Notices

Is my fellow sober friend REALLY a FRIEND?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would tell her to 'go forth and multiply' only I hate long sentences, so would probably shorten it. I think sometimes that because we have been through the shame of things we've done, we think we are worthless and need to put up with crap from people. Don't!!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Not a friend. Period.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

God help her clients. I mean, really.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shay17 View Post
I feel she is making a mockery of recovery (and especially the program of AA) and has zero sensitivity for me and my journey. I feel that because she has to start counting days again (which she was PISSED about BTW)......
Shay, she does seem to be a few clowns short of a circus, but live and let live. The steps are suggested, not mandatory, and as you noted you are not her sponsor nor is it your journey to navigate. I believe your instincts are spot on, though: this is definitely not the type of person you want to surround yourself with. Distance yourself politely, and simply say that you are busy when she calls (better yet, don't answer) or asks to do things. If you need cover, talk to your sponsor about whether this is a good person to have in your life. If your sponsor says she is not, follow her suggestion. If your sponsor thinks you should be spending time with her - consider getting a new sponsor.

This is life or death - treat it with the appropriate respect. She apparently doesn't understand that.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My suggestion. "You are on your own journey and I wish you the best of luck. However, I do not feel that our conversations help me in my recovery. I am committed to my sobriety and must part ways with you at this time. Be well."

A little stuffy but it is time to cut her loose. I agree, she is trying to get you to relapse. That's my gut reaction as well.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Shay17 - congrats on your sobriety. I tend to believe our senses about people are usually correct and I bet you are right about this friend.

From what you write she sounds like she is an alcoholic and the disease has its grips on her firmly. Try to use the negative energy to push you forward. You never know but your example could be what actually helps her in the end.

I would try to disassociate though - she does not sound like a positive influence.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you all - fantastic, sound advice!!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Shay

A rather strange individual by your description. Irrespective of your stage of sobriety, I would simply avoid these types of individuals. They are of no benefit to you
Old 11-13-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Not sure I'd be strong enough to keep this person as a friend Shay. I'm all for compassion and empathy but not when it starts to damage you. From experience there's ways and means to taper off friendships without being confrontational if that's what you decide to do
Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

All the responses here are great. When I read your post the word that came to mind immediately was "toxic" which I saw was used in another reply.

Run fast and run far, she is no friend.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Shay. You have some good advice here.

It's not offensive to text her and say you are glad she seems to be going ok, and that you have some Personal stuff to focus on right now and would like some alone time. Take care!

It's that simple. Ignore anything else from her. As for your mutual friend, you don't owe her either on this other person.

Like others have said, it's simply not worth upsetting yourself with her comments. Be well and hope you put yourself first on this. Xx