Notices

Kombucha??

Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I drank kombucha regularly leading up to getting sober. I have since had it on one occasion and I can say that in no way did it lead to any triggers.

While trying to get sober last year, I started drinking non-alcoholic beer. This on the other hand was a major trigger.

Although kombucha is fermented tea and may contain trace amounts of alcohol (I'm talking extremely small amounts. Less than non-alcoholic beer), I don't lump it in with non-alcoholic beer, virgin drinks, etc. as it s not an alcohol supplement.

Kombucha has great health benefits. There are thousands of reputable sources stating so. The Mayo Clinic states otherwise, but that's another discussion.

I say that if you've had it (trigger free) then great! Enjoy.

DNVR
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So happy I stumbled upon this site while googling whether Kombucha is an acceptable drink for alcoholics. I have been clean and sober since 07/23/07, with no real cravings to drink. I finally gave up smoking cigarettes in August. I feel my true drug of choice is food, and I have been struggling with it in one form or another for as long as I can remember.
I am celebrating New Year's Eve with a new friend who is aware that I am an alcoholic and addict. He eats only organic, locally grown foods, and ferments his own foods. He mentioned bringing Kombucha, and I was willing to try it. Now, after researching, and reading posts, I will not. Coffee will be fine for me.
I am sure I will enjoy reading posts, and will find this helpful, as I no longer attend meetings. I need to get my eating habits in line with my other healthy choices I make each day. Happy and Sober 2014...one day at a time.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

For me so much has to do with the knowledge of whether something has alcohol or not. I am not triggered by cookies that use vanilla extract (30% alcohol) or wine in a soup. I find these the proverbial gray areas and if the alcohol is cooked through then I will consume - personal choice.

I am finding I am a core addict - everything I do has this obsessive mindset (OCD). When I give up one addiction (alcohol and drugs) I find new ones tend to present in my life (sex and food). I really hope I get my spiritual transformation through my steps as I seem to be replacing one vice with another and another and another.

Congrats on the 6 1/2 yrs
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Babz

Sounds like a good choice to me

D
Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post

Additionally, the human body produces ethanol as a byproduct of normal digestion. In some very rare cases, the human body produces so much ethanol that a person becomes drunk.
Lucky I did not know that when I was active. I would have turned myself in a walking keg of beer. LOL!!