Notices

help with sister

Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help with sister

my sis came home from rehab about a week ago
i've been trying to do what everyone told me on this site but she's been more distant, coming home later etc...i'm starting to think she's going back to drugs

what can i do to prevent that ??
Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It;s hard to accept I know, but the desire to stay clean and sober has to come from your sister, it can't come from you.

It's hard to know whats going on with your sister if you're not talking.
I think its ok to let her know you're concerned, but you need to work on your own recovery too.

Have you ever been to AlAnon or Naranon Lily? you'll find a lot of support there.

D
Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is it possible she is out late at an AA meeting?

I know for others around us the first thing they jump to is a relapse and for good reason.

When I got sober I felt it was a very personal thing and I still feel that way. I do not share much with my family. It is my journey. I also feel that while I know my family loves me and they want nothing more than to help, they can't.

I am the only one that can walk the path and while I can walk it with another alcoholic to support me, they cannot do it for me. Same goes for family except at times they cannot even support me other then to let me know they love me.

I have to go to were the alcoholics are, the rooms of AA, to get the tools and the guidance that keeps me sober.

Another issue may be that after we get sober all the bad stuff we have done while drunk comes rushing out of the woodwork like roaches and putting distance between ourselves and the people we have harmed was our (my) way of coping with that for a while.

So while I am trying to put a more positive spin on what may be happening I have no clue. If she is back out using there is nothing you can do other than let her know you love her.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have you talked to her about her late nights? I'd have a good talk with her, tell her of your concerns. Other than that, there's not much you can do other than set boundaries of what you will and will not tolerate from her.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sadly you can't make her change. But you can encourage and support her. Talk to her, and look into AlAnon.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a good chat with her and she admitted she's struggling and asked me to give her more space. I am going to try this and hope it helps her.