Notices

No Motivation

Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks WantToDoThis. You have just reminded me of yet another issue I need to look at as Winter hurtles on in. The westcoast of Canada, where I live, sounds much like Luxembourg. I have struggled with SAD also. I have looked into those SAD lights but have yet to buy one. I think this will be the year. Geez...all this consciousness and self care is bloody exhausting hey
Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nuudawn - I am currently taking Effexor (150mg) which I believe works on dopamine? I know it sounds bizzarre but sometimes I feel as though I can drink more while taking them. . . . which is just of course, an illusion!! I have been on Citalopram, but found that this really did nothing for me. The Effexor of course works better when I do not drink, but of late, all I want to do is veg in front of the tv or sleep! (besides binge drink!) I found your post really insightful and definitely something I can relate to!

@Wanttodothis. . . you are totally right!! The dreary weather is coming in and I suppose to a certain extent I can attribute this to low mood and an inclination to hibernate!! Do you know Luxembourg at all? Of course where I come from, all weather is "pub weather!"
Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am Scottish. . . says it all really! Bad weather and alcohol go hand and hand!!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susan80 View Post
I am Scottish. . . says it all really! Bad weather and alcohol go hand and hand!!
Alcohol and anything goes hand in hand when your addictions in charge lol

Corn flakes - I'll have a vodka an OJ please lol

I sneezed - ill need to drink to sleep I've got the cold lol pay attention to the ridiculous excuses we give ourself. It's crazy.

I went to the shops and got soaked in the rain - ill need to drink because my day was so crap

I went and decorated my living room - I need to get drunk so I can 'enjoy' sitting in it WHAAAAATTT Lol really
Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susan80 View Post
Nuudawn - I am currently taking Effexor (150mg) which I believe works on dopamine? I know it sounds bizzarre but sometimes I feel as though I can drink more while taking them. . . . which is just of course, an illusion!! I have been on Citalopram, but found that this really did nothing for me. The Effexor of course works better when I do not drink, but of late, all I want to do is veg in front of the tv or sleep! (besides binge drink!) I found your post really insightful and definitely something I can relate to!

@Wanttodothis. . . you are totally right!! The dreary weather is coming in and I suppose to a certain extent I can attribute this to low mood and an inclination to hibernate!! Do you know Luxembourg at all? Of course where I come from, all weather is "pub weather!"
Nope...Effexor is in the serotonin family. You might want to talk to doc of Buproprion (wellbutrin) which is an anti depressant that is a mild dopamine reuptake inhibitor rather than an SSRI.

It's something I'm really finding puzzling in my research. Serotonin and Dopamine deficiencies are two different things and both can cause problems and depression but I know, at least with the doc's I've seen,I have only ever been prescribed SSRI's after a few routine questions. I have never had a blood test or anything to discover what neurotransmitter function is deficient or dysfunctional (which are available), it seems like serotonin deficiency is ALWAYS assumed the culprit. I don't get it. Brain chemistry is huge part of our problems, yet I haven't ever been asked an discerning questions that would pinpoint a dopamine problem over serotonin (e.g. I have never really had insomnia or sleep problems which is red flag for serotonin issue).
Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Funnily enough, I have always been prescribed drugs in relation to serotonin. . . No questions asked! I will make an appointment and discuss this with my doctor. I really feel that the effexor does nothing. Thanks for your post.