses for myself. And it's true there is never a good time to quit. I just have to keep trying and refocus.
Don't beat yourself up. Be glad you didn't overdo it and be strong in your resolve not to drink at all in the New Year.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I had to stay away from all drinking situations for the first year. It should come as no suprize that if you go to a drinking party that there is a huge temptation to drink.

Recovery is all about making real change in our lives
Old 01-01-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The holidays are difficult but hopefully you have some good momentum going now to work on your sobriety and yourself. It's a brand new year. Let's make the best of it!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If it was easy to get off the sauce there'd be a lot less posts on SR. It can take more than one try to get there, just keep plugging away and you'll be alright.