Notices

Empty Feeling Anyone?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done. It get's better. I even enjoy my own company now and being bored is ok too. My old dad used to say boredom is a luxury
Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am at 7 months and am only now looking into social groups and volunteering and working out. At about 4 months I hit a real low and didn't go to meetings or see my sponsor. But I didn't drink. There are ups and downs throughout the first couple of years of sobriety. A good friend of mine said he didn't feel 'himself' until after 2 years of sobriety. Do what you can to get through the day, one day at a time. And just don't drink. Things will get worse before they get better, just prepare yourself with a program to make it through. Good Luck!! And awesome job on 30 days!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

30 Days was really rough for me. I almost relapsed. Now I am on Day 65 and I am feeling better and better every day. I do think we romanticize the drinking. Focusing on the fun 45 minute buzz without counting in all of the costs associated with the buzz ~ hangovers, poor sleep, embarrassing episodes, forgetting everything (good stuff and events, too!), weight gain, poor self esteem, health ramifications, loss of energy, etc. If I look at the whole picture, the short buzz just isn't worth it. Everyone has been to a funeral where an SOB is turned into a saint. Look at it that way!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

First of all congrats on 30 days. Like you I found (& still find at times) sober life boring as h*ll. Being sober at a party or football game; I always seemed to be left out of the "joke", everyone else laughing and me just standing there "not getting it." But the trade off of no more hangovers, not waking up dying of embarrassment by what I did, and learning to enjoy life without a drink has been a great journey for me and well worth it in the end.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Glad to know someone else admits what I've been feeling but thought I shouldn't. I am so bored when I'm not drinking. I had 6 weeks of sobriety back in May/June of this year. I was committed to it, as I had been to detox and felt it would be a waste of money and time to go back to drinking. I gradually went back because I was bored and really looked forward to drinking my wine after a day at work. Working second shift, 10 hour days, really has also done a number on me. Get home at 11 PM, go back to work the next day at noon, nobody around who wants to start doing anything at 11 at night, and they all go to work in the AM early while I'm still sleeping in. I was the type of drunk who never drank while out on the town, never drank at parties unless they were held at my house, but couldn't wait to get home and have some wine when everything was over. That enabled me to get away with hardly anyone but myself noticing I had a problem. I fully realize there are benefits to not drinking and I'm committed to trying again, but that little voice inside keeps asking me if I REALLY want to give up something FOREVER that I enjoy so much. Sometimes I can quiet it down, and sometimes I say "what the hell?" I had 7 days last week alcohol free, then had 4 days in a row where I drank wine. I didn't get drunk, drank way less than I used to, but still feel like I failed. Now I'm in a new situation. New roommate that I'm not hoping to be in a relationship with, left my former roommate/lover who enabled me (but I still love him), moved to a new apartment, now just have to do something about the job that is so boring and non challenging.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Boredom is natures way of telling us we have unused capacity
That deserves a pause so I can soak that one in. Well said.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hang in there Jhow.

It takes time to build a life. It will come.