Notices

Is my fellow sober friend REALLY a FRIEND?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is my fellow sober friend REALLY a FRIEND?

Good evening all !

I've been grappling with this situation and thought I'd finally get it off my mind and type it out sinceI have been going back and forth quite a bit..

SO, a friend of mine has a friend who is newly sober and got her in touch with me several months ago (during a previous sober run) so that we could support one another, etc..

She is a therapist and had just gotten a DUI. If she gets another she will lose her license. She was adamant about going at least one year without drinking. I never agreed with this, but it's her journey after all and I'm not her sponsor.

Long and short of it is that she relapsed last weekend and told me she's not 'as bad as most of the people in the rooms' and declared she's not an alcoholic because she can take sips of her friends drinks etc. Last text I received from her was about how 'yummy yummy' a chocolate martini was that she tried. She then said "well, I don't have the same thing happen when I drink as YOU do". Meanwhile, I've never been in trouble with the law, no DUI, etc..
She's also RACING through the steps and had no one to even mention on step 4?!?!?!? She's on Step 8 and only was sober for 2.5 months before she relapsed. Said she wanted to finish to tell her clients she did them.

I feel she is making a mockery of recovery (and especially the program of AA) and has zero sensitivity for me and my journey. I feel that because she has to start counting days again (which she was PISSED about BTW) that now she wants me to relapse so she can be ahead of me. She does believe she is smarter and better than 99% of humans. She has quite the messiah complex in my opinion.

I'd love some advice on how to handle she since she is not really a friend but was just brought into my life very recently…I need to be diplomatic about my response to her but firm. I don't want to build resentment or blow up at her when it gets to be too much but I certainly don't need this in my life during this vulnerable time either…

Any suggestions??

Thank you!
Shay
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's her journey, and she is who she is. If she is an alcoholic then it sounds like she is in denial... Didn't we all fight sobriety in the beginning? I haven't met many people that were super ready and pumped to admit they were alcoholic. And some people need to fall further than others before they realise they truly have a problem.

I think treating her from a place of no judgement and well wishes is the best thing for you to do for yourself on your journey. Don't be pulled down by her comments and when she does say those sorts of things realise it is more about her than it is about you. She has to walk her own path, wherever that takes her
Old 11-11-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Shay ,
She sounds like an out of control alcoholic , who will desperately clutch on to anything to carry on denying she has a problem . It's not pretty and you don't owe anything to her .

If it were me i'd put up firm boundaries as her behaviour is what i'd class as unacceptable , sending texts about drinking to an alcoholic is a bit crass .

I'd back right off , not answer calls and if cornered by her or friends say i need to concentrate and work hard on my own recovery.

good luck with it , m
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Theophania and Mecanix !

I appreciate your advice )
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shay, that would be the end of my relationship with her. I wouldn't be able to take it. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Raider - and big congrats on day 30 is it ?

Fantastic!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Also there are plenty more people in the program with more time and experience to help, you keep working on you

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

31! Thanks for remembering.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

True Mecanix! I think I'm in the phase where I am beginning to recognize certain behaviors in myself and others which are most unhealthy for
Continued growth and transformation in life.

My hardest issue is telling someone that their behavior bothers me. I never want to hurt someone's feelings. However, I know that to get stronger and HEAL, that i need to put my own needs ahead of my acquaintances!!

We never cease to learn how to love ourselves better. The better I am, the better I can help others in their time of need..
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Don't buy into it- protect yourself. Lose your phone and change your number!!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by shay17 View Post
However, I know that to get stronger and HEAL, that i need to put my own needs ahead of my acquaintances!!
This my take on this. Nothing or no one is more important than my sobriety. The day I let that slide is the day I better start taking stock and remembering that my sobriety HAS to come before anything or anyone else. Because if I don't have that, I have nothing.

As for this woman, she is in serious denial, but I can remember thinking when I started out that I wasn't like everyone else in the room either. I wasn't homeless, had a job, wasn't on drugs and blah blah blah.

I kind of thought of myself as a high class drunk really. But at the end of the day, I was like every Tom, Dick, Harry, Sally, Martha etc, that sat in those rooms. It just took me a while to realize that.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think that a toxic relationship is not helpful to your sobriety. There are plenty of good sober people out there to form relationships with.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You don't have to be her walking cane. I think it is important first and foremost to focus on YOUR OWN recovery. That means avoiding people that put you down or make you feel bad, because that isn't conducive to recovery. It is that self-defence against addiction.

Might actually be a very smart person and really nice as well, but if you feel like her company or attention isn't working for your recovery, I'd just leave them out of my life, at least for some time duration.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovered

I would say if it's not yours, don't pick it up. I would wish her good luck and move on to offer the message of hope to someone who wants it.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i would personally back right off. its your sobriety at stake at the end of the day, which is the most single important thing.

she sounds like shes taunting you which does not sound like a friend at all.

congrats on 31 days sober!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Get Mr Number. I call it my codie app. It is excellent for "No Contact"
You can set it up to hang up on her or send all her calls and texts to voice mail.
and the price is right: free
Mr. Number - Identify spammers and block calls & texts on your mobile phone
oh and yeah she is a sick alcoholic but she also should know better as a therapist and it's horrifying thinking of that nut taking care of other people's mental health problems. Calling you about yummy chocolate martini when you are fairly new to sobriety is inexcusable!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Combative me would ask her what I should think of a therapist that encourages a friend with a treatable mental health issue to voluntarily relapse into disease behavior, and whether she thinks I'd recommend said therapist to a struggling friend. :-)

Back away from this person. Speak with your sponsor about how you should handle the situation, but be clear that it's weighing heavily on you. My advice would be to simply say that you've appreciated her camaraderie during your early sobriety, but that you think it's best for you to go your separate ways as friends. Then, wish her good luck.

One thing I noticed is that you seemed very concerned with her recovery program (I realize the irony of my stating this about someone else's recovery program). Just be careful not to take the focus off of your own program and not to measure it against other peoples. Be the best you can be.

Lastly, you deserve to have friends in your life that honor your friendship and support your recovery. AA is chalked full of those types.

Best of luck!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Shay - you need people like that around like you need a throbbing headache. She sounds toxic and completely taken by her disease, which is sad and I have compassion for her, but she also sounds manipulative and mean, which is what makes me think "see ya!". I'd just walk away, if anyone says anything about it, tell them the truth. You are doing an amazing thing staying sober and taking care of yourself. This is very hard, what you are doing, and you don't need some emotionally complicated denial queen making it harder than it is. You deserve better.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hey shay, nice post. you have some good answers here.

i'm no aa expert, but I think racing through steps is pretty counterproductive to the process. and taking other people's inventory - either she yours or you hers- doesn't help anyone, especially you.

it seems one of the most helpful things in recovery is to find people who "have what you want." people who are living good lives and seem happy in sobriety. sounds like she isn't that person.

good luck and enjoy your sobriety!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by shay17 View Post
I feel that because she has to start counting days again (which she was PISSED about BTW) that now she wants me to relapse so she can be ahead of me. She does believe she is smarter and better than 99% of humans.
If she said that she wants you to relapse, than there's really nothing to say.