Notices

Fear of not drinking

Old 11-30-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of not drinking

Greetings to all,

I've just started my sobriety, and my main emotion is fear of giving up something that has been second nature now for over 15 years and fear of whatever withdrawal symptoms -- esp. psychological ones -- I'll face. Is this a natural fear?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there and to SR Yes, it's perfectly natural to fear the unknown, but there is always someone online here, to talk you through any worries you might have

Glad to have you with us!! Xx
Old 11-30-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Skye2! I really appreciate your reply.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's terrifying to say goodbye to an old friend, yes, but the rewards for kicking that SOB out of your life far outweigh any that friend could ever bring you. You have to just blindly trust that in the beginning. Sobriety sucks and is hard at first - no doubt about it. Because of it (not in spite of) you get this whole new world & life opened up to you that you never could have dreamed. You're not alone!!! We're here with you ever step of the way and understand & accept you like no one else.

Welcome.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome gramphil, i was very fearful about giving up alcohol but i desperately wanted to stop drinking. I trusted people when they told me that living a sober life was better. Choosing to quit drinking is the best decision i have ever made. If you are concerned about withdrawal it might be a good idea to speak to a doctor. There is tons of support here. Best wishes.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Gramphil,

I think it's not only natural but wise to just plan on that insecurity popping up for awhile.

I know that for me, in the beginning, I had to always keep reminding myself that of course I would feel weird about a lot of things. Pretty much every emotion or activity I did for years involved alcohol so of course it would be new and scary without it. Makes perfect sense really if you think about it. Sad...drink. Happy...drink. Lonely..drink. Bored...drink.

In the beginning, I got sad...now what? Happy...now what? Lonely...now what? Bored...now what?

There's the journey. Finding my now what? Scary and tricky at first but awesome and wonderful once the answers start coming.

Good job! Don't give up! You can do it!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Our brains hate change, and it is indifferent to what you do, just so long as you keep doing it. Rootin for ya.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I thank each of you for writing. I've spent the last two hours on this site just reading different threads and feeling strengthened and supported by others' experiences. From childhood on, I was inculcated with the idea that I had to rely solely on myself to solve any and every problem in my life, and while I've had a successful and satisfying professional life, I have also felt quite alone in dealing with an issue as large as alcoholism. Tried AA several times, but never felt comfortable enough to open up to people sitting right there in the same room. OTOH, I deeply appreciate the help this online support group has already given me. I can see myself staying on this site on nights I don't feel strong enough on my own.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gramphil, I was terrified to quit drinking because I didn't know how to be alone with my sober self, and I had no idea what to 'do' in the evenings because drinking was my primary activity after work. But it gets easier over time. Stick close to SR and keep reading and posting. You are definitely not alone!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The Forum is great, there's stuff I get off my chest here that I would never dream of saying to the people that surround me in life.

Fear was a big thing for me too, what was life going to be like sober? how would I fill my time? would I loose friends? . . . but after taking the leap of faith that somehow it's going to be alright the benefits can be seen every day!

I went to my first ice hockey game last night since becoming sober, previously it involved large volumes of beer, this time it was coffee and soda, and this morning I remembered every part of the game with a clear head . . . what was I worrying so much about, I enjoyed the game just as much?!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a very common fear. Giving up a whole lifestyle is rough.
It's not impossible tho - and you're not alone here.

I feared my life would be over sober - instead I found a life better than I could have imagined - I know you will too Gramphil

welcome aboard

D
Old 11-30-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gramphil! It's great to meet you.

I definitely was afraid to let go of my 'best friend'. The thing I'd used to cope all my life. I held onto it long after it turned on me and began to destroy me. I was drinking all day when I quit - completely dependent on it. What you're feeling is normal - but it is wonderful to be free! Glad you are here.