Notices

I am and Alcoholic

Old 12-25-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am and Alcoholic

Hello, just looking for advice on how to proceed with my recovery. I'll be honest I'm currently in a lot of trouble. I am 41yrs old, have a professional type job in Ohio, two small children,......on 04/28/13 I separated from my wife and my drinking was approx 25% of the problem in our marriage. On 05/28/13 I got a DUI on a Tuesday night after a softball game. It was quite a wake up call. The fines, 3 Day Weekend program, suspended license, probation for a year. On 11/28/13 I got my license back, suspension lifted and life was good. I made it exactly 22 days and on 12/21/13 I went out with a buddy. He drove so I had a designated driver. By the end of the night he was passed out and I found myself behind the wheel again and there were the lights and now here I am looking for answers. I thought I had control of my problem. In the 5 days since my 2nd arrest I have found a lawyer to defend me, contacted my work Employee Assistance Program setting up counseling and I'm planning to go to an AA meeting tomorrow night if I can get a ride. I'm terrified, I'm scared, I'm depressed,.....today I spent Christmas with my children who are now with their mother and I'm sitting alone in my apartment trying to stay sane. I've never looked for help or actually thought I needed it until now. I feel so helpless.....after my first arrest I was back out with my friends the following weekend and I simply thought that if I didn't drive I would be fine. After this one, I've poured out all alcohol in my house, stored all my beer mugs, wine glasses, etc in a separate cabinet.....I'm sure this is the natural reaction to such a horrible situation a person would find themselves in. However, I NEED HELP. I can't do this alone I know this. I'm hoping with the proper counseling, support from the "right" friends and family that one day I may be able to lead a normal alcohol free life.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Broom!

You have found an understanding and supportive group. We've all been there and know how you're feeling right now. Make yourself at home here and keep reading & posting. I'm sorry for the pain and unhappiness you're going through - but here's where it can all end. We are with you.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Broom
you'll certainly find a lot of help and support here.

It's never to late to start working for that normal alcohol free life

D
Old 12-25-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Broom.

Sorry to hear what has happened to you.

If you stay sober your life will improve,that is guaranteed.

Wish you well,getting to a meeting is a great start,if you ring the AA helpline they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can give you a lift
Old 12-25-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, welcome Broom. Things can only get better without alcohol. I go to AA and it has helped me tremendously.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Broom!

You already have made the decision to cut alcohol from your life, and that's great, the hard part is the support and coming up with a plan to do it, AA, local support groups, friends/family and here on SR are all great ways of getting the support needed.

Everyone here has reached that rock bottom in life, the moment the penny dropped with the realisation that something has to change, so you are amongst many people that have been in the same situation and are struggling forward to achieve that alcohol free life.

Your right, we can't do it alone, the AA meeting tomorrow should get you on the right path!!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WOW, I didn't realize I would instantly feel a tiny bit better just by having such positive feedback. I really appreciate it and noticed one reply showed the member has been sober since 2003!!!! That's impressive and gives me hope!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would say most of us have something bad happen to us. Just remember things could be worse. Stay sober and things will get better.

I am in a bad way too. Thinking that there were people here who understand what I am going through literally was enough to make me leave the situation I was in 30 minutes ago. I took 2 drinks and realized I need to come home and get on here. This is a great place.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice job Seabee, there in lies one of my biggest problems concerning alcohol for me. Once I started I never had that internal switch like some/most people do to turn it off. Here lately I was finding myself drinking when I was bored, alone, or to help me battle the depressed feelings I had when my kids were not around. Well I'm bored and alone right now and instead of drinking I'm on a website talking to others about how I need/want to try to avoid drinking. Kind of ironic. Well at this point I'm 4 1/2 days sober. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Broom View Post
WOW, I didn't realize I would instantly feel a tiny bit better just by having such positive feedback. I really appreciate it and noticed one reply showed the member has been sober since 2003!!!! That's impressive and gives me hope!
Welcome Broom! The proper support is a large part of getting and staying sober. SR is the best place to come, great people, and a wealth of information.

It also helps to know that not only are you not alone, everyone here understands and many have gone through the exact same thing that you're going through right now.

You're not alone and you've come to the right place!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Broom. I hope you find help with your sobriety here. I am sure you will xxx
Old 12-25-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's right. We all have to start somewhere. I try to think of it as life or death, but sometimes my situation makes me feel hopeless.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Broom. One of the guys in our March 2013 class printed out his first post which was a not dissimilar story, he got a long of strength from taking that post out of his wallet and reading it over when the going got tough. He's been sober nine months now, we call ourselves sober twins because we stopped on the same day.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Broom, many of us were in denial about how serious our problem with alcohol was. Denial goes along with the addiction. I'm glad you now know that you need to stop drinking and that you have come here for support. Welcome!
Old 12-25-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a very supportive site from a fellow Buckeye.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Seabee the only thing that's hopeless is if you keep drinking. Jails institutions death are guaranteed even though the AV tells us we are different, and those things won't happen to us, they will. It could take a month or it could be drawn out over years . Go to the meeting. No one was ever calm and cool before their first meeting. You'll never have to have a first meeting ever again!
Old 12-25-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Broom - welcome to SR! You'll make it thru this. Just know that drinking wouldn't make it better. Also as many if us do (me for sure) don't let yesterday's mistakes ruin today. As you work thru these speed umps of life know you have decided correctly not to drink.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Broom! You will find great support here!!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Broom from another Buckeye. Living an alcohol free life is so much better than drinking out of boredom and anxiety, with the horrible accompanying consequences. Yes, we all have to start somewhere…..onward to day 5 for you tomorrow
Old 12-25-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Admitting that you need help is a really big step.

This site has been really helpful to me. I will come here when I feel an urge or if I need help examining my relationship with alcohol or with sobriety. I have been sober 41 days and I am really grateful.

You can do this! Sobriety is worth the struggle.