Notices

Afraid

Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittlekat View Post
I just want to be normal but not sure how to go about it.
Stay sober, that's how you go about it at first. Your head will get clearer, you make plans for how to cope with cravings, revisit why you chose to stop and the life you want for yourself.

But it all starts with that one choice, no matter what, stay sober.

I went to AA a couple years ago, but it felt so clinical and I didn't feel the support. I know sounds like an excuse and maybe it is.
Try another group? Come here, read books for tips. Ask for advice here.

You mentioned Grandchildren.

When I was a little baby, my alcoholic Grandfather was admitted to hospital out of nowhere. He was told to stop drinking immediately. During that time in hospital, he got scared, had an epiphany. He held me in his arms and promised to stop drinking and talked about all the things we'd do when I grew up.

He never made it home. He was only in his mid 50s.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi kittlekat. I was afraid to let go of my buffer - the thing I thought helped me cope. Now that I've learned to face life without it, I'd never go back to being numb & foggy. It feels wonderful to be free.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I will be honest...the support here is overwhelming as is my desire to drink/not drink. I came straight home from work and I made it this far. I am off tomorrow and I have been known to leave hours after coming home. I can only be thankful that liquor stores are not opened past 9 here. Unless you go krogering and can get the diluted stuff. LOL Sensical, again I wish I was an optimist...I am hoping that will come some day out of all this. I may be on this thing until I am ready to fall asleep...just to know there are people who have made it happen when I feel like I am so hopeless sometimes. I thought the first three days would be the hardest...when in reality they were not. It was only after I made it a week...today that I really question it. So hopefully, I will not irritate or bother people on here with my continuous posts as I need everyone tonight. As I said earlier, I have alienated everyone buy my immediate family. And I hate to be a burden to those I hurt. I have one child who has forgiven me and another that hasn't. I am just thankful that both allow me to see my grandchildren. I really feel that I don't deserve their forgiveness sometimes. I am alive today because there IS better things for me. I just hope I allow those better things to happen! Since I crossed the line between a drink or two to binging.....I have lost much of my optimism.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Irritate and bother away lol ....

Seriously kittleKat That's why we are all here .

To help each other .

Post a gazillion times if you need to. There is no such thing as too much posting ok. We all deal differently.

Someone is ALWAYS here day or night going through exactly what you are .

Lean on us. Xxxx
Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi kittlekat;
I know how hard the first few weeks can be. You are doing really well and please don't give up--things can and will get better, and you will be able to deal with not only daily life but also the "messes" you may still have to work on leftover from your drinking.

When I stopped I thought I could never get through all the BS I had created, but I did, and now it is really, truly in the past and I have peace like I never had as an adult before. It is worth working toward and every day you don't drink you are a step closer. Hang in there and treat yourself well. Maybe between times on SR, take a nice bubble bath, watch a movie or read novel in bed, some well-buttered popcorn always helps . . .whatever makes you feel nurtured.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank for 20 years - 5 of those all day everyday.
I deserved better - and so do you.

I turned my life around with the help I found here - you can too Kittle. Believe it.

D
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I made it! Was so stressed because of my job situation...(hating it, being taken advantage of and totally being screwed) I just went to bed early with the help of the mellotonins and let my mind drift away naturally! I am off today, have an interview at a new job and a dr.s appointment. I seem to be getting things done now! LOL Time will tell. But the new job is pretty much the same kind of job that got me started with the drinking and partying. So I have to be careful if I happen to get it! Thank you all again! I will be living on this site and already put it as a favorite on my phone!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi kat, the important thing to remember is that it gets better. The sobriety of a few days is not as sweet as the sobriety of a few months. It gets better as it goes along. The more sobertime, the more you get used to living without the alcohol. You find new things to do that are healthy. Keep going. You can do this.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You go girl!

Anxiety in the first few months of sobriety is very common. According to some studies, it's practically unavoidable. Go to youtube and view the series called "Pleasure Unwoven" by Dr. Kevin McCauley. He does a great job explaining the biology of addiction, and I found it very helpful.

Among the dozens of things I found useful here at SR was this suggestion: Here's what you do when you're feeling anxious and that alcoholic living in your head starts telling you "A drink will help you relax. It's been a week, you deserve a drink now. It will be different this time. One more time won't matter. Blah, blah, blah..."

Take out a pen and paper and write down the absolute worst thing that will happen to you if you ignore that voice and DON'T drink. Just write down the worst thing you can think of. Mine have always been a great source of amusement the next day.

