Notices

New to this group

Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation New to this group

Hi there. I have basically just joined this group after a few months of realisation that I have a massive issue with alcohol, particularly wine. To cut a long story short, the night before last I basically waited while my husband was out and started drinking wine from a half pint glass, trying to drink as much as I could in the 2 hours I knew he would be out. Recipie for disaster indeed. Needless to say he came back to be in an intoxicated state with a couple of wine bottles around me covered in vomit. Attractive. Needless to say I also had to call in sick from work the next day. This is not the first time by a long shot. I know I will lose my relationship if I do not take some drastic action and I am fed up of drinking alone and being unproductive and generally crap! I feel like an awful person.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Ruthie
I know you'll find support here

do you have any ideas on how to stay stopped?

D
Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I know is that I just feel so guilty about my behaviour and do not want to feel so awful anymore.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Lots of support here.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's good to remember we are not our addiction, Ruthie.
Whatever we've done, we're not bad people, just in the grip of something bad.

we can turn things around and start being the people we really are again

D
Old 10-02-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ruthiecrawford View Post
I feel like an awful person.
Welcome Ruthie, Glad you found us!

Please know, the disease from which you suffer is awful. Not you!

Stay strong and stay close!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Ruthie, you are not awful. It is the addiction that makes us behave in an awful manner.There is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ruthie... you are poorly, not awful, and you can get better *hugs* xx
Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by ruthiecrawford View Post
Hi there. I have basically just joined this group after a few months of realisation that I have a massive issue with alcohol, particularly wine. To cut a long story short, the night before last I basically waited while my husband was out and started drinking wine from a half pint glass, trying to drink as much as I could in the 2 hours I knew he would be out. Recipie for disaster indeed. Needless to say he came back to be in an intoxicated state with a couple of wine bottles around me covered in vomit. Attractive. Needless to say I also had to call in sick from work the next day. This is not the first time by a long shot. I know I will lose my relationship if I do not take some drastic action and I am fed up of drinking alone and being unproductive and generally crap! I feel like an awful person.
Hi, I am 38 days today! I too. Loved my fish bowl wine glasses! It has not been easy, but I have taken each day at a time.....I loved to start happy hour at 4 and drink non stop till 6,muster up something for dinner and fall asleep....what a difference in just 38 days...I can knit a straight row at 9pm!! Be strong ,pray and follow your heart...Oceanlady
Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep posting and reading this forum and I hope this gives you the motivation to find better things in life then the bottom of an empty wine glass because I believe there are. Best of luck and don't give up. Give sobriety a chance.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome, Ruthie! I can relate to just being fed up of drinking alone and being unproductive. That's exactly how I felt when I quit this last time round, nearly 3 months ago. You're not crap. Our addictions are an illness, they are not us and they do not have to define us. I'm now nearly three months sober and feel so much better within myself and about myself. And I'm so much more productive. This is what I want for you too. Read around the forums and you'll find out about the different ways in which people here got sober and stay sober.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Welcome, Ruthie! I can relate to just being fed up of drinking alone and being unproductive. That's exactly how I felt when I quit this last time round, nearly 3 months ago. You're not crap. Our addictions are an illness, they are not us and they do not have to define us. I'm now nearly three months sober and feel so much better within myself and about myself. And I'm so much more productive. This is what I want for you too. Read around the forums and you'll find out about the different ways in which people here got sober and stay sober.
Thankyou so much for all of your motivating replies, it is good to know I am not the only one! Will read around the forums and do my best!!! Thankyou all so much!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Lots of support here. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well day 3 now, I am drinking so much coffee it is untrue, think the weekend will be the biggest test! Not looking forward to Friday night.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Ruthie,I also drank wine every night at home and felt physically and mentally unwell most of the time as a result. I'm now nearly 10 months sober and feel better than I ever have done.

Friday night get yourself some treats, icecream, chocolate,a good Dvd,something nice to drink non alco of course,bubble bath,good book and stay glued to SR
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Well done on day 3 Ruthie. I find planning my weekend in advance helps. We have a weekend thread on here every weekend where we all support one another through it. It's posted on Fridays. Just post on it to join. Everyone would be delighted to see you.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Ruthie There's a special 'weekend thread' that appears every Friday - how about joining that and we can all help each other
Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

make sure you stock up of some great food, lots of AF drinks, and get on here over the wkend, break the psychological link you make with fri & drinking, you can do it!! x
Old 10-03-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

ruthie, welcome to SR!

Can you make a plan to do something on Fridays that takes you out of the house? I told my husband that I needed a plan so that we're not sitting at home.

Starting with the first Friday that I was sober we planned ahead and went to the movies every week. I've seen more movies in the past 4 months than I have in the 10 years prior to that! When you get home log into SR and post and read for a while.

The key is to keep your brain busy and not idle.

You can do this!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

How's your morning been, Ruthie?