Notices

All done. Help please.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to NEVER drink. Then I would drink recreationally, maybe once every 2 months and get drunk. Out with the girls, kwim? I am 40 and it was not until about 4 years ago that I discovered the joy (ha) of wine. But I soon discovered I could drink a whole bottle of wine in a night. Then I graduated to the BIG bottles of wine. Then my husband said I was drinking too much so I switched back and forth between wine and vodka (concealing how much I was drinking) for the last two years. A year ago I was drinking only wine because coming off of vodka makes me shaking and edgy and I agreed to go to AA. I was okay coming off of that, wanted it like all hell, but no side effects. But I only stayed off of wine for a week and decided I really wasn't an alcoholic. Again, I'm sure many can relate to this logic. Started drinking wine again...started drinking MORE wine. Husband noticed intake going up...switched to vodka to hide intake...

I can easily drink a 5th of vodka a day. When I wake up in the morning I am shaky and unnerved..that is my current status. And again, I thank you for any advice, support, et all...truly.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I wish you the best.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by onthebrinj View Post
I can easily drink a 5th of vodka a day. When I wake up in the morning I am shaky and unnerved..that is my current status. And again, I thank you for any advice, support, et all...truly.
Think about it for a minute: What kind of advice could we really give that wouldn't be possibly medical in your current situation? The shaky and unnerving you feel is actually the beginning of withdrawals each day. And with the amount of vodka you've been drinking, that could be a sign of serious physical addiction. No one knows how your body might react to any home brewed withdrawal recipies, so it would be irresponsible of anyone to do so. You are in the health care profession so you must certainly realize that.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
EndGame

You know what I have to wonder, why is it that something that can kill you is LEGAL?? Pot is illegal (in most states anyway) yet you don't hear of people dying because they stop using. No, I don't do drugs, it's just a curiosity of mine that alcohol, which so many people struggle to break free from is legal but you never here of a stoner (sorry, 80s girl kicking in there) dying from quitting pot. Perhaps alcohol SHOULD be banned. Yes, that would **** a lot of people off but people don't die from pot withdrawals or cigarette withdrawal, please correct me if I'm wrong....yet alcohol is legal. Addictive. And can kill you.. Something is wrong here...
Sounds as though you're looking for a scapegoat.

The majority of people who smoke pot don't do it I because it's illegal, and the majority of people who abuse themselves with alcohol don't do it because it is legal.

Last edited by EndGameNYC; 10-19-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Never mind.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Getting out my AA book of numbers and making some calls...this is a forum and I hope more advice will come my way. We are all anonymous, no one is going to sue you for saying what helped you get through your first withdrawal days. If your answer was you went to the doctor and he prescribed meds, then, that is your answer. But I don't believe that is what the majority of the people here have done. Still, I am in need of immediate support so I am posting looking for it...not looking to upset anyone. So I will call some of the names from my AA book and if anyone is willing to share their experiences I will most certainly welcome and listen to them.

I started my post saying that I am not going to a doctor because this is my second cry for help here and most of what I heard was go to a doctor. That is not an option for me so I want to hear from people who did not have that option either or for what ever reason did it on their own Again, NOT looking for medical advice, just looking to hear how others in my situation dealt with it. And what their outcome was.
My advice is to Google AVRT and go through the "Bullets for my Beast" presentation. It will take you ten or fifteen minutes, tops. This isn't medical advice, and my results may not be typical. But it stopped my cravings/withdrawals COLD with one viewing. I was a very heavy drinker, about three bottles of wine a night, 24/7/365 for many years.

AVRT is derived from cognitive behavioral therapy; it allows you to recognize the Beast/Addictive-Voice and differentiate if from your human mind/soul.

It's worth a try!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Getting out my AA book of numbers and making some calls...this is a forum and I hope more advice will come my way. We are all anonymous, no one is going to sue you for saying what helped you get through your first withdrawal days. If your answer was you went to the doctor and he prescribed meds, then, that is your answer. But I don't believe that is what the majority of the people here have done. Still, I am in need of immediate support so I am posting looking for it...not looking to upset anyone. So I will call some of the names from my AA book and if anyone is willing to share their experiences I will most certainly welcome and listen to them.

I started my post saying that I am not going to a doctor because this is my second cry for help here and most of what I heard was go to a doctor. That is not an option for me so I want to hear from people who did not have that option either or for what ever reason did it on their own Again, NOT looking for medical advice, just looking to hear how others in my situation dealt with it. And what their outcome was.
Have you looked at the sticky under the alcoholism thread called "Quitting: What we Did" (Sorry I don't know how to make a link)

That's how I found this site. I was so sick from my withdrawals last month (which I did alone in the country with no doctor or meds ) that I was trying to figure out what was happening to me. There are many accounts there of other people's experience during the process. It was helpful to me and might be exactly the info you are looking for. I was lucky I didn't have seizure but had just about everything else. Not fun.

