Notices

Tremors when writing

Old 11-16-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tremors when writing

I have difficulty writing steady because when I put pen to paper, my hand shakes slightly. The alcoholic up there in my noggin has been telling me it's essential tremor rather than alcohol induced tremor.

There's not much point to this story. Just my most recent motivation for wanting to get sober. On day 1 today, but it feels different this time. Recent drinking hasn't even been fun. It's just been something that I do. A habit. I don't want to let alcohol get me, and I know it's trying its damnedest to do so.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had such terrible shakes during my drinking days that I could not write legibly. I chalked it up to "lack of practice, because I'm on a computer all the time". I couldn't face my worst fears, which was that alcohol was starting to take a physical toll.

But it was. And if you're like me, it's doing that to you, also. This is a bad sign. I hate to say it, but it only goes downhill from here. For the record, I had very bad withdrawal seizures when I stopped drinking - so be careful. Make sure you consult a doctor.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There can be all kinds of reasons for that.
Of course, see a Dr if you're concerned, but yeah - good motivation...

D
Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. Definitely not asking for medical advice. I plan to give it a month and if it doesn't clear up, see a doctor about it (95% sure it's the alcohol).
Old 11-16-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had the exact same problem. I filled out all forms I possibly could on a computer rather than print them out because my handwriting was so bad. It also happened if I had to exert any kind of mild force. For example, squeezing one of those black clips for stacks of paper, pushing down on a coffee dispenser or even holding up a pitcher of water to pour a glass. People noticed and I just said I had shaky hand syndrome.

A couple of weeks after I stopped drinking, it went away. I didn't notice right away but I had to fill out a form one day and realized I wasn't struggling to keep my pen still. I was so relieved! I'm sure people have noticed I don't have the shaky hand issue anymore but nobody has said anything. The fact I don't smell like booze everyday probably gave away the fact I realized I had a problem and gave it up without me having to say anything.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
Yes. Definitely not asking for medical advice. I plan to give it a month and if it doesn't clear up, see a doctor about it (95% sure it's the alcohol).
Hey there. I'm prepping for rehab and getting shakes after about 3 hours without. Good luck to you, friend.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too had tremors and like you denied it was the alcohol. After 5 days of sobriety my hands have quit shaking. Good luck to all.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i remember a time that i quit drinking that i had tremors so bad i could only drink water from plastic cups with a straw. i was too afraid that i'd drop a glass cup. at the time, i also had to be amazingly careful about stairs because i would misjudge the distance and miss a step. also, every step down or up stairs would send a jolt through my body. during the second night of withdrawals, i had a seizure. i stayed up all night certain my husband would wake up to a dead wife. please consider getting help. alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. better safe than dead.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, I also got the shakes pretty badly towards the end of my drinking days. I interview people for a living (using a good old pad and pen) and it was horribly embarrassing to be trying to take down someone's story, which was inevitably heartbreaking and important, and my hand would be shaking so badly my assistant would have to step in for me.

I think I tried to use the "shaky hand/essential tremor disorder" excuse a couple of times but when you also reek of booze, as I did, I don't think anyone was buying it.

I often wish I could go back to each and every one of those people and apologize for being so disrespectful of their stories as to show up in a condition where I couldn't properly write them down.

I can't. But I can make sure it never happens again.

Get the medical help you need, Ima, but I think when you quit drinking you'll be amazed at how many things improve
Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like others have stated, I too had horrible shaky hands towards the end of my drinking days. It was so very embarrassing and zapped any remaining self-esteem I might of had left in me. I would often take my wife to doctor appointments so she could fill out the forms. If they had an online form I could fill out in private, all the better. If I tried to write something, I would try sooo very hard to concentrate and make it stop, but that just seemed to make it worse. If someone was watching me write you it was beyond horrible, and it only got worse the more I tried to control it.

One of the most embarrassing times (not writing related) was a golf outing with my Dad. My hands were shaking so bad that my Dad had to eventually start teeing up my golf ball for me. It was a horrible day. Did that stop the drinking? No, I just no longer golfed.

It probably took about 3-4 weeks after getting sober before my shaking completely stopped. Now I can write without a worry in the world. It's one of those little things that just make being sober all the better.

All the best to you.

Methodman
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

think my tremors and jitteriness stopped after about 2 weeks . i guess we're all different tho'

m