Notices

I like this site - (new guy here)

Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I like this site - (new guy here)

I am grateful that there is a place like this on the internet to connect with others that are in recovery. I have not been taking care of my disease lately and I am coming off a gentle bender. I slowed down gradually tonight and I will be running a new sobriety version starting at 12:00 am pacific standard time. I wish I could say that I am quitting right now after this post but I have set my intention regardless of how stupid it may sound. Give me a break I am an alcoholic man lol I have quit a few times in my life when things got really out of control. Now I am trying to cut this off at the pass while things are relatively unscathed. Hopefully it will be a successful transition and stay maintained with zen and patience.

I am looking forward to learning with all of you and my goal that I am setting tonight is to write a sobriety intention note everyday when I wake up and before I go to bed - or any time that I have an urge to drink. I am traveling right now and I need a support community that can be with me wherever I go.

I left my hometown in Minnesota on October 5th, 2013. I am traveling the US via my car. I gave away all of possessions except for what I needed for my trip and documentary and writing projects. I have mostly been camping and volunteering while I write my first novel. My goal is to learn sustainability and live healthier. Tomorrow is day 1, 24 hours.

I am not very worried about my anonymity but I certainly respect it. I quit for a year and a half once and was very open about my decision. For me I know that is what works best, it helps me feel okay about myself. If people have an issue with me taking care of my disease or feel a need to make me feel self conscience about it then they can kindly go scratch somewhere else. I know that this will all get better and worse with time, but the most important thing is for me to stay connected, and I can do this by writing everyday. I'll see about going to some meetings as well and try to hook up with a sponsor that will be willing to work with me remotely. I am currently in Grass Valley, CA volunteering on an organic farm and working on my projects. Here 's to waking up on the bright side of the bed. I wish you all a pleasant nights rest and I am greatly looking forward to connecting with everyone in this community. Wish me luck; I know I will be able to use all the good vibes that I can get. Time to eat that frog
Old 12-29-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

posting limitation

It appears that I cannot post a link to the song that I had on repeat today that has helped me find solace in times of need. It says that I need to make 15 posts before I can do this. This is a good way to get people going on posting - I get it. I think? Anyway instead of numbering 14 ghost posts just to throw you guys a link I will play fair.

The song is change by blind melon

"Change"

I don't feel the suns comin' out today
its staying in, its gonna find another way.
As I sit here in this misery, I don't
think I'll ever see the sun from here.

And oh as I fade away,
they'll all look at me and say, and they'll say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay
they're just afraid to change.

When you feel your life ain't worth living
you've got to stand up and
take a look around you then a look way up to the sky.
And when your deepest thoughts are broken,
keep on dreaming boy, cause when you stop dreamin' it's time to die.

And as we all play parts of tomorrow,
some ways will work and other ways we'll play.
But I know we all can't stay here forever,
so I want to write my words on the face of today.
and then they'll paint it

And oh as I fade away,
they'll all look at me and they'll say,
Hey look at him and where he is these days.
When life is hard, you have to change.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome photogauthor

have no fear you'll get to 15 posts in a trice

here ya go

The irony is of course Shannon Hoon was one of us - and gone way too young.

D
Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Phtogauthor !!!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Indeed he was. Thank you Dee :)

Indeed he was. Thank you Dee
Old 12-30-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Photogauthor
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome photogauthor, there is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Photogauthor, welcome to the Forum!!

Good luck in your decision to be Sober, SR is here 24/7!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good decision and welcome x
Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all. My intention today is simple and I will leave it here and begin adding them to my blog after my 5th post.

Don't drink. Be aware of my body today and give it all of the support it needs during this transition. Call a sober friend tonight and continue to explore this online community. Have a good day
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sounds like a good plan you have.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you are planning to do. Sounds like a winner to me.
Glad to have you on SR. These great people have been my inspiration and support for 49 days and I will be here for at the very very least 1 more.
You are doing something that I would have liked to have done in my earlier years. Travel as the wind takes you. Did it once in the early 70s to Europe for 9 months with all the other long hairs, but I was drunk most of that trip so don't remember too much.
Stick to your plan, write often, read more often and get healthy. Not sure if frogs are good for you, but what the hell, better than 2400 calories of hops and sugar.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Today is a good day so far. No strong urges just craving sugar like crazy so it's time to make a fruit smoothie to help ward off the shakey shakes. Lots of water while being out in the garden today.

@Rick - thank you for your reply. "Eating The Frog" is a term used by a guy named Brian Tracy. The concept is to tackle your most difficult procrastination every morning right when you get up. The one thing that is most difficult for you to set yourself into motion to accomplish.

According to Tracy, “frog” is a blanket term used to metaphorically represent anything on your to-do list that you find yourself dreading and putting off. “If the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning is eat a live frog, then nothing worse can happen for the rest of the day!” I can't say I completely agree with him, but it is a good idea non-the less.

Tonight I am going to make a nice meal and then relax and reflect on all of the good things that will begin pour out of the universe during my sobriety. Then perhaps I will watch a movie with villains and heros and eat nachos.

Be well SR. Thanks for showing up for me I really do appreciate it.