Also, there is something called "kindling" which is where each time you withdraw you can actually have more severe effects. I was much sicker this time even though I drank much less for only 2 weeks or so compared to before. I bet someone here has link to that article. It took me about five days for acute things (racing heart, sweats, puking and dry heaves, swollen throat and glands where it was difficult to breathe when sleeping, serious facial and body rash, etc. to abate. I was also a vodka drinker (but not at the levels you mention) and like you had to keep my job and was not able to take time off. I know that part is so very hard to deal with

Some basics for me were eating plain white rice and chicken broth for nausea and to keep hydrated, lots of showers and changing sheets often from soaking cold stinky sweats, trying to watch old movies and journaling for insomnia. Paranoia, nightmares, hamster brain and so on also began to abate by about day 3. Until I found this site I didn't know what I was risking just doing it myself. I feel much better now and do not ever ever want to do that again, nor would I without going to a doctor first. Nobody here wants to deny you help, but I am an example of what can happen on your own. I'm lucky to be here but at the time I really just thought it would be hard and miserable, not dangerous. I know better now.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I don't know where you are but the medical community is very well represented in the ranks of alcoholics. Go figure. In some large medical facilities, there are aa meetings comprised mostly of medical staff.
If you wish for the discussion for a doctor visit to go away, poof, it can be gone if that's what you want.
I think a pertinent question is: what your going to do next? There are a lot of programs, resources, support and structure for the recovering alcoholic if they look for it. It's all out there: outpatient rehab, a variety of faith based and non-faith based free recovery programs, like aa and rational recovery, addictions counseling, 30-day and up rehab. Might be worth a look.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok- I detoxed without medical supervision- a giant game of russian rolette I think BUT- you asked, I am honest- and here was my first 3 days: The day before detoxing I tried to taper- (FAIL! I can't ease off the poison) but I was able to start my vitamin regime- B complex with c, calcium and multivitamin. I take these every morning now. I drank LOTS of water, and gatorade and all-sport, increased foods high in potassium (These are good for high blood pressure: bananas, apricots and baked potatoes- which btw- were bl;and enough for my upset tummy to tolerate). I did NO PHYSICAL activity- just wanted to try and keep BP in check. I truly kept to myself by reading, watching tv and trying to meditate- lights low- etc. After night one of "super sweats" I began keeping extra night clothes at the bed side. When I woke up drenched I'd change and then have a large glass of water or gatorade to replenish. By day 3 - into 4 I was feeling better- able to go out and interact and by the end of day 4 was feeling "reborn". PLease keep us posted! Good luck! .
Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I've heard showers and baths help a lot of people.

Plain coconut water is a natural alternative to gatorade...it's pretty easy to find at grocery stores. Trader Joe's has their own and there is a company called zima that sells a plain one as well as flavored ones.

I personally found a box of tissues handy, I cried a lot.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support and PMs and pointing me to that "How we did it" thread. I've been reading it all morning.

Good news is, I've been up since 6am, last drink was at 8:30 last night. Normally I'd be standing outside the liquor store waiting to get a bottle right now. I'm not. I refuse to leave the house and even tempt myself today. I sent my husband to the store for vitamins and juice.

I am nervous. I am a little nauseated. And I'm battling that want to drink vs do not want to drink monster in my head. I've decided to go take a shower, do the laundry, read a good book, stay home today and work my way through this. Eating something would probably help but nothing sounds good and my mouth tastes terrible. Day 1, here I come. :-/
Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to journal positives too. Like losing some of the weight all this drinking put on my body. Not being tired all the time. Not being depressed. Not feeling terrible for lying to people. Not joining in activities because I don't want to be away from the bottle.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

oooooooooooooooooops
Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi, I would try and keep away from the xanax, you risk replacing one addiction for another. I didn't go to a dr or AA. It's been really hideous, I've had a few days off work when I really couldn't cope but I'm muddling along. I find SR helps, hearing about others journeys makes me feel inspired. I gave up on sleep and just accepted it if I couldn't sleep rather than battle it.
Best of luck
Old 10-20-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Water, tea, jam on toast, bananas and try to focus on something like an epic movie on Tv or something. I know you don't want to drink so I shan't give you a load of precious aa jargon. Just rest.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
oooooooooooooooooops
?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

See a doctor if you start to feel too weird. xxx
Old 10-20-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

?
So sorry onthebrinj. I had inadvertently posted a PM response to another member on this thread and just rushed with my "ooooooops" to edit/remove it.

I had no thoughts to add here really as I was leery to post anything that would spank of advice since I have no idea what your consumption level is and what consequences may occur when putting down the drink.

I was a wino who drank at night. I didn't think my consumption would cause physical withdrawal so I did not seek medical attention. That was my choice, my experience and is wholly owned by me and in no way condones/negates anyone's else's choices in that regard.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
You asked for personal experiences so here's mine.

I drank like you. A fifth of vodka every day. Usually a lot more on the weekends.

I tried to detox myself, at least unintentionally (I ran out of alcohol and didn't have it it in me to get to the store to buy more). I had some klonopin but that didn't help.

I ended up in the ICU in a coma on life support. I had a 200k medical bill, plus another 15k for rehab. Best money I ever spent, even if I'm still paying for it. Money is kind of a moot issue if you're dead. I do not regret my decision at all to get to the ER, even though it put me in debt.

Not saying this will happen to you. I just don't think serious withdrawals are worth gambling with.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yoohoo, I agree with not replacing one addiction with another but I think if she's been taking Xanax already, it's more dangerous to stop suddenly. This is totally a catch-22 of course but alcohol detox is dangerous enough without adding benzo detox to the mix. I waited a couple of weeks after I got sober from booze, then started to taper off Xanax and once I was down to a quarter mg a day I was able to stop safely. My doctor approved this plan.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's noon. So far so good. A little shaky. Still need to eat. Took my vitamins. Drinking lots of juice and water. Is this a good sign or has any body experienced being able to deal with it day 1 to OMG I'm going to die day 2. How do you know when you've reached the safe period after going cold turkey?

Like I said, previously I'd be shaking, agitated, and seeking a bottle by now. I feel a little bit like I'm waiting for it to sneak up on me and hit me hard.