Notices

I. Need. Help. From someone I can relate too

Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I. Need. Help. From someone I can relate too

I would like to discuss similar situations with someone who knows where I stand/ am coming from. I know I'm not alone by any means but feel that no one can legitimately relate first hand. Or at least personally. I would appreciate anyone, thank you.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

We're all ears!

I was a drunken pothead until last November. With the help of SR, AA and NA my wife and I are now sober.

There are other ways to go, but this forum is the place to learn about the other ways.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unfortunately,

I would love to take the opportunity to discuss my issues considering your generosity to listen. However I have work from six am to six pm for the next 6 days and am already pretty tired from my selfishness. However I would love to get back with you and any information on how to recover would be extremely appreciated. I've become so "good" at drinking most people cant even tell I have been. Unless extremely smashed.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a bit confused here Unhappy. Didn't you just come on SR asking for help (my words)? Then you state can't get back to them for 6 days due to work? Yes, I am confused. ?? Bobbi
Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BarbieKen View Post

Then you state can't get back to them for 6 days due to work? Yes, I am confused. ?? Bobbi
back when I was drinking heavy
my wife signed us up for counseling
I had about 6 days before ground zero
didn't make it
while still in a drunk got arrested
and ended up in jail before the counseling session

MB
Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR UnhappyD. There are many folks here struggling and succeeding in their desire to leave varying degrees of hell. This place is open 24/7 therefore hopefully you can get to the computer when you are not working. There is a ton of support and wisdom and friendship here. Perhaps you can let us know where you are in fact coming from and see what resonates.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! As has been pointed out, we're 24/7, 365. Stop in when you're ready to talk. We've been there and walked in your shoes. We want to help.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know if this helps, but alcohol is just a drug among others. This same is often true for all drugs: the more you use it, the less it works for you, and the worse the withdrawals become (hangover etc.). There is tolerance that develops for any drug. This is why I've thought something as very redundant and that is to keep seeking for some drunken state that the alcohol no longer even gives... or stops giving.

That's why drugs are so unfair. They offer no permanent solution, other than at some times permanent damage and addiction.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey Unhappy drunk! Welcome to SR and welcome to recovery.

Alcohol was the biggest problem in my life. When I quit drinking though, I thought I had a dozen other problems far more serious. Alcohol ended up low on the list of serious issues. Once I got sober, I realized alcohol had been #1 because all the other problems disappeared on their own or became manageable by a sober mind.

You have taken two big steps in the right direction: admitted your problem and asked for help. You are already on the road to recovery if you keep taking more steps. You can share anything here - you are anonymous and we won't judge you, we are alcoholics too. We don't shoot our wounded.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. Jump on in whenever you have the time!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Unhappydrunk, lots of support here and people who will try to help.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Unhappydrunk

whenever you have the time and you want to talk, there'll be people here.

Welcome

D
Old 09-29-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Work hard, Play hard. That was my motto.

I finally had the inner knowledge (and lots of pain) where I realized I had to stop and stay stopped. Due to my circumstances at the time, I had little choice. I was not working at this time most likely due to my drinking, so I had time on my hands. Not a good thing for an alcoholic to have.

I was a fear-filled person. I was uncomfortable in my own skin, I had irrational fears, I was not okay being me. People scared me. I had social phobias, I had a negative attitude towards life. Drinking and smoking weed took me to a really dark place.

Somehow, I didn't drink one day. And the next, then the next. On the 5th day I went to an AA meeting. I made it to 3 meetings a day by walking back and forth from home to the meeting place, a church that held several meetings a day.

I made it to the 12th day and I was hurting very badly. I wanted to drink. I wanted not to feel anymore (like when I was drinking).

At a noon meeting, I heard a woman share her story and instead of running out of the place, I talked with her.

We talked and I found she had 15 years of continuous sobriety and who said she would help me feel some relief through "triage" of working through those 12 steps.

On days 14 and 15 of my "sobriety," we got together. I had a decision to make: Die an alcoholic death or try a spiritual way of life. That was a hard decision to make, but thankfully I took her offer and we worked quickly through those 12 steps. I was as thorough as I could be (What's bothering you today? - 4th step stuff) and as fearless as I could be (moving back to step 3 -I made a decision and I was cared for by some power greater than me).

On day 16, I felt a little different. Slowly, over time, I healed. I am not the fear-filled person I was. Today, I am comfortable in my own skin, I have no irrational fears, I am okay being me and I now love talking with others in person.

My story includes AA and Sober Recovery (SR).

Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, Life Ring, SOS, Women for Sobriety also can help a person stay stopped.

Whatever you do, do well. Drinking nightly is not how I want to be. I have much more time and energy on my hands and I accomplish much more than sitting on a couch drinking until I pass out (fall asleep).

Please see a doctor for a proper detoxing as stopping abruptly can be lethal (it shocks the body and brain).

You can stay stopped, too! I wish you well.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There is so much wonderful advice and knowledge out there! I appreciate everything you've all had to say. I really like hearing about all of your situations and how you eventually came to quit. It can possibly give me some idea as how I can.