Notices

1st meeting, 2nd meeting

Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st meeting, 2nd meeting

I just sit there and listen. When the alcoholic "roll call" happens, I confess to being an alcoholic, a newcomer, but that's it. In my view, I am not going to say much they haven't already heard. So, I listen. I am a people-watcher by nature, so I think I like meetings so far. Some of the folks are rather LONG-winded, some very funny, some rather vulgar and A-holish, but, I guess it takes all kinds. No sponsor yet. I figure we will find each other.

So, that is my 4-day report.

Michael
Old 10-07-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

There are all kinds of different people in AA. Don't make the mistake, as some have, of equating the people with AA. The people are the people and the program is something other.

Your observational skills should serve you well. All the best to you.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Stick with the winners and you can't go wrong. Theres all types of people in AA.
Just wanted you to know your post made my morning.

When I went to AA, I don't think I ever said a word. Just listening helped.
Don't worry about what you say being heard before. Say it for you. Get something off your chest, reply to someone you relate to, or just listen. It's all good.

Best to you.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think being quiet at the meetings is quite natural. I said nothing for the first month or so. And eventually I got to the point where I needed them to hear what I had to say, because I was able to obtain some great feedback that would help my situation, but certainly not until I was ready. Just walking through those AA doors is a big step on its own. Congratulations! You will know when the time is right for you to speak.