Notices

Struggling

Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Struggling

Got paid on Friday, have spent whole weekend drunk again. I feel like i am losing this battle.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You won't if you don't give up.

OK, so you lost the weekend, so what will you do differently this week to change the outcome?

I kept failing over and over until I changed what I was doing also.

I made a plan and took little steps at first. I didn't want to do AA, so I bought herbal tea, jointed a gym (but could have just as well run around the lake if I didn't have the cash) got some dried fruit to help with sugar cravings, and started detoxing on a Thursday. I wish I had gotten some medical support in hindsight, but made it through with old movies, reading sci-fi books, and writing in journal.

I did not go anywhere alcohol was served. I did not take a route home from work that took me near a liquor store. I avoided that aisle in the grocery. I kept reminding myself that I meant business and went for a walk or took a shower if a craving was bad.

It isn't easy but it is doable. I'm so glad I didn't quit trying to quit booze and I finally succeeded. Sobriety is wonderful and I believe you can get there. Keep posting here and let us help.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Try18 View Post
Got paid on Friday, have spent whole weekend drunk again. I feel like i am losing this battle.
Try18 - It is an absolute battle!!! You will not lose if you just keep trying to stop. Eventually you will get it.

Here is advice YOU posted on another SR member's thread on October 27, 2013:
"Try and pull it back before your life gets completely unmanageable again. You stayed sober for 5 years ... You can do it again! Please. I am emerging from a relapse that went on for months, and my behaviour and the blackouts got worse, and harder to stop again. I am now 48 hours + sober again and already feel a bit of fight coming back. You are worth it. Being vulnerable can be turned into a ppositive if you use it to get vulnerable with people who can support you back to sobriety.
I wish you well, and i feel your pain. Keep fighting."

I hope you realize that you are worth it too. Just Keep Fighting!!!

It is never too late for a new Day One!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

It is as if Im always rooting for everyone else but have no respect for myself. You are all a great support. Thankyou xxx
Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do this. Do not give up ever. We are here for support, so keep posting and reading.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have a little faith in yourself that you can do this. I tried and failed many times before finally 'getting it right'. But I didn't give up and now I'm happily sober almost four years. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is as if Im always rooting for everyone else but have no respect for myself.
Change Number 1 - Root for yourself first!! You live with yourself. You need to learn to love yourself. And remember YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

It's always good to hear from people who struggled badly and have long term sobriety. Gives me hope Xxx
Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Do you think it's advisable to see my doctor?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Try;
From what I have read here it is a good idea and perhaps they can give you something to make the detox a bit easier. You may have the kindling thing happening since you were sober before and have relapsed.

I say do anything you haven't tried yet to change the equation.

As others have said, you are worth it.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you think it's advisable to see my doctor?
... Absolutely Yes !!! ...
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Sorry to be naive but what is kindling? I have made an appointment for Thursday x
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Try18 welcome .... i get it! complete ID with "weekend drunk again" and "struggling"
i am just starting to use this platform, i am at three days sober and the poison is nearly out yet again. Somethings got to give i am v close to a break down..... taking little walks, drinking a lot of tea, checking in here. Chicken soup and bread if you can manage that today...someone else new today too called Bogie ,,,,we can join the Class of November 13.

ONE OF THE MEMBERS HERE SAY'S THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE AND DONE....

IF I could only remember how bad i feel today... i am routing for you, dont know how many attempts you have made at keeping the plug in the jug but i can tell you that i have lost count. Soberrecovery is helping me today, thank you members!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Try;
I don't have a link but I know it is somewhere on this site--maybe someone can help out by posting a link.

It is, in short as I recall, how for many people each time you withdraw from alcohol your detox symptoms can get worse. I don't think it's true for everyone, but I had a very nasty detox after a short relapse when I had been two years sober, so I know it's a real thing for some people. Here is a Wikipedia link but there are much more complete studies online I believe:

Kindling (sedative-hypnotic withdrawal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kmacksax View Post

ONE OF THE MEMBERS HERE SAY'S THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE AND DONE....
That member must so wise and probably speaking from a world of experience!! I would listen to her if I were you!!!

Try18 - Great news about your Dr. appointment. Perhaps it may be helpful to bring a copy of your posts and share with them your doctor too.... Make your recovery a partnership between you and your Doctor!!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Been throwing up all night, am scared to go to sleep. Not much to me at the moment, only weighing 103lbs, know this is all taking it's toll on my body xxx
Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

try, sip on some water if you can.

if you feel you need medical attention, get to an urgent care or er.

this can be the last time you have a withdrawal, if you can keep from picking up. get through this, it's soooooo worth it. and so are you!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

On the water, i can literally feel my insides lapping it up! Have doctor on Thursday, shall wait it out til then xxx
Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I have never been so thirsty in my life . is it possible to drink too much water?