Notices

Okay so far

Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Okay so far

Hi everyone, I am kinda freaked out right now, I don't think I've ever posted anything on any message board before, and I have been putting this off for the past few days, so I thought I would finally get it done tonight. Well, I stopped drinking 8 days ago. It has been a problem for the past six years. It started being a problem about six years ago, when my then-fiance had a miscarriage about half way through her pregnancy. Within a few weeks after it happened, I was drinking at least a little bit almost every day. She ended up leaving me, (I was a mess, I don't blame her), and the drinking intensified. I eventually got over the worst of the grief, but the drinking continued. It then got to the point where I was sober for work (most of the time), and that was about it. It was only by the grace of God that I managed to never get in any legal trouble or DUI's or anything like that, because there were times when I just didn't give a crap. I did manage to kinda slow it down after a year, but it didn't stop. Then the cycle started, where i would go a few weeks or months drinking heavily, then slowing down for a few, then back to heavy, and so on. That kept up until 8 days ago. I woke up in the morning feeling like crap, looking all bloated and sick, dehydrated like hell, and I think I just decided that was it. I had been thinking about quitting for a few weeks, I'm not really sure why I decided that morning was the time, but I did. Then I logged on to the iPad for info on quitting, and found this website. The first two days were horrible, miserable, and my head didn't feel right. I had the shakes pretty bad, and the first two days was mostly spent shaking and craving, and the nights were filled with strange nightmares and lots of cold sweats. I also felt like I had a bad case of the flu. I woke up on the third day feeling better than I had in a long time. I had become quite good at hiding my drinking, so noone close to me knew about my problem. But when I had to work on the fourth day, EVERYONE noticed a change in me, one co-worker said my eyes were brighter and I was smiling more, and my complection was better. Another asked me if I had started taking antidepressants! Hearing that I looked that much different after just a few days made me want to continue trying to get better even more! On the sixth day i woke up thinking about what I was going to do that day, not when i was going to get a drink. When I get the craving for a drink, I go swimming in the pool, and it works like magic! Its funny, I have gone swimming every day since I stopped drinking, and before that, I had probably swam in the pool a total of 3 times in the two years I've lived here. Before I stopped, I would wake up every half hour for water because I was so dehydrated from drinking the day before. Now that I drink as much water as I can hold during the day, I sleep the entire night through without waking up thirsty. I could go on and on about all the little changes I've noticed over the past 8 days. I realize that I have barely gotten started towards recovery and have a LONG ways to go, I am just thankful I decided to try to stop, I am thankful I found this site, and for so many other things. Well, I think I have rambled on long enough, Thank you to all the people that have posted, you guys give me hope that I can maybe do this too!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and to SR. Imagine how good you're going to look and feel as time goes on
Old 11-10-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR JPSkate.

You seem to have taken the right decision.

Great to feel the improvements – you will not regret it.

I am soon 100 sober, tomorrow, I have taken up exercising again and just feel a lot better than I have done for years.

I am glad you joined.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome JPSkate! I am so glad you stumbled upon us!!

It only gets better as you accumulate more and more consecutive sober days!!!

Keep reading and keep posting!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome JP, what a great post and decision you have made. you are not "going on and on", don't ever worry about that - i, and i bet others, appreciated and learned from your post. congratulations on 8 days!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi JP,

to SR and congratulations on 8 days! I am glad you found this site. You will find a lot of guidance & support here. Read other people's posts & take from them, what you need & leave the rest.

Keep posting & keep us updated on your sobriety.

Good luck
Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome JP. This place was a game changer for me. Perfect place to check in and see that you aren't alone. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the welcomes and encouragement! I have been on this site whenever i have free time today, it has been such HUGE help getting through this
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you decided to stop drinking. It keeps on getting better from here.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome JPSkate, congrats on 8 days. There is lots of support here. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

That's a great story, Skate.

Wondering if you're a fellow skater?

Many (most?) people just don't comment when someone looks markedly better than how they usually look. So I'm certain there are many others who've noticed the change. I'm sure most of us just look much better after we put down the drink, and this only gets better over time.

Of course, there are many internal changes that take place when we get sober as well, and at some time in recovery (for most people I know), life becomes this wonderful adventure.

Welcome, and keep up the good work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chickenbetterlooking.jpg (50.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

EndGameNYC- Yup I am. Ive been skating for almost 22 years, I just went to the park for the first time in 4 months. I had always skated, even when I was drinking, until four months age. I thought I was loosing my sense of balance and just couldn't function on my board. Being able to skate again is one of the many reasons I quit drinking.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JP

D
Old 11-11-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome JPskate. I can "hear" your enthusiasm, I think you will love it here! That feeling and looking better thing will only get better and better!!
Congrats on your success keep at it!