Notices

What happens when?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I'm confused did you come out as a gay man or did you come out as an alcoholic ?
I hope I didn't start the confusion. I understood what he meant, but since I am neither gay nor a man, my only relatable experience was when I finally stopped lying to myself about my drinking. It was such a huge relief and I just wanted to show my support in my own bleak way.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good for you, Ken. In a productive workplace it should not be any issue. At least in the ones I've been a part of the camaraderie came from the shared experiences of working towards goals and triumphs. All of these groups were made up of diverse individuals. I hope only the best for you.

Brilliant post, Non.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

weasel, good for you man!!!!

I live in a state where it's perfectly legal to discriminate against sexual orientation. it's really up to the company or agency to add sexual orientation to their non-discrimination clause. or not to. so I've always gone the pre-emptive route. I'd rather someone decide maybe they didn't want to hire me after all than fire me a couple of years into a job for being gay. thankfully, I've never had a problem, and it's been nice to walk into a job without having to worry about that crap.

I think a bunch of us understand what that's like, holding something in. I think all of us alcoholics and addicts, gay or straight, know what it's like to feel stigmatized and like we should hide who we are. with all my out and proud queer sisterhood stuff (as if, I've only owned one pair of doc marten's in my life :-), I have NOT come out as an alcoholic at work. they know I don't drink, that's it. I have worked there 6.5 years, and never went drinking with coworkers. we aren't a drinking kind of group. thankfully, nobody ever noticed me hungover or god forbid still drunkish at work.

so weasel, you are the MAN!!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Aw, Ken. I'm tearing up here. Congrats!

June
Old 12-15-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wease, this is the kind of thread - including the comments - that remind me, yet again, how wonderful SR is, as a community of diversity and love.

I'm not gay, though, who knows? I might be bi? I don't bother with that part of living now lol.But yeah, I'm sure as hell an alcoholic and an often relapsing one at that.

The point of your thread though, to me, is about us learning to stand up and say: THIS is just who I am, now. And yes, we do have to practice it, so many of us having allowed ourselves to be pushed into being ashamed, which leads to lying - which can take many forms.

I now prefer not to lie. That upsets many people.Yet, somewhere along the line, especially as we get older, we simply MUST (from within ourselves as you rightly pointed out) BE our own selves. It's scary. And it's right.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Wow! Thank you for all the support. I had moments of anxiety this weekend thinking about how this morning will be. I feel much more free.

I will be going to New York over the holiday and can speak of what I am doing in general without explanations. My guards can relax and I can be friendlier.

I'm very happy I said something.

Onward!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Aw, Weasey (as some here call you - hope you don't mind it from me; us Aussies are prone to these kinds of colloquial names to show our affection): May I say that you are a genuinely inspiring kinda guy here on SR. I don't doubt that you are, too, in your workplace and with friends.

As I write this in the posting box, I can see your posting signature-quote: and really, this thread of yours shows that you take that saying very seriously. 'You gain confidence in [your strengths] existence as they enable you to act'. Bingo!

I'm deeply envious of you toddling off to NY....it's always been a dream of this Down Under isolate, ever since I was a kid. Another Aussie friend of mine recently visited there for the first time; this is a bird who's spent most of her nearly-60 years alive proclaiming how much 'you'll never get ME to go to the States, evil empire and so forth....'. Surprise surprise, she fell in love with NYC. Maybe one day for me too.....if I can get / stay sober enough to make the arrangements!

Bless you Weasey. Keep us posted - some of us rely on your posts (no pressure though :-))
xx
Vic
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Bemyself ... Thank you for the kind words of support. I feel good about what I did and people are reacting positively towards me.

NYC is a great place. The energy and sense of neighborhoods in different areas is great. Anything and everything you can think of somewhere in the city limits.

This is a pic I snapped this last summer of the freedom tower... I was walking the west side on the Hudson.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great pic Possum / Weasel - can we turn it around clockwise?

Nyuk nyuk :-)

BTW is the Freedom Tower the one that's finally been built on the 9
/11 site? Or am I wrong?

Yanks might be surprised but many of us elsewhere remembered exactly where and when we were when hearing / seeing the news of the 9/11 morning. For me, it was in the middle of the night, living in Adelaide Aus, and a friend called me to say: 'turn on the telly'.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so very glad for you Ken - you deserve nothing but acceptance and respect. Can't comprehend why anyone would feel otherwise. I'm sure you're relieved and reassured by the response you received.

Have fun in the big city. I am envious. Wanted to make it there to see the tree in Rockefeller Center & do all the tourist stuff - not sure we will this year.