Notices

tough time tonight

Old 12-25-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tough time tonight

Sitting here at my in laws on my fourth night of sobriety. Pretty much everyone is having a beer. Nothing crazy, but it is so so hard not to drink. I know if I have one beer its all over.

I'm hoping we can leave soon. Any tips would be great.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're doing great Justin. There's no doubt the first sober holidays are rough. Please know that next year it will not be this way. Try to think how good it will feel to get through this without caving. You'll be so proud tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Remind yourself of the reasons why you quit drinking. How bad you'll feel tomorrow. How you'll have to start all over again.

There's nothing good in drinking, only misery and pain.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's tough, but great job on not having that beer!!

Leaving soon is probably a good idea, in the meantime any chance of excusing to go to the bathroom, regroup, pass some time, few deep breaths.

Clinging to SR is a safe bet for support to get you through!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JWC
- 12/24/13 -

You should be proud of those four days. Remember you don't wanna start back on Day One. Can you take a small walk outside? Sometimes just getting some nice, fresh air makes me feel a lot better. Hang in there, buddy.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Make sure you have something to drink to keep your hands busy. Some fruit juice or something you feel like.

Keep trucking!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cosign on all of the good advice you have received!

Cravings pass. You will get through this, and once you do, you won't have regrets.

You can do it.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done, please don't have a beer and look forward to feeling great tomorrow xxx
Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am home. I just wanted to let you know, I did have that first drink. I took the drink, and the memories of dry heaving the next morning and having to write software while being drunk went through my mind just like the euphoria of that drink.

I took the drink. Literally one sip. I then realized it was time to leave. I got in my car, went home and now I'm typing. I dont count this as a relapse or a slip. Granted I had one sip.

I learned the power of alcohol is nothing to fu(k with. So, here I am fighting the urge to go to the liquor store. As I realize that one drink made the next 15 so much harder to resist, I think I'll be going to sleep sober. Thank you all for the support.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, I left my wife at the party. She said "go home and be sober. Family will be here tomorrow just like your sobriety." I think if I didnt have her id be dead or close at least.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job. I did the same thing tonight, so don't feel too bad. 2 swigs off a bottle and decided I better get outta there before things got ugly...
Old 12-25-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank, but I'm glad you realised what was going on and left, Justin.
Good for you

D
Old 12-25-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Justin - taking yourself out of the situation was good. Stay strong. Glad u didn't drink that drink. It's a slippery slope
Old 12-25-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MB8

Be thankful for a supportive wife!!! Mine is also very supportive as she and my two girls are at a party where close friends will all be drinking. It is an annual drinking party where I am usually right in the middle. Tonight I told her its probably best if I don't go so here I am on SR while she and my girls are having fun. We're both right where we need to be. I know she misses not having me by her side but the support she gives never waivers and I truly feel blessed. MB8
Old 12-25-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I spent almost the whole day at in-laws, JustinJust, so I understand your situation. So tough. It sounds like you learned from what happened. Good for you. I say move on, but make a mental note (or even a physical one) about what you plan to do next time you are with the same crowd. Onward!