Notices

day 4

Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 4

This is my 1st post.
IIve been drinking since I was in my early teens and I stopped the day before my 52nd bday this week. I probably went to bed drunk almost every night all those years. I have woken up for the last 15 years and spent some amount of time knowing I need to quit. Its sad but today being day 4 is the longest time ive ever quit for in all those years. Any suggestions to get thru each day. No offense but AA is not going to happen with me. It seems if I can get past 5 to 7pm I can make it through that day.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Timetoquitaz!! Great job on Day 4!!

I too am not one for going to AA, I sorta just check in on this site from time to time in the evenings, keeping active is the main thing I find, watching TV, reading, playing games etc etc, the worst thing is sitting around doing nothing at the times you would normally have a drink in your hand!!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome and congratulations on day four.
Day four was always a killer for me. Felt better, looked better, hangover gone, and Hey! I can drink again.
What works for me is to think about what alcohol does to me. The misery, remorse and regret I got drunk again.
I'm around your age and started in my teens, too. I was an alcoholic from the first time I picked up a drink.
I drank all those years alcoholicly and things really got bad in my latter days. I was drinking in the morning or any time I could. It's progressive.

You've found a great place for support here. Post as often as you like. You can do this. I'm living proof.

Best to you.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Timetoquitaz, congrats on day 4. SR is a great place for support. It's really helped with my recovery. Being honest with my doctor about my drinking and keeping myself busy and active helped me initially. There are other recovery methods and approaches if you dont want to go to AA. Best wishes.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job! I'm with you on day 4! Next year we could celebrate our one year at the same time!

Same as purpleknight keep busy, and change your routine. If after work = Sit on the coutch and drink then, have an early dinner instead.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 days!!! Welcome to SR. I'm early in recovery too (day 20) and I've found that keeping a strict routine helps me ... in bed at the same time every night (early) and up at the same time every morning, eating regular meals at appropriate times (not midnight bag of popcorn for dinner like I used to ). I spend a LOT of time on this forum and I do go to meetings, but I know it's not for everyone. There are many recovery options and this site is loaded with useful links and supportive people. Good luck on your journey and keep hanging around here!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Timetoquitaz. I am the same age as you, with a similar history of drinking. I waited just as long as you to quit drinking. I am at Day 112 today, thanks in large part to the good people here at SR. Their knowledge and support have been invaluable to me.

If I can quit, at my age, after a lifetime of drinking, you can quit.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Ghostlight1 & everyone for your posts.

Your right about day 4. Actually yesterday day 3 I already felt pretty good and felt I was ready to go out and drink again. I called my wife on the way home from work and said lets go have a quick beer. Then after thinking about it for an hour I told her I had a headache (true) and didn't want to go anymore. A couple of hours later I was smiling to myself sitting on the couch watching TV. I also felt great when I went to bed knowing I would remember the night before!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel if you stay on these forums, and read some alcoholism books, that works wonders - it did for me, anyway. I'm not an AA person either, I find my method was way better for me personally. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks the patman.

I'd love to celebrate 1 year with you next year...but really I'll be happy to celebrate 1 week on Sunday.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks firstmeyer...I can't imagine day 112?!

Its seems like the only thing I've been good at for a while is getting drunk. Everything I try to do I struggle with. I'm talking about easy things like keeping the mail opened and not letting it stack up for weeks. Cleaning the house. Paying the bills on time. Just about anything I struggle with and then I get really angry.

I would drink 5 or 6 shots of Jaeger in a row before going to the bar. I was killing off a bottle of Jaeger every 2 days or less plus several budweisers. My wife would come home from work and pick me up. She only drinks 2 or 3 beers at the bar but I'd be 1/2 wasted before leaving the bar and then I would finish myself off at home. I wake up in the morning not knowing what we had for dinner, and if my wife seemed upset I'd have to ask her what happened. Sometime shed tell me...other times shed just want to forget it.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bpositive what kind of alcohol books are you referring to?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR timetoquitaz

You know what you're not going to do...so what's the plan?

D
Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. You are doing good. I'm not an AA person either xx
Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello well done on day for i am at the end of day 11 uk time i come here everyday so many lovely people and so much support there is always someone there for you
Old 12-12-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you Timetoquit.

I was older when I quit too. I drank for 30 yrs. At first I felt like an alien - very numb & foggy. There was an adjustment period of a few months for me - but every day I felt a little better and stronger. Being older, I knew I couldn't continue on the way I was. It was such a relief to be free of it. We are happy you joined us - congratulations on your 4 days. That's a huge accomplishment.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi katel
Thanks for the invite!
I tried to accept your friend request but it doesnt seem to have worked?
Ttqaz
Old 12-12-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thx hevyn!
I feel like ive waited so long whats the use. Then I think again and know not quitting will result in a likely miserable death, wrecked marriage and other worse situations!