Notices

Crushing on another AA

Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Crushing on another AA

Hey everyone,
I'm new in the program--about 2.5 months sober. I am having a pretty hardcore crush on one of the men in the program and it's very distracting. I get really nervous around him at the meetings and at night I can't sleep. The feelings were there when I met him, but only intensified over the last couple of weeks. We've exchanged a couple of longer-than-normal supportive hugs and glances, which have left me wanting and curious. I love the meetings I go to, so even though he's there everyday I really don't want to go to different meetings. He has 2 years sober, but recently ended a relationship and seems quite heartbroken. My slight co-dependent nature totally wants to coddle the little bird with a broken wing, so I'm aware that's not the best situation to put myself in. I realize the last thing I need is to distract myself from the stuff I need to work on by obsessing over another--and the last thing this kind, broken hearted man needs is for some unstable newcomer to be crushing on him. I really don't know the guy aside for the meetings. We could have nothing in common. I just feel such chemistry (I know, probably because I'm actually feeling) and want to find out if there is really anything there or if I'm totally making this up in my head. I feel like if I had a couple of conversations with him, maybe I could diffuse this whole thing. He seems deep, caring, super funny, in touch with his emotions and very much a gentleman. I sincerely want to find out how he's doing and maybe at some point down the line, get some coffee with him just so I can see if my ideas about this person are real or imaginary. Am I just a normal nutty newcomer? Everyday I avoid eye contact my crush grows stronger. Hard to tell if it's intuition pushing me to approach him or just the difficulty of saying no to desire. Any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

This will probably not what you want to hear but...stop. breathe. Think about this.

I think it's wise to wait.

At 2.5 months, you're still working out who sober you is.

I reckon now is not the time to introduce a significant other into the mix - sounds like he has his own issues right now too?

If you have a sponsor, talk to them.

Why not go to different meetings for a while - womens meetings might be the best?

I may be wrong, but ti sounds like there's a lot of fantasy and imagination here but not much of the tangible stuff, you know?

I recognise it cos I used to do this ALL the time.

Focus on yourself for now.

If, in a few months, these feelings are still there, you're be better equipped to work out what they mean, I think?

D
Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee for your advice. I'm not ready for a significant other and I realize that a lot of this is my mind making mountains out of little mole hills. I truly do want the chance to get to know him, person to person. However, it may be best to take heed and wait because I guess the obsession and/or fantasy is probably not the healthiest…I just don't want to keep building this person up in my mind without getting to know him at all. I feel like we'd really get along, but again, how the heck can I know? As I'm writing this I realize this whole situation is probably just a reflection of my thinking problem….
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You said something really significant here:

Originally Posted by BombusQueen View Post
I realize the last thing I need is to distract myself from the stuff I need to work on by obsessing over another
I'd think about that. If you're anything like me you'll do anything to avoid dealing with your problems, up to and including creating new ones Not saying that this situation is necessarily a problem, but if you're using it to escape that's no bueno.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

If someone with two years of sobriety in AA allows himself to become romantically involved with you after only two-and-a-half months, that's a radioactive red flag.

Of course, you and he will do what you'll do.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

if there is truly something, it will still be there in ten months when you are more grounded and he is not on the rebound, right?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks CarlottaThat's what the little angel on my shoulder keeps telling me! I think the part that wants immediately is only fear: the opposite of love. So yes, thank you.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I hit three months sober I had the same issue. I was lonely. Meetings and work, meetings and work, I wanted something more.

I called a person from my past that I knew was sober. We hooked up and started a FWB relationship but I obsessed. My thoughts were of him, when we would see each other again, would he call this weekend, what if he calls and I am at a meeting?, does he really like me...on and on. It was a distraction that I did not need nor I could I afford.

Eventually I came to my senses and realized this was not the type of relationship I wanted nor deserved. To get what I feel I really wanted to have, I needed to work on me and that takes time.

It in the end it was a just a blip on my recovery screen. I was lucky he was not in the program as that would be awkward to see him at meetings. It may have kept me away when what I needed more than anything was to be in the rooms.

I say to myself a lot these days when my patience grows thin, if it is meant to be, it will be. I hand it over to my HP to handle so I can continue on my course.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
If someone with two years of sobriety in AA allows himself to become romantically involved with you after only two-and-a-half months, that's a radioactive red flag.

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
if there is truly something, it will still be there in ten months when you are more grounded and he is not on the rebound, right?
I think those are two excellent points. You're new to recovery, he's fresh out of a relationship. You're both beyond vulnerable, really bad place to start something new.
I bet if you found a new group it wouldn't take long before you found another love interest to be crushing on. Point being, I suspect your feelings for him has more to do with the need to fill a void than him being "the one".
Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I can honestly say, I never had a crush on any AA member and some were quite hot. I suppose there was too much going on. Plus I didn't want to get involved with an alky. It took me a while to realise that I WAS one myself
Old 11-15-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I met this guy in AA 2.5 years ago and felt that same crush feeling.... Crush or not, I wasn't really interested in dating someone in the fellowship. Been there, done that, ended up drinking again.....

My sponsor suggested that the only relationship I needed the first year was one with my higher power. I followed this suggestion.

This past summer, I started talking to him more when I saw him. Again, not really seeking a relationship, especially not with another AA....

We did exchange phone numbers....

We started dating in September. I am so very glad I waited! The emotional roller coaster a relationship brings is intense. I don't know if I could have handled this at 2 months sober. Not only that, I was pretty "broken" back then.

We're taking things slowly and all seems okay today.

There's a lot more to my story than I am writing, but seriously, try to stay stopped before venturing forward with a relationship. If you are like me, I've gotten drunk when relationships have failed me in the past, I wasn't willing to start drinking again at this point in my life. He's my age with 7 years of sobriety and is still rebuilding his life (I am also still rebuilding my life). I'm 52 with 2.5 years of sobriety as of tomorrow. There IS hope!

