Notices

Day 1 started today, it is finally time

Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Day 1 started today, it is finally time

My name is Bryan and I am an addict. I am 28 years old and am on Day 1 today. I was living a lie for so long, convincing myself that I didn't have a problem because I only binged every few weeks and could keep it together during that time. I have myself convinced that spending $600 every third weekend on booze and drugs is different from doing it every day. Are there people who binged like this? I was told, with the help of a counselor, that this is almost a more difficult addiction to break, as you have more excuses and denial. I would love to hear from some people ( or just some links to threads) about people who sobered up in their late 20's. How you dealt with friends and family and especially what are some of the things that you did to occupy your time.
I as going through the things that I did with my time recently and realized that most of it revolved around drinking and drugs. Someone asked me what I am going to do with my time now that I am sober and I didn't have an answer. My life was working, going home and drinking, recovering then doing it all again. It gives the illusion that I am in control and getting the most out of life when really I haven't done any living at all. I am constantly making excuses for why I am not a more successful person, why I'm not where I want to be. I have a million excuses, but the most obvious one was staring me right in face for years. I am an addict and I will not lead a normal productive life unless I face this fact and start to work on it. I am excited to be here and read to all of your stories. You inspire me, and give me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bryan - it's a brilliant site
Old 10-08-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Bryan,
different strokes for different cultures. Where are you? US? UK? Oz? Elsewhere?

Me I just loved to get out for a drive since I could not be busted for DUI and was free to go anywhere anytime. However that was only for a drive as any destination after 9 pm is usually about drinking or drugging. I don't know why that surprised me.

Off the top of my head you could play your instrument or learn to play one, I did guitar. Sprecken? Habla? Par?
Volunteer at a hospital or animal shelter for a few evenings a week.
Or a human one.
Change your shift to evening shift for work and relaxing in the mornings and by day.
Go to AA meetings evenings.
C'mon, you can brainstorm a few hundred that would suit you to a t!

Congrats on your decision!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Bryan
It's tough to think of things to do cos we haven't had to for so long - I remember even daytime TV looked ok when I was drinking....

here's a list to start you off with some ideas...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D

D
Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Bryan,

Early in sobriety, my focus was on getting sober and staying sober. I attended AA meetings read and posted on SR. I was very worried about relapse early in sobriety and read as much as I could to prevent that happening.

Two and a half years sober, I have no cravings but I still maintain my sobriety.

I have probably done more in these few sober years than in the past when I was drinking. I have more energy to focus. I can still go through slumps but I know how to get out of them now.
Alcohol just kept me down.

All the best
Caihong
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a great place for support. Read and post all you like. Come here if you feel tempted.

I'm glad you joined the family.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise and reading. Hiking. Sleep. Sounds not so exciting but turning inward and bit and challenging myself physically have been so wonderful.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All the very best to you Bryan! Lot's of support on offer here, so stay close!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bryan! My situation is very similar, I'm 29 and free time was my worst enemy. I felt guilty for taking time for myself - but through therapy I discovered how wonderful having that free time to discover myself can be.

I would read, exercise and plan for events that I knew I would actually remember. SR is a great forum, keep posting. I'm glad you're here!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bryan654 View Post
You inspire me, and give me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Wonderful! May you find your inner peace!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No half measures

AA meetings saved my life in the beginning. I had to do something that got me out of my head. I would go half an hour early and stay half an hour late. I went to a meeting every day and did not drink in between meetings. It was amazing but the simple plan worked. I now have over thousand 24 hours
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Bryan! Was there a time you weren't drinking? What did you do then? I have a busy schedule with kids, but was always rushing to get home and open that bottle of wine. Now I read a lot more, jog and have gotten back into Scuba Diving and bike riding. You can do a lot with the money you will be saving. Start trying new things. Best of luck and keep posting!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Bryan,
How are you doing today?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am doing good. Thanks for all of the responses. I was sitting in my apartment last night while my roommate and one of his old friends had beers. They offered me one and I said no while reading your responses on my laptop. It was actually a fun evening and I didnt feel like drinking at all. I went to bed early and had restless sleep. In the past when I have tried to be sober my sleep has really been affected, which sounds like the norm. I am prepared for that this time though and am less anxious about it.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great Bryan!
So glad to hear you are still hanging in there. Keep reading, keep posting. It not only can be done and over, but it can be done and over with others both local and here. Start another thread here tomorrow when you have three days clean and sober!
Hang tough kiddo!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hopeful

Welcome Bryan and keep going things do get better. I am on day 17 and pushing through everyday. I am new here just joining here today....I have met some very nice people here...keep coming back here this will help you...remember we are all in this together.....Good luck and hang in there