Notices

Hello Friends

Old 11-10-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Friends

So... I was going to post yesterday morning, but decided not to. It was my 10th straight day sober! No moderating, no hiding, no lying! I was feeling fantastic about it and decided not to post because I wanted to wait for a "bigger milestone" since I've always been very pro-moderation and 10 days seemed sort of pitiful to me. So I kept my success to myself and headed out to a family gathering that we had flown out of town for. The rest of the day went great! I had no cravings, no jealousy of others drinking, and the few times I thought about alcohol, it was in the "I'm so happy I'm not drinking" sense. Then, as I was helping clean up from the get together, I found myself alone at the drink table... it was conveniently hidden away from the rest of the party and there was a box of red wine (my fave) with the spout hanging innocently over the edge of the table. So... I figured it's been 10 days! Just ONE sip wont hurt! So I quickly poured a small sip, drank it, and my goodness was it good. That one sip turned into 4 or 5 more small sips... prob still less than a glass, but you see where I'm headed with this! I was FINE before my 1ST (REPEAT 1ST) sip! I honestly have never understood (or really believed) when people said it was the 1st sip that drove them back to drinking, but maybe it was my "moderating" blinding me a bit because ever since that 1st sip last night, I've had booze on the brain. I was luckily in a position last night where drinking more after the party wasn't feasible, but even today, I found a way to have a (yes one) drink, which I don't think I would have done had I not had that 1st drink yesterday. So anyhow, tomorrow I start again, but I am NOT starting over! I had a wonderful sober Halloween with my husband and son (which I was dreading for weeks fearing I'd ruin it and I didn't!), and a great first (sober) week of November! So adding on to those days will be my goal. I didn't lose my sober days, but I certainly gained some insight! Sips are not so innocent after all...

Oh... And moderating doesn't seem to work! lol (That's for those of you who know how I feel (or felt) about moderating!)
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, good on you for being so honest with yourself. It truly is the first sip that gets me also. It's like every nerve ending in my body lights up and I feel warm and fuzzy... If only that was all that happened when I drank :/ I have lurked here for a long time and only just started posting more. I am 6 days sober. I see everyday as a milestone at the moment. 10 days sober is not easy in the beginning, honestly every minute/hour/day you stay sober is an achievement and something to be proud of
Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whatever your truth is ...

I had 10.5 months clean and sober and I slipped one night. I started over and changed my date. That was my truth.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

So true, that first little drink opens a door that's hard to close. I had a tiny glass of champagne a month ago, and ever since then I've been fighting a losing battle. Hang in there, and let's both stop now before this gets worse!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Reading your comments, I'm not sure what your plan is...Or even if you have a plan.

If getting sober is where you want to be, I hope you find your way.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Whatever your truth is ...

I had 10.5 months clean and sober and I slipped one night. I started over and changed my date. That was my truth.
I don't need a "date". Every day sober is a good one IMO :-) But I see what you are saying.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Reading your comments, I'm not sure what your plan is...Or even if you have a plan.

If getting sober is where you want to be, I hope you find your way.
Oh my goodness... I'm ALREADY regretting posting!! Yes, getting sober is my goal, and yea I have a plan. Ya'll can be pretty quick on the draw to knock folks down. I SAID I am staring over tomorrow... Not I am getting drunk tomorrow...
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
Oh my goodness... I'm ALREADY regretting posting!! Yes, getting sober is my goal, and yea I have a plan. Ya'll can be pretty quick on the draw to knock folks down. I SAID I am staring over tomorrow... Not I am getting drunk tomorrow...
An observation only, with no malintent.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If that is your truth like I said....

For me recovery starts with total and complete self honesty with out it I have no foundation and I am not in recovery yet. I didn't lose those 10 months, they were still great for me but I can not say I have 1 yr 9 months of interrupted sobriety cuz I don't. I slipped. I now have 10 + months of uninterrupted sobriety.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope you can find a way to keep the sips and slips from happening Pinot. What is going to be different with your plan this time? Perhaps posting more often or not waiting for milestones might help? I stayed glued to SR the first few weeks myself.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Pinot

Rather than 'knocking you down' I think people are just worried for you.
You've been struggling for a while, and we've all been there.

We want to see you succeed this time.

Maybe if you shared the nuts and bolts of your plan, you'd get some good feedback on it?
Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I understand that you want to cling to your original date as that was the last time you were 'off your face pi$$ed'. I know, you know that you're playing with fire, so I'll leave it at that and just add, that I'm here (as are the others), if you need/want to talk Xx
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
I understand that you want to cling to your original date as that was the last time you were 'off your face pi$$ed'. I know, you know that you're playing with fire, so I'll leave it at that and just add, that I'm here (as are the others), if you need/want to talk Xx
I'm not clinging to any date! I dont care about the last time I was "off my face pi$$ed" or whatever the hell you are talking about. Ugg. I DON'T NEED A SPECIFIC DATE TO BE SOBER. All I was saying was I had a drink, and didn't like it. Is that the Fu**ing craziest thing ever posted here?? gee wizz!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I'm not clinging to any date! I dont give a s**t about the last time I was "off my face pi$$ed" or whatever the hell you are talking about. Ugg. I DON'T NEED A SPECIFIC DATE TO BE SOBER. All I was saying was I had a drink, and didn't like it. Is that the Fu**ing craziest thing ever posted here?? gee wizz!
Wow. Guess i'll leave you to it. Good luck
Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Look back where you were:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eeks-what.html

You think a post like yours would have helped or hurt?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

we're all getting a little overheated here.
If we can't remain civil I'll close the thread.

Personally I don't care what date you choose Pinot - I think thats far less important than what you do now.

D
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Do you have a plan? How are you going to deal with it next time the urge for a sip arsies -because it will. For me it was important to learn how to deal with those situations when they arise ,because they will arise. Maybe avoid parties,even family gatherings, where alcohol is flowing in the early weeks .We think we HAVE to attend certain functions but we don't.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Pinot. I'm having a little craving right now - thinking that one sip wouldn't hurt. But I will take your experience to heart.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Closed by request of OP.

D