Notices

Pets....

Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pets....

I have 3 dogs. There have been times when I wanted a drink so bad but instead say "lets go for a walk" or "play a game of fetch". The joy on their little faces has gotten me through it every time.

Just curious, does anyone else have pets who help them get through the tough days and stay on the sober path?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I'm feeling stressed, I sit down on my couch and my cat jumps on my lap. I pet him for awhile and it calms me down. He has definitely been a tool in my recovery!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know that for me, the worry about neglecting my cats at the very least caused me to get out of bed during my worst benders, even if I was sweating and practically crawling to get to the kitchen (although I often fed them later in the day than I should have under those circumstances). During my most recent week long binge (most of which was spent in bed), my cat dutifully laying at my feet and even staring at me with blatant concern was a wake up call, and I still remember it vividly, even from the hazy state I was in. My cats were just as empathetic while I was going through detox this week and were so comforting during that hellish time. I have to say I think they played a big part in helping me with my resolve to kick the bottle and get through the worst of the detox. I'm assuming they will be equally helpful as I'm staying sober.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yep, I have Suki and Riley. Suki is the one with the rather large tongue.

I also have my cat, which I call Stinker; because she is.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would probably have died a long time ago if not for my pets. Thankfully I am sober over 2.5 years now and can care for my pets like they deserve now I adopt seniors & usually only get to have each of my dogs for a few years, sometimes much less. I've had Mr. Jax since he came to me as a stray in 2004 tho . I only have 4 right now, I lost 3 senior rescues in 2013. I love them more than anything in the world.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My doggie has been helping me. He got ignored a bit when I was drinking. This is just my fourth night, but we both noticed I have been playing with him more, and it seems to be working out well for both of us. He doesn't care what I have been thru, or what I am going thru emotionally right now. He just wants to play and that helps me distract myself from my feelings, which are all over the place right now lol.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

I have one dog and one cat, and I adore them both. The dog and I are inseparable. He is beneficial to my recovery in ways I can't even begin to describe. Everyone needs a best friend....mine just happens to be a canine.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've lived with cats and dogs my entire life. Unconditional love at its very best.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
I would probably have died a long time ago if not for my pets. Thankfully I am sober over 2.5 years now and can care for my pets like they deserve now I adopt seniors & usually only get to have each of my dogs for a few years, sometimes much less. I've had Mr. Jax since he came to me as a stray in 2004 tho . I only have 4 right now, I lost 3 senior rescues in 2013. I love them more than anything in the world.
Awww that is such a WONDERFUL thing to do!! I wish more people would adopt seniors. Well done you!!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always say that my dog is my recovery plan. I got her when I was a little under a year sober and she completely changed my life. My outlook improved considerably when she came into my life x
Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

<<<<----- My saving Grace.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

<--- that's my girl pup Chanel AKA sweet sweet AKA tweet tweet. My first pup's name is Raider AKA poppa doo and I have a third pup named Lobo which is short for Lost Boy (cuz he showed up at my house and needed a new home). I love my dogs so much. When I get too caught up in thinking about what I don't have I think "my pups are safe and healthy" and that's better than anything. A while back Poppa Doo ran away for two nights in Ventura CA and I learned real quick what really matters in life. Friends, family, and furry ones:-) A lady saw my ad in the paper and I was reunited with poppa doo and I thank my lucky stars everyday cuz he really is my best friend:-)
Old 11-22-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My avatar is Missy, one of my two Whippets. They suffer from excessive greeting disorder, but they always cheer me up no matter how tough the day was.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have three dogs, birds and my daughter has three guinea pigs. I have two betta fish, too. I think pets are among the best gifts in life!!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a pet rat, a rescue from the local mspca. His name is Jimmy Jingle and he is the sweetest, most loving, and hilarious little guy. He is thrilled that I am no longer drinking because he knows I will give him the chocolate wrappers to sniff and lick.

Pet ratties are the best. They learn their names, they follow you around the house, they want your attention, and they really pick up on your emotions.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have a dog and two cats.
I lost my first cat last year to kidney disease. He was the best cat and saw me through the all kinds of wrong in my life. He also saw me through all kinds of right in the end. I still miss him.
My favorite story: A few years ago I was at the dog park with my dog. It was a cold, rainy day and there were very few dogs there. Mine was happily playing with another for a while in the grassy field while I sat and watched on the nearby bench. The other dog's owner was an older gentleman and he sat down on the bench as well. He told me he had recently adopted his dog. He also told me his other dog had passed away over a year ago and he was not going to get another because he himself was getting on in age.
He said it was the worst year of his life.
I will always have a cat and a dog in my life.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have two dogs and one cat. When I was getting sober I had three dogs and I'm ashamed to say I didn't take care of them very well. My dogs and cat now get the best of care from me. I'd be lost and lonely without my critters.

PS, I've had rats for pets too and they do make great pets. Very smart and clean and affectionate.

I've had guinea pigs too and they also make great pets.

For anyone who likes books about animals read A street cat named Bob by James Bowen. He's a recovering heroin addict who finds an injured stray cat and adopts him. Great book!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Such a heartwarming thread, thanks to Leana and all those who introduced us to their beloveds from other species (quite a mind blow, when I think about that as I often do).

My final very worst drinking played out over nearly a year (2011) following putting down my 15 y.o. Bella. Blue heeler X border collie. Almost a year to the day after her death, and only a month roughly after a. completing my first ever 28 day rehab, b. finding a new rental in the city after many years in a country town, doing the Big Move etc....I scoured, on the net, all the rescue places, specific breed rescue groups, etc. Researched the possibility of getting a completely different breed than Bella - not the typical obsessive alcoholic behaviour?! :-)

It was one obsession that paid off big time, bringing me another 'Bella' from the Lost Dogs' Home hundreds of kms away up near the mighty Murray River / interstate border. Same breed, almost identical markings, almost identical traits and behaviours, even the bloody same name - felt weirdly like Bella1 saying 'Mum, this one's so you don't forget me'.

So I brought Bella2 home, renamed her Bess. And she's kept me going - to keep trying to get / stay sober many times - much as some of you have also said.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Heh heh, DB nailed it with 'excessive greeting disorder' - Bess has that too
Old 11-22-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have 3 dogs, all rescues Tristan is a rotty x, nahla is my 11 yr old pitty and pebbles is my brand new Chihuahua x - swore id never get a handbag dog, but she needed me and snuck her way into my heart. As u can tell by my name, animals are my all.32yrs vegetarian even lol isn't it interesting the us addicts have so many pets! I wonder what it means, if anything xx