I wish you well!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post

Totally agree that person should know better.

Last thing I was interested in when I quit drinking was taking on someone elses baggage along with my own.

And us alcoholics aren't know for our patience either. It's all about instant gratification. At least for me it is.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I am having a pretty hardcore crush on one of the men in the program and it's very distracting.
Danger, Will Robinson! Talk to your sponsor...consider another meeting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Robot.jpg (54.7 KB, 223 views)
Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm new in the program--about 2.5 months sober.

I am having a pretty hardcore crush on one of the men in the program

Any thoughts?
it's a common thing known to man (or woman)

most of these early sobriety crushes don't make for a long term relationship

even knowing that

as with the moth -- drawn to the flame

MM
Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know when I went to AA it was very strict,women stick with the women.This is the reason why.We're so very vulnerable in early sobriety.

tbh I think a man in AA even hugging a new female member is going too far-it could give out the wrong signal,especially when we are so vulnerable. Not everyone has the same motives-some people do prey on the vulnerable. Simple things can be misconstrued,especially to the alcoholic

Even pretending it's just friendship-be honest, you fancy him and probably want more than friendship.

Maybe stick closer to the women,or even attend another meeting.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Would you still have these feelings for him if he hadn't just been "heartbroken"?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I found that when I was in AA/NA in past attempts at getting clean and sober that I was lusting over this one guy even though I was married.

I personally believe it is our addiction manifesting itself in another form. It was a rush seeing him at meetings, kinda like a high just like drugs. The adrenaline starts pumping, you get a little sexually excited etc.

He had 3 years sober at that time and I would watch him and I noticed that he had this unbelieveble integrity, that even though he was so attractive, he did not go up and hug new ladies or girls in recovery.

Later he had mentioned He didn't see how that was a benefit to his recovery or theirs.

He was seeking help from those with experience, strength and hope. There was no point in him hugging a new girl. He could easily welcome her with a simple hello or welcome.

He feels very strongly about other men doing the same. He cares about new people in recovery. He knows how vulnerable women are in early recovery and he doesn't want to jeopardize that.

When I heard him speak these words at a meeting, something just clicked in me and I knew he was right.

I never looked at him the same again. Now I look at him with great respect and he is a friend who I see at a meeting every week. I have seen attractive men come into the rooms since then but because of him, I also strive to have that kind of integrity so I as a woman do not run up and hug them.

I do see him hug ladies who have been around awhile and who have a solid foundation in recovery and he even hugs me now and I even am pretty sure that he saw this transition in me. Cuz I used to be all giddy when I met him, I am sure he knew I had a crush on him.

One day I hope to tell him how his appropriate behavior totally turned me around. I am sure it will be a funny conversation.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

what to watch out for

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post

I know when I went to AA it was very strict,women stick with the women.

This is the reason why.We're so very vulnerable in early sobriety.

I think a man in AA even hugging a new female member is going too far-it could give out the wrong signal,especially when we are so vulnerable.

Maybe stick closer to the women
I just wanted to highlight

some good strong healthy points made

helps us to concentrate on sobriety

by strictly sticking with our same gender (especially in early stages)

today - One Day At A Time - we need not complicate this thing

what to watch out for - self deception

MM
Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

When I got into NA I had an insane knee knocking crush on this one guy. I had followed up on crushes (outside the program) before, and not to good outcomes because my brain on a crush is worse than no brain at all.

I sat in places where I could not make eye contact with him. Did not hug him at the end of meetings. It's real simple to just hug one or two of the women and start a conversation, or start putting up chairs etc and it not be an issue to not hug someone. Out of meetings when I started thinking about him, I'd turn to my literature and get busy seeing how it applied to my life. I had to make an effort to not put energy in that direction..

And in time I realized that I use crushes/relationships etc as a 'high', and as a distraction to the more mundane issues in life. It was so much more fun to think about that man than it was to deal with the issues in my life.

In time, not being fed, it subsided and became a non issue. I was involved in my program, and made friends and was glad I hadn't "gone there" not even in my head, because I have no reason to think this man had any interest at all. A few months in the program and it was clear to me that most of the drama in the rooms was due to romance/sexual relationships...oh dear. Women fighting over getting the attention of men. People thinking that their spouse was cheating or that other people in the rooms were flirting with their partner, illicit affairs, divorces, 13th stepping.

I had to remind myself that I was in the program to focus on recovery.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
When I got into NA I had an insane knee knocking crush on this one guy. I had followed up on crushes (outside the program) before, and not to good outcomes because my brain on a crush is worse than no brain at all.

I sat in places where I could not make eye contact with him. Did not hug him at the end of meetings. It's real simple to just hug one or two of the women and start a conversation, or start putting up chairs etc and it not be an issue to not hug someone. Out of meetings when I started thinking about him, I'd turn to my literature and get busy seeing how it applied to my life. I had to make an effort to not put energy in that direction..

And in time I realized that I use crushes/relationships etc as a 'high', and as a distraction to the more mundane issues in life. It was so much more fun to think about that man than it was to deal with the issues in my life.

In time, not being fed, it subsided and became a non issue. I was involved in my program, and made friends and was glad I hadn't "gone there" not even in my head, because I have no reason to think this man had any interest at all. A few months in the program and it was clear to me that most of the drama in the rooms was due to romance/sexual relationships...oh dear. Women fighting over getting the attention of men. People thinking that their spouse was cheating or that other people in the rooms were flirting with their partner, illicit affairs, divorces, 13th stepping.

I had to remind myself that I was in the program to focus on recovery.
Exactly! Thank u!