Notices

my birthday tomorrow

Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my birthday tomorrow

So as it says above, I'll be 32 tomorrow. I hate birthdays. Every year it reminds me of my shortcomings. Still not married. Still no kids. And now all the plans I had with my ex are of course gone. I feel a huge sense of loss this year for what could have been. I know I will need to find new things to look forward to, but right now I'm concentrating on each day and the thought of making new plans still hurts too much. My Av suggested to me that tonight would be a good night to get some wine and drown my sorrows. But I say that's just going down the same old road that's ruining my life. I still just feel really sad and disappointed how life has turned out. All thanks to a stupid addiction. Thanks for listening !
Old 11-16-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope you have a very happy birthday!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy birthday! I just turned 30 and I know what you mean. I'm not where I imagined myself being when I turned 20 but that is the way of things. At least we have decided to give up drinking and get our lives back on track now! There are many here that waited much longer. Good job shutting down that AV tonight! Have some cake for me
Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Happy Birthday animalnurse!

I wish I had quit drinking when I was 32.

Just turned 60 this month.

The longer you stay sober, the thoughts of making new plans gets easier, even exciting!

Life becomes a renewed adventure, without the anxiety and depression of alcohol dragging you down.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your birthday is the start of a great new year for you AN - it really can be.

The past is gone...it's beyond our reach.
Focus on the future - you can do something with that

I turned my life around at 40 - there's no reason why you can't do the same at 32

Have a great day - do something for yourself
D
Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy birthday! I'm 35 and have battled alcohol for 14 years. Where I was in life due to my history with booze used to depress me also, but as my sponsor tells me- if we continue to drink our history becomes our future. I believe our futures will be better as sober people.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Happy Birthday! Have great day tomorrow and don't be so hard on yourself.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy birthday. I'm 28 and dread my bdays every year and can relate to everything you said in your post. Look forward to your 33rd birthday after a year of sobriety!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday

I know what you mean. I'm also 32, and dislike my birthdays for these same reasons. Think on the bright side, we wouldn't of experienced some great times if we were tied down with kids/marriage etc. I'm around 110 days sober and am growing more confident in myself in being able to do the things I planned when I was a little man.
Perhaps a little salt n pepa mixed with a spontaneous dance move will boost your spirits. lol

enjoy your day tommorow..you deserve it.
stay away from the wine..
Old 11-16-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy b-day!

Don't feel bad. I know the feeling, at 38 I've looked back on many of my past gfs, and look at their lives now, and wonder what could have been. You are not alone there.

But that's hogwash. You're overcoming a serious illness! You're getting sober, you're moving on the right track! It's our defeatist alcoholic brains that are making us feel poorly - when in reality, you're doing so great! Believe it, it's true! Enjoy your birthday, take a deep sober breath and be happy that you're here on this earth to celebrate!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy birthday sweetheart.
Look at this as your special birthday .

You have the power to turn your life around today.
32 is so young you have your whole life ahead of you .

So don't look at what could have been , you are so lucky to have quit whilst so young , not in your 50s or 60s .
You can have children or anything you choose to do.

The world is your oyster from this birthday on How exciting xxxx

I wish i could be 32 again. This is YOUR time animal nurse.

Go grab it with both hands xxx
Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 11-16-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I will try and make the most of it. Have the day off and plan to go to the beach for a swim with two of my dogs and family and then a family dinner. Mums really supportive so I know she will try and make it a happy day. I will definitely turn up some salt n pepa and bust a move, but maybe in private lol snoozy Q, thank you, loved what u said xx
Old 11-16-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Snoozy said it perfectly. AN, you are soooo lucky to be smart enough to treat this addiction while you are young and have a long and full life ahead of you !!!

Have a fantastic birthday !!
Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday! I know they can be difficult - I've had about 20 more of them than you. I can understand how you feel regret and loss. But you should also be proud that you are taking positive, healthy steps into the future. Who knows what magic it will hold for you?!
Enjoy your special day!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy birthday! I also know the feeling. I am 38 and spent a long time focusing on the "what ifs" and "I could haves" and "should be's." Should be married, should have had kids, could have my own home by now, should have...

All that did was keep me wanting to drink.

As Dee says, the past is the past. And I do not believe life is random, even the hard parts. So I bet you've got some very amazing stuff waiting for you on the other side of this current struggle, AN. You're getting through it, you're doing amazingly well, and it is going to get easier and easier.

And for me, from here? Now being sober for nine months and realizing how very much better, brighter and...livelier...life is? I can't WAIT to see whats coming. And I am equally happy where I am now. What a relief that is, finally!

Happiest of days to you and use it as a celebration for all that is to come. And, trust me, a lot of good stuff IS coming your way.

Hugs and lots of love to you!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

happy birthday! don't look at it as the end of an old year but the beginning of a new one, full of opportunities, struggles, hope and adventure.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday,

Enjoying it with your dogs and family actually sounds absolutely wonderful! Not to mention the swim, I am looking at 40 degrees F here so no swim here which I love to do. Have a super day and enjoy it one moment at a time!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have a wonderful birthday!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by animalnurse9 View Post
So as it says above, I'll be 32 tomorrow. I hate birthdays. Every year it reminds me of my shortcomings.
I'm going to dare to wish you a very happy 32nd birthday animalnurse and make a suggestion: how about using this birthday to list 32 good things about yourself. I'll start with three ...

1. You are compassionate.
2. You're young, strong and a good runner.
3. You have determination and perseverance.