Notices

27 hours sober

Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

27 hours sober

I was always a binge drinker. Friday and Saturday night. Sober during the week. Then I stopped for a month, but then reward myself with several drinks.

I had 2 beers before work, then left early to drink at lunch yesterday.I didn't even enjoy it, wasn't even thinking clearly. Wife is fed up. I am fed up. This is the first time I decided to just quit for good, not just a month. I don't even know who that person was yesterday. I kidded myself by drinking moderately before thinking I'm fine. What did it for me is the fact that sometimes it's fine, then suddenly it's not. I have no desire to have a drink, but in a week or so I'm scared of the temptation.

Just taking it easy. Water is my friend. Crushing anxiety all day, but I'm hopeful sleep will cure that.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Stick around, post and read, this site is a big help to maintaining sobriety.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Make plans for the weekend. I was never a weekend only drinker but in quitting I have found weekends more difficult. There is a weekend thread that starts Friday. I would recommend posting and reading there. What other plans do you have for staying sober? It is far easier to stop and stay stopped with support rather than doing so in isolation. I post and read here and go to AA.

Welcome. Hang in there. Water is your friend. Make sure you eat regularly. Avoid caffeine.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome- You will find a great deal of support here. Keep coming back.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Looks like you are tired of being tired of having to constantly deal with Alcohol. It's a lot of work to drink, make sure to never run out, bring the empties back to the store, making sure not to drive, getting in arguments with loved ones, wondering what damaged our body has already.

Quitting is just one thing to worry about, never taking that first drink.

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome garden nerd
Great first step, finding this site
Supportive people here who know what you are going through
Check in often , read ask ,post check out all the forums many great stories and ideas
Hope to see you around
Sounds like you made a great decision, wish you well
Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you gardennerd. I'm glad you found us - we all understand how you feel.

During my drinking career I went through many phases. I was once a weekend only drinker too. Eventually I decided having drinks after work was a great idea. In the end I found myself drinking all day - even at work. I was completely dependent on it. You are wise to be looking at what it's doing to you - the danger signs are there. I had to admit that once it was in my system unpredictable things happened. I had to stop all together. I hope it helps you to be part of SR. It was a life saver for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR GN

D
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks. it looks like there is a lot of good advice here. I have a therapist, things were going well, but last weekend reset all that. After each binge it's like going through mini withdrawl, I'm tired of it.i know what's in store tonight, vivid nightmares and hearing music in the white noise. I find a benadryl takes care of the sleep problem after a binge. Less zombie dreams. Glad I'm putting a stop to this.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good choice. Well done xx
Old 12-18-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Gardennerd!! . . . as already mentioned a plan to deal with the weekend will be important if that was your usual pattern of drinking!!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome Gardennerd. I'm glad you've decided to quit for good.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 2, no problem. Although it's not been a problem in the past, until 3 weeks later when I celebrate not drinking for several days. Actually that could be celebrate not drinking, for several days. Depending on how you look at it. Grammar humor.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I left out that I showed up to my wife and my therapy session (the day of my last drink) still slightly drunk. Not the best idea. Day 2 good though.