Notices

I am sorry if this is redundent

Old 09-28-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am sorry if this is redundent

I am not sober yet and I don't know where to post. I quit for a few days every month or so, but drink heavy most of the time. The only reasons I have to quit are money, and health. I have not had any health issues yet. I have drank for years. But when my wife divorced me in 2009, I started drinking very heavy. I am worried about my drinking, but can't seem to find a good reason to stop now. I actually wish I had a good reason, like my liver failing, or other health reasons, but I don't. Money may be the best reason for me at this point. I am not poor, but I spend a lot of money of liquor. Anyone else like this?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted.

I think it might be a good idea to talk to your dr about your drinking and your intention to stop. He could let you know if there were any health issues and if it was safe for you to stop.

I hope that you can find a reason to want to stop. You deserve the best life possible.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Redundant yet always unique for each person is the name of the game here.

I think that if you have been drinking that heavily since 2009 you may be ignoring a number of good reasons to quit other than what you have mentioned. Not to toot my own horn, but others liked this list I made at 14 days sober after a 1 year relapse, so I will send you to it...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4172880
Old 09-28-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi coffeeboy
You're welcome here - where else to go to ask questions like these?

The key word is yet I think...no health problems yet...no catastrophes yet...

Alcoholism is progressive and the more years we drink the more inescapable it is that we're gonna have to pay the piper.

I'm not sure any of that will convince you - it didn't convince me...maybe this will.

This is you - from 2008...5 and a half years ago:

Originally Posted by coffeeboy
I have been experiencing severe financial problems for about two years now. I have always been a drinker, but never ever considered it a problem. But for the last year, I have really increased the amount I drink. I can get up and work all day just fine, but once I am home, I will have several drinks until I just go to bed. I went on depression meds about 2 years ago, when this all started, but that is not enough. I definately hide how much I drink from my family. I will drink a few beers every night, and go to a back room to get a couple shots of whiskey several times also. I am pretty sure I can just quit anytime, but it is the only way to escape the worries and I don't want to stop. I am going through about on fith of whiskey and about 6-9 beers every 3 days. How do you know when you are drinking too much? How much is too much?
thats a long time to be dealing with this stuff.

I think you might have lost more through your drinking than you're admitting to yourself too?

D
Old 09-28-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"Yet" is definitely the key word here. The bad things that haven't happened may happen down the road, maybe tomorrow, you never know. One big reason I'm glad I'm sober is that I don't have to worry about causing an accident or getting cited for DUI.

If you continue to drink like that, it's inevitable something bad will happen. Why let it?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! you are really good!

I don't even remember that post! I definitely need to stop the craziness. I seem not to want too at this time. How can I get to the stage of "I really want to". I have lost my wife. My adult son's put up with me. I just don't know what to do. Thanks for your pointing out my past post, that was really good for me to read!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeeboy View Post
I don't even remember that post! I definitely need to stop the craziness. I seem not to want too at this time. How can I get to the stage of "I really want to". I have lost my wife. My adult son's put up with me. I just don't know what to do. Thanks for your pointing out my past post, that was really good for me to read!
Welcome Coffeeboy. To help you "really want to" uou could make a list of all the major problems you've experienced over the last five years: physical, financial, relationships etc. Then next to each entry, note if alcohol or any other substance was involved.

All my major problems over the last 5 years have been caused in part or in whole by my drinking.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know how to make anyone else 'really want to quit'....but I reckon there's a part of you that wants to coffeeboy, or you wouldn't be here.

Posting here regularly certainly helped me - you'll find a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Coffeeboy, I didn't really want to quit, either. If I could've drunk maybe 3 drinks a night, a little more on weekends, I'd probably have kept on drinking (not that that amount would've been healthy anyway, and I no longer wish to drink at all). But I had to drink way more than that to keep withdrawal at bay and to feel normal or to get a buzz. I didn't like myself or how I was drinking, in fact I was severely depressed and beyond miserable, but I still didn't really want to quit. I was scared.

What finally drove me to stop was the horrible depression and severe anxiety I was experiencing because of my drinking. Plus fear for my health in general and the fact that I was on the edge of losing everything in my life.

Now tht I'm sober, I wish I had quit years ago. Why did I let it get so bad? Why did I deny my problem for so long?

It sounds like you have many reasons to quit. If you wait for even more reasons, it may be too late. And the very best reason to quit is that sobriety is awesome!

"sobriety delivers everything alcohol promises.". So true.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Coffee boy, glad you found the site again. I think the fact you came back is a sign that you want to stop. No one wants the life of an alcoholic, whether they admit it to themselves or not.

I lost a very important relationship around the same time as you due to my drinking. Now, at the time I made up some stories that sounded legitimate, and thought I coped quite well with the loss and it was for the best.

It's only now, completely sober, that I have cried my guts out and realised the enormity of what I lost and what I put others through. That amongst many other things. I have a great career now (by the grace of God, I don't know how), but I've wondered if I even would be doing what I'm doing if I wasn't drinking those past years away.

I hope you see a way to chose sobriety and see your life return to full colour.

Stick around, read others posts....we are all fighting for a better life!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Coffeeboy, I'm so happy you came back to talk it over & give this another shot. You haven't given up, and that's something to be proud of. You want a better life and you can have it. Please stay with us and keep posting. We care.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

How much more are you willing to lose due to your drinking? You didn't mention all the time wasted and time lost in your life that you can never get back. How much more time are you willing to sacrifice in order to continue drinking?

Heh...No one here can say or do anything to get you to stop drinking unless