Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

26 days sober, almost to the 1 month mark, but what a boring month it has been!

Notices

26 days sober, almost to the 1 month mark, but what a boring month it has been!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was pretty bored the first few months, I often complained about it here many fellow posters offered suggestion to which I thought, yeah ok not going to happen.

At 7 months when I look back I realize now I had a really pissed off ****** attitude. I was confusing tranquility for bordom. Just ride it out, you brain chemistry is going bonkers and likely very depleted in pleasure chemicals.

Use this boring time as a self healing time, boring can be restful. And one more thing in the first several months most emotional states are heightened. So instead of being sad you get distraught, instead of nervous you get panic, instead of joy you get manic. Just ride it out. IT WILL GET BETTER!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's natural to think that endless "gap" of time you have to fill without alcohol feels like boredom. In the beginning of sobriety I felt I had endless spaces of time I had to fill without alcohol.

It does get easier, and to be honest drinking is dead boring the way we do it. I'm finally starting to genuinely enjoy things I thought could only be enjoyed with alcohol. Listening to music for example, watching tv, in the beginning was hard without a drink to zone out.

Now I love listening to music, don't listen to it ad nauseum and actually remember what I've downloaded!

Stick at it, the pouty "I'm bored!!!!" Voice starts to subside and you see how life can feel without alcohol.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

My dad used to say, "Boredom is a luxury!"
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

In the very beginning I planned things to do ahead of time for the coming weekend. Every Friday night was a movie. I don't know if you like to read but I consumed myself with books. Both of these things were something I never did but love because drinking was more important.

I think I've read more books and seen more movies in the past 5 months than I had the whole previous 10 years. Perhaps more.

What are some things that you like to do that you couldn't before because you were drinking?
Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Haha....ditto for me on that Ladyblue. I've eaten 10 years worth of popcorn since July! Even when I didn't feel like seeing a movie, it was my religious Saturday night date with myself.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post

Yes, my sleep, health, relationships have all been improving
most people would be happy with that
sounds as if you just want to drink
many times
that's what's so convincing
returning to the bottle in time brought me to a new low

guess everyone needs to find there bottom
before having a true desire to stop[ drinking

MM
Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
Yes, my sleep, health, relationships have all been improving but I have been so bored this past month. I'm really not sure if sobriety is for me. Then on the other hand, my life has been a lot less stressful. Maybe this is me just missing that initial buzz, the warmth, the relaxation brought on by a drink.

I'm only at day 18, so I can certainly relate. What I wouldn't give to be able to say my relationships have been improving. I'm still hopeful the woman I love with all my heart will give me another chance. She's paying attention to my progress, but still not speaking to me. If everyone you consider important to you is still on your team, count your blessings.
I'm bored often too, but I've been working hard to align myself with "safe" friends, and things are getting better slowly. I have nearly 20 years of bad social habits to unlearn, Fri/Sat nights are now totally mundane.