Keep it going. You're doing this!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I had a very good sober day off not feeling like poo!!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

keep going kittlekat and well done! Being free of hangovers is great, isn't it?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I had at least 5.5 hours sleep last night! I feel soooo good this morning...I have a long way to go I know...but to actually have sleep where I am not waking up every half hour is amazing! I know 5 and a half hours isn't ideal...but it sure beats 9 hours of falling asleep drunk and feeling like crap for a full day! My job has taken me and keeping really busy...a blessing and a hindrance all at the same time, but I will take it as it comes. The temptations and thoughts and desires for that bottle of hell is still ever present in my mind.....daily and sometimes hourly....but I have made it yet another day This is the first time I have went this long without alcohol in my body for minimum of 10 years. I don't want to give myself a false sense of security and I hope I don't forget just how awful I feel the day after drinking and all the bs I cause. I need that in my memory bank as a reminder of what I DO NOT WANT!!!! I did have a dr.s apt Tuesday morning and I actually opened up to him (I went to see a new dr so I would feel easier telling someone I was a binge drinker that did not know me). He gave me something for my anxiety (which I have not used yet) and something to help me sleep (again have not used yet)...but it is there. He said when I get that urge....wait until it's seriously a consideration...take the anxiety pill. It is the non addictive Vistril. I do so hope I can overcome this addiction without the aid in drugs. But I am not beyond helping myself however I can to not become who I was just over a week and a half ago! I feel good but know even that can be short lived because of the circumstances of life. But I feel like I am control as painful as it is giving up the one thing that numbed me from the pressures. I am not looking for a pat on the back but rather....keep going! And that I will someday not feel this terrible pressure inside to drink! It will happen...it has to.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It took me a good week after no alcohol to really start sleeping better and I expect it will take another week or two for my body to really clear out the effects, I take Melatonin too, don't know if it helps too much but I thought it would get me over the alcohol insomnia. Good luck and hang in there, if you drank for years it's going to take a while to get over the effects of alcohol on your body
Old 11-21-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

So hopefully, I will not irritate or bother people on here with my continuous posts
I wouldn't worry in the slightest about that concern, since joining SR I've realised that by simply taking time each day to check out SR it can maybe get me through a craving or simply pass some time rather than doing what I used to do, which was drinking.

So by posting on SR we all may somehow somewhere be helping others in a difficult moment in the day. The volume of activity on SR and the support makes for an amazing community!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

what i love about SR is that no matter what time of day it is, there is usually someone around to answer and this really helps.

if posting here keeps you sober, please know it's reasonable....and many do, as many others just read to help them.

glad to hear that you are feeling better and getting to week 2!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I will someday not feel this terrible pressure inside to drink! It will happen...it has to.
Looks like some of your optimism was hiding in a sober night's sleep.

Fan the flames!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

KittleKat , I'm so happy for you .

Keep up the good work hun . You have come this far , you can forge ahead some more .

I promise you , the sleeping part gets even better. Don't be too scared to use the anxiety pill as I was apprehensive at first . But it's all part of the process . Even a half tab .

I did this for my first month and haven't needed them since . Natural sleep awaits you and its heaven .

It makes us wonder what the hell we were thinking .

My favourite thing now is an uninterrupted , peaceful nights sleep rather than a drunken crash then waking anxious and unsettled every half hour , then feeling like **** for the whole day only to repeat .

I do NOT miss that .

Well done ..keep going . You wont regret this new you xxxx hugs

Xx
Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep going KK - that friend you're missing now, you will have a very different perspective on in a few months....it gets better

D
Old 11-21-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I really hope so. I have truly gotten tired of the drama, the forgetfulness, the pain I cause, and feeling like crap. But it is the craving. I literally will say all day long, I'm not drinking today...yet I get off work after 8 hours and not even thinking....drive thru the liquor store and get a pint. I had gotten to a point I drive out of my way to go to different stores to get it. Embarrassed by the fact I get it so much from the same place. I just want to be normal but not sure how to go about it. I went to AA a couple years ago, but it felt so clinical and I didn't feel the support. I know sounds like an excuse and maybe it is. I just know for now I am going to be ok. When I have been tempted this past week.....only a week today I have been alcohol free. I call my grandbabies and spend time with them. I even started making excuses for myself today. I went a week...see I can do it anytime. Already trying to talk myself into drinking. The way our minds work scare me. The thing is...I am aware of the excuses I am making to get some. For me this is a big step!
Well done. I used to do the different store thing x
Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

A ruff 12 hour day at work....I'm too tired to drink if I wanted to! LOL May go to bed early....I am afraid to take the anxiety pills or the sleeping pills. I am sooooo afraid to get hooked on anything else ever again.