Notices

Today is sober day 1

Old 11-30-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is sober day 1

So, after getting blackout drunk every day with a fifth of vodka or more (with a few exceptions of course) for two years, (i was drinking daily before that, just not as much) I have made the decision to quit. I tried detoxing previously (like most on here I imagine) and went to ER thinking I was dying. TERRIBLE withdrawal symptoms.

Very high anxiety, cravings, confusion, severe insomnia, feeling like I was going to have a seizure, tightness in chest. Absolutely horrifying experience. It was after that visit to the ER where I knew I couldn't do it alone. I could die from this.

I visited doctor who prescribed librium, and told me to take it for like a week.
Tonight is night 1. I am usually sh*t faced right now and about to pass out. But tonight, I feel tired as hell and have some pain in a lot of places in my upper body. (wouldn't have felt the pain sober right?)

A question I have is that up until a month ago, I'd have no withdrawal symptoms until it was time to start drinking. (5:00 PM) But recently withdrawal started in around noon. Not sure what this means or how it progressed this way.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Justin!

Please spend all the time and make all the posts you need during your withdrawal!

Here is some information on increasing withdrawal severity over time: Kindling (sedative-hypnotic withdrawal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I read about that. It's just shocking that it happened so fast. I'm glad I have the librium. It's amazing how a legal substance can lead to this much destruction. I'm focusing ahead on healing my poor old liver which I'm sure resembles an old boot or a doorstop. I'm just glad it heals itself.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you involved your doc. I know for me withdrawals got progressively worse each time. Some call it "kindling". Regardless, if things get too bad seek help of course. It will get better though...great choice you've made and welcome.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks ScottFromWI. Oddly enough, my withdrawal symptoms are AWFUL the first night, but after that I'm pretty much good minus insomnia, shakes, and feeling hot. I'm really struggling with chronic relapsing. I'll sober up for 3-5 days, then find some damn excuse to buy a bottle.

This time, I have enlisted a therapist, this website, and made life changes to stay off the sauce. I start a new job in January, (I'm a software engineer) and I want to make sure I'm past all of this. I know I'll be an alcoholic forever, but I hope I get over this week long hump and it gets easier.

Did it for you guys?
Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've been sober for almost a year thanks to SR, so yes you can do this if you really want to. I am but one example, there are many here who have been sober for years and decades. It is worth it, no question.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went from hangovers to severe withdrawals in the space of 2 weeks. Alcoholism is progressive and whatever your body was coping with a month ago can change without warning. Week one can be really frightening and I am so glad you sought medical help. All the best, try to drink Gatorade, juices and water and have small nutritious meals. All the best
Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yeah. The librium actually made this a lot easier. With deer hunting (always a lot of booze there. guns and booze... hmmm bad combo?) Thanksgiving and christmas, it's going to be tough.

Anyway, how do you cope? When it's 5:00 and you're driving by your liquor store, what gets your to your driveway and not going to the liquor store? Fear of going through withdrawal is my main motivator along with healing my body, but thus far it hasn't been enough.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ScottFromWi
I'm on day one as well..... You can do this, I can do this!!!
Something someone said in a meeting really stood out to me last night.... A 'slip' is something that happens on the ice but doesn't really exist in recovery. A slip is totally unexpected and if we are honest and are aware we can tell when we may be leading towards that happening. S.L.I.P
Sobriety Losing Its Priority.
Just keep going forward and Do what you know to do..... I think of it as walking in the light as I have it.
I'm in the same boat, I haven't made it very long yet but I'm never giving up. You don't give up either....
I don't understand much of this yet but that light one step at a time is going to lead to a great future!!! I'm excited about that!!
Keep us posted!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
yeah. The librium actually made this a lot easier. With deer hunting (always a lot of booze there. guns and booze... hmmm bad combo?) Thanksgiving and christmas, it's going to be tough.

Anyway, how do you cope? When it's 5:00 and you're driving by your liquor store, what gets your to your driveway and not going to the liquor store? Fear of going through withdrawal is my main motivator along with healing my body, but thus far it hasn't been enough.
At first you may need it drastically alter your daily routine...like don't drive by the liquor store, take a different route. Keep busy, drink lots of fluids and most importantly read a lot here and work with your therapist. Withdrawal will go away, so you need other motivators.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Justin

Two things really helped me - change - like Scott suggested - changing your routines, what you do for fun and maybe even in some cases who you do it with...

and support. Use all the support you have.

It's important to realise you're not alone in this

D
Old 12-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

JustinJustQuit,

Last night, Nov. 30, was night 2 of sobriety for me, so I feel a kinship with you, as we're starting/stopping at the same time. I thought that on night 2 I would be white-knuckling it, but I distracted myself with activities I enjoy, focused on challenging accomplishments I had achieved in the past, did something else every time my mind went near the thought of whiskey. For example, walked the dog, jumped on the treadmill, read, watched a TV show I had DVRed and had tried 3 times to get through, but hadn't b/c I was blitzed halfway through it. This time I got to the end. Finally, I spent approx. 4 hrs. on SR just reading forums and threads for support and encouragement. Good luck to you. Stay in touch.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We can do it Justin! I'm on day 3. It's tough but it's gotta be done.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Welcome! I'm on day 13. I'm kicking alcohol and pills and my first week of withdrawals were horrendous. I feel a lot better now and never want to go back there.

You can do it!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. Right now is generally when my cravings start to hit me. So far on day two I've sweated my ass off, had some pretty weird confusion, and the cravings of course.

I'm never going back to the booze. I start the gym tomorrow morning with a friend who knows I'm an alcoholic, so that will be nice.

13 days is fantastic. I bet I will have lost some weight and all the booze bloat. Not sure how much weight I'll lose or when my body will get past detox mode but I hope its soon. Hopefully my ulcer and liver start healing by then.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done Justin
Old 12-01-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks. I just am looking at the one day at a time. If I can get past tonight, it'll be another win.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Justin! Hang in there - it gets so much better after the first week. You're doing great!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Keep writing to us, Justin. I can see you're suffering; just know we're thinking of and pulling for you.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ha I will be tonight I bet. I'm standing here in the kitchen smoking an e-cig watching hard boiled eggs boil. That's when you know you're in detox right there. (literally watching water boil. Haha)