Notices

I need support now more than ever

Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hopeful

I need support now more than ever

I wanted to let someone on here know what has been happening with me......saturday night there was a fire in the building I live in. The apartment that is directly in front of me caught fire and was totally gutted...my apartment sustained severe smoke damage and is unlivable at this time so I am staying at my sisters. I lost everything. Today I will be going to the red cross for help with food and clothing. Everyone in the building got out ok and thats the most important thing because stuff can be replaced. I need this site more than ever now and the support of everyone here but I am unable to get into chat. Anyway I just wanted to let someone know whats going on...please say a prayer I sure could use one right now....Sue
Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry to hear that *hug

It's great to hear that everyone got out okay, and that you have a place to stay for now. I'll be thinking of you today.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are Ok Sue.
It is just stuff.
I had a private fire drill in NYC in my mind once.
I took my wallet, my passport and a rosary that I have had for years.
Funny. That is all I figured I really, really, really needed.

I also had to do a big purge when moving.
I shipped all my stuff at considerable cost and six weeks of living with just the bare essentials left me feeling real stupid for spending all that money!

You will be ok.
You and your sister can have some quality time to catch up that wouldn't have happened otherwise.
Are you sober at the moment?
Hugs
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thoughts and prayers to you <3 Keep your chin up and find thing that make you smile. It's very difficult I know, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Be a survivor, not a victim. Sending you big hugs girl x
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hopeful

Thank you and you are absolutely right Holly my sister and I will have lots of quality time together which was long over due, And yes, I am still clean......I have no desire to use right now...I am too scared to go back to where I was.....so many bad things have happened in my life in such a short period of time and I HAVE to change things now.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sue, i am very sorry to hear this. I'm so glad you are ok. Thinking of you.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What an awful thing! I hope life returns to some sort of normaility without too much delay!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hopeful

Thank you for all the kind words...thing's just have to get better soon, I mean how much can continue to go wrong in ones life in such a short period of time...I will remain hopeful...thanks for your support
Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sus I'm so sorry that happened. Hope you are doing okay and glad everyone made it out. Stay strong and we are all here for you!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a terrible thing to happen to you - you poor thing!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please stay strong and remember things are just things!!! Keep us posted how you are . xxx
Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Sorry to hear about your problem suscl61.

I went through a similar problem a couple of years ago.

All your stuff may not be lost. It took a couple of months but the resposible party had to pay for everything to be picked up and all traces of smoke removed - Clothes, appliances, everything. Also had to replace carpet and paint.

The insurance deals with companies that professionally remove all traces of smoke damage. They will also pay the cost to your sister, and some extra to you for the inconvenience of relocating while the repairs are made.

Not trying to minimize the situation, just mentioning that this, along with your sobriety, may be another blessing.

Hoping the best for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you had to go thru that but glad everyone got out safely.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hugs, prayers for you and your neighbors.

I know people say it's JUST STUFF...but having lost most of my stuff...well yeah, but not all "stuff" is equal. I did lose nearly all my possessions, and while it was a relief to be rid of some of them, starting over and having to acquire the stuff you need to live isn't easy. At least for me there was a real grief process that would sneak up and get me when I was shopping thrift stores yet again, for pans to cook with.

I think it's perfectly normal to be entirely grateful to have gotten out safe, and still be sorry for the losses.

Hopefully a good deal of it will be salvageable. And it's true, we learn what we were just lugging around with us through habit, and what things we truly want to share our space with.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hugs and prayers.

Thank God nobody was hurt or killed.
Hang in there and know we are all pulling for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you are going through this - definitely hugs and prayers for you. You are strong and you can make it through this!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow! Sounds scary! I'm glad no one was hurt. I'm sorry to hear you lost your stuff but at least you're safe.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hopeful

Thank you all for your love and support......yes, I am hoping that some things will be salvagable because it will be way too much to replace it. Dishes and things like that I can wash...furniture and bedding I'm not so sure about. And Threshold you are so right about lugging around a lot of stuff because I did that so to me some of the stuff really isnt a loss because I needed to get rid of it anyway. It is going to take a long time to replace everything and get back what I need but I will remain strong and with the help of family and friends I will get through this. Thanks again for all your support being here helps me stay strong...One day at a time
Old 10-14-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

sending lots of hugs and love your way
Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Sue! Stay strong!!! All my best, FS
Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suscl61 View Post
I wanted to let someone on here know what has been happening with me......saturday night there was a fire in the building I live in. The apartment that is directly in front of me caught fire and was totally gutted...my apartment sustained severe smoke damage and is unlivable at this time so I am staying at my sisters. I lost everything. Today I will be going to the red cross for help with food and clothing. Everyone in the building got out ok and thats the most important thing because stuff can be replaced. I need this site more than ever now and the support of everyone here but I am unable to get into chat. Anyway I just wanted to let someone know whats going on...please say a prayer I sure could use one right now....Sue
I am so sorry for this catastrophy!! You probably had many things that are irreplaceable. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you will find peace and a suitable living space soon. All the best to you, and, glad that everyone is safe.