Notices

Physical changes since becoming sober

Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical changes since becoming sober

Hi Everyone,

I remember reading a thread about all of the wonderful physical changes that happened in sobriety. Thought I would start a new one for the newcomers. Anyone want to weigh in?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Although I am back at day 1 today I know from my past experience that my face starts to glow - I lose the sallow pale bloated face.

I want to do it this time. I know I need help - thats why I am here.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I do not have dark circles under my eyes anymore, I always looked exhausted
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I can cross my legs with ease now as I don't have a bloat from the booze in the belly and thighs. I LOVE SOBRIETY !!!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I went to an old friend's house yesterday. Hadn't seen me or our other friend for 5 years. She went out of her way to tell me how great I looked. Didn't say anything like that to my friend (who continues to drink btw).
Just a small thing, but I have had that happen to me over and over again since I quit. They know something is different about me, but can't put a finger on what it is.

In real terms, I have lost 30 lbs. I am not bloated anymore. My eyes aren't red all the time. The little red lines have gone away from my face. Mentally, I can remember things again.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

The first thing I noticed was that my skin got really, really soft! That was a lovely, unexpected benefit
Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I lost 12 lbs in the first month but has since gained 6 back. I am changing fat to muscle...although lately I have been eating as a way to deal with depression so need to change that.

I am not bloated in my face and feel healthy.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My body was very tense and still is a lot. I thought that using was "relaxing" to me but I was constantly "clenching" and fearful I think.

Lately, as my body is unwinding, I am having some random pain. But the most amazing thing is, and this is totally a girl thing but, I am suffering insane PMS. When I went to my doctors to speak about this and he said cause he is in the know that drugs and alcohol affect bodies by interrupting hormones. And those horomones take some time to get back to normal. He told me to ride it out and see how things are in a few months.

I can't wait to let the detoxing happen....and see what happens next.

I find that I smell a whole lot better and care a lot more about my appearance which in turn sort of is helping in my job.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I also always thought my Generalized Anxiety Disorder was something in my "control". Kind of like we have to have mind over matter and rise above the fear, etc. Discovering with many stints at short term sobriety, that the anxiety is BECAUSE of the alcohol and the chemical changes in the brain.

I have become fascinated with the brain aspect of addiction because all along I thought I was just a hot mess. Now I realize that it was always ALWAYS always the booze. In fact, I'm way stronger and tougher than I ever gave myself credit for.

I'm learning to really love life and myself. I feel like I have been brought back from the brink and I will forever be eternally grateful for this.

Twenty plus years of chemically induced neurosis. Done.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My skin looks bright and clear again, and I have lost 51 pounds in the last 6 months:-)
Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would look in the mirror the morning after a night of heavy drinking and be literally horrified at what I saw. Now, I just look... different. Part of that is probably figurative. But I think I look a lot younger. And a lot healthier.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please keep these positives coming! Thanks so much for sharing.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

My blood pressure went from high back down to the normal range in about 3 weeks after stopping.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can almost think straight. I wake up in the mornings feeling like myself again. I am not hungover, worried about what I may have done the night before and don't feel lazy and unproductive. In 8 short days, I FEEL lighter (in terms of weight)...although I don't have a scale. I know I have gained the weight in the last 3 years from alcohol...my eating habits really didn't change to speak of....I can say that I feel almost "normal". Over the last 15 years, I have accumulated about 10-11 years of sobriety...so now that I am trudging the road to happy destiny again, I remember what that felt like
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The bloating is definitely gone ..and the redness in my face has went away...I have lost 2 dress sizes (I don't use scales) , but I am much more active now that I'm not slumped over some coach in a drunken stupor...I feel much better, but anxiety does creep up occasionally, as does anger, boredom, and discontentment from time to time. AV was just talking to me, but I'm getting used to ignoring it, every day I sober, I feel stronger and stronger.

I do get social anxiety which is understandable, after all, for the past 17 years on and off (mostly on), I have been oblivious to the world around me and the people in it. Whenever I feel overly anxious I incorporate a little meditation into my daily routine (balancing out my chakras)
Old 10-22-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

BP down some- redness in face GONE- muscle soreness diminished !
Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh yea! And no more random bruising on my body from bumping into walls and running into things...my coordination is back finally and I move much, much more gracefully lol :P
Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

much more energy
Can finish projects on time
Sleep at a normal time
Saved a couple hundred dollars
Look better
Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Blood pressure dropped from 130/90 to 110/70.
Heart and lungs seem to be working much better when on my bike.
My wife says I'm no longer snoring!
Finally; with the exception of some dreams--my sleep has improved ten fold with no more insomnia.
I love waking in the morning!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Gone -- white pasty face, gurgling stomach, acid reflux, light headedness, 3pm exhaustion, morning headache, listlessness, waking in fright at 3am, diarrhea, various aches and pains, high blood pressure, splitting nails, eye spasms, bruises in strange places, dry cuticles, weird taste in my mouth, snoring, bloating, lack of appetite, desire to eat fatty sugary food

Arrived -- clear skin and eyes, smaller stomach though I have not lost weight, good digestion, rare headaches, sleep well, energy in the afternoons and all day, softer skin, heathy nails, no bruises, clear thoughts, ability to solve problems, returnn of my optimism, good appetite with a desire for healthy food, blood pressue medication quartered.

I've taken up yoga and cycling. I'm 58.