Notices

New to this group

Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi, Ruthie and welcome. I am a wine drinker, too, who has embarrassed myself and my husband way too many times to count. This will be my first sober weekend, hopefully, too, so we can do this!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey hun, cleaned the whole house top to bottom, ate a huge pizza to make myself feel so sick i cannot consume liquid in any form, at this rate I will be bariatric by the end of the week!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

well done ruthie from another wine drinker . I bought my wine in 3 litre boxes easier to hide than bottles and no one knows how much ive drunk except of course I am leg less
Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Hi, Ruthie and welcome. I am a wine drinker, too, who has embarrassed myself and my husband way too many times to count. This will be my first sober weekend, hopefully, too, so we can do this!!!
Good luck Lucy! I am at 40 days and know just how you feel! Glad you mentioned embarrassing yourself...gave me another reason to be grateful for stopping drinking wine....stay strong, oceanlady
Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Double Dragon!

Hope your night went OK!!! I managed it Friday night! Still not convinced that a sober life will be an interesting one but await being convinced! Just cannot imagine fun without being legless!

Nice to wake up to know I have not said/done anything hideous though!

The one annoying thing though is I have not told husband about trying to quit, have just done it and he appears to not even have noticed I have gone 5 days!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ruthiecrawford View Post
Still not convinced that a sober life will be an interesting one but await being convinced! Just cannot imagine fun without being legless!
That comment is all beast talking,trying to convince you that drinking is great.

When I look back at what I thought was fun it was really just mind numbing nonsense. Drinking myself into a state of blackout was fun? Saying anddoing stupid things and waking up feeling shame and regret fun?

I had no idea how to enjoy myself sober and also thought I couldn't. Now I cringe to think back to what I was like. I had no quality of life. I spent every night drinking wine,numbing my thoughts and feelings. trust me,that it not fun in any way shape or form.

Now I do things that are really fun. Each day has new possibilities, not trapped in the narrow,insular prison of waiting and clock watching for wine o'clock.

Trust me, you will find new,enjoyable things to do in time.It does happen.

Good on you staying sober last night.Happy Sober Saturday

Don't be annoyed at your husband. normal drinkers don't 'get' it. Also, please don't use it to believe you're not that bad/don't have a problem . If you think you have a problem,that's all that matters
Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

ReadyAtLast has it so right! While you're drinking it feels great, but look at the 'opportunity costs' of alcohol. You're destroying your health, ruining your relationships, spending a fortune and wasting all that time. Tell me, what could you accomplish if you could add eight hours of productive time to your day? Stop drinking and you will find out! Think of all the things you want to do 'some day' when you 'have time.' Well, there's only so much time and you're wasting half of your waking hours being drunk.

I was also primarily into wine, although if I needed to I would drink craft beer or good liquor. Even though I drank three bottles a night I generally bought good wine. But I did buy a lot of the higher end box wine, too. I'd pile 'em up until it bothered me so much that I'd break them all down at once. Often I'd be cutting down boxes for twenty minutes! It wasn't unusual for me to have fifteen or twenty boxes stacked in the corner, along with a bunch of empty bottles.

Booze is so easy that it makes us lazy. It's a medication and a pasttime, and it provides self contained entertainment. But it prevents us from really developing ourselves as people. Who are you really when you're sober? And not just watching the clock waiting til you can drink again.

You can kick this, Ruthie! SR can be a big help.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Double Dragon!

Hope your night went OK!!! I managed it Friday night! Still not convinced that a sober life will be an interesting one but await being convinced! Just cannot imagine fun without being legless!

Nice to wake up to know I have not said/done anything hideous though!

The one annoying thing though is I have not told husband about trying to quit, have just done it and he appears to not even have noticed I have gone 5 days!!!
Ruthie, I am 41 days today! My days are great, but I still get very nervous at my old drinking time of 4pm...last eve I made a batch of cookies and ate about 10! Still have lost 8 lbs , I too did not tell my husband for a week,finally he asked where my wine was...I don't think he thought I could do I!but I AM!
At 4pm I fix cranberry jc with lime in a very tall drinking glass! I can drink it as fast as I want and have a couple more...Not wine but it an't bad! After dinner I am so happy with my self!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi, Ruthie! I made it too. That was my first sober Friday night in over nine years. And this is the most energy and peace I have felt on a Saturday morning in over nine years! Loving it!!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey hey, saturday now!!! Actually watched 'come dine with me' without a cheeky vino. Am starting to feel a bit tetchy! Just trying to think of the worse ever acidic, heartburn, cheap wine to put myself off!!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey hey, saturday now!!! Actually watched 'come dine with me' without a cheeky vino. Am starting to feel a bit tetchy! Just trying to think of the worse ever acidic, heartburn, cheap wine to put myself off!!
Keep up the good work! I went out for dinner, hubby drank wine,and I did fine with Pepsi...quite pleased . For some reason I have found eating out harder than eating at home...it's just not worth having one glass and having to start all over again. Hang in there...