Notices

New to the site, here out of necessity

Old 12-23-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site, here out of necessity

Hello all. My name is Chris. I am 32 years old with a wife and 2 sons. I was doing good for a long time. I went from June 9th 2006 until October 20th, 2012 without a drink. I just got out of the Navy after 10 years and things have been hard.

I will start back at last October whe I started again. I was on an unaccompanied tour for a year in Greece. It was stressful doing my job and being without my wife and kids. Long story short, I cracked and started drinking. While I was in Greece I was of course hiding this from my wife. Then in April of this year, I came home thinking "you quit it before, you'll quit it again". Well, that didn't work. I have been sneaking and hiding my drinking and now it's out of control.

My wife took my kids and left yesterday morning. She isn't good at dealing with me. She is pretty much of the belief that since I quit before, I can just do it again. I feel like I have just wrecked everything. I don't even know what my next step is.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us!

What makes you think you cannot do this again? What method did you use the first time?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome, Chris. I hope you can sort this out. There is a lot of good advice here. Please dont despair, you can get your life and family back, I did x
Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Welcome to SR! Glad you found us!

What makes you think you cannot do this again? What method did you use the first time?
Last time I just quit using will power. I went to some AA meetings, but not for long. I was also living 1,000 miles away from all my triggers. Since I came back here (where I am from) it has been extremely hard.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

You CAN do it again!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you can try to give AA another shot? There are other options also AVRT, SMART recovery etc.

The important thing is that you are here seeking help. There are many here with a lot more experience with sobriety than me and will be able to help you also.

Hope
Old 12-23-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
She isn't good at dealing with me. She is pretty much of the belief that since I quit before, I can just do it again. I feel like I have just wrecked everything. I don't even know what my next step is.
Your wife doesn't really have to understand your difficulty, but you do. In a follow up post you said you quit before using just will power. But since resuming drinking your alcoholism has progress beyond "Just quit drinking."

You might reconsider AA or some other form of recovery and support.

So your first step should be recovery and sobriety. Once you can demonstrate that, you can figure out the situation with you wife and children.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR.

Your wife doesn't really have to understand your difficulty, but you do. In a follow up post you said you quit before using just will power. But since resuming drinking your alcoholism has progress beyond "Just quit drinking."

You might reconsider AA or some other form of recovery and support.

So your first step should be recovery and sobriety. Once you can demonstrate that, you can figure out the situation with you wife and children.
Yeah I need something. I can't do it on my own again. I am waiting for a meeting tonight...
Old 12-23-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The anxiety of everything going on in my life right now is almost unbearable.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know the overwhelming feeling you have. But for me drinking was only adding to the pile
of issues I had to work on.

I'm still working hard, I'm 15 days in myself. Already the cloud has lifted a bit. I'm able to see each issue individually instead of a mountain like I used to
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Seabee! Your wife can't understand what you're going through, but you have to try to understand what she's going through. One thing that keeps me from drinking is the fear that if I do start again I won't be able to stop.

I use AVRT. Maybe it would help you. If not, try AA. There's tools out there for folks that need to quit.

I wish you well, and best of luck. SR is a great support system. I know you can succeed.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm really glad you found us seabee. You can definitely get sober again and stay that way. I think being here & talking about it will help. We all understand what you're going through.

You will feel better and less anxious once you get some sober time behind you. Everything will improve when you're clear headed and positive again. We are with you.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi- Glad you are here! What are you going to try differently this time? When I relapsed I realized I wasn't doing something that I need to be doing. I asked myself "what is missing?"

It was lack of meetings, no praying, trying to control everything that I have no control over, and not talking to my sponsor. I stepped it up big time and now spend hours a day to keep my sobriety. Necessary right now as it's my life.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome Seebee. Glad you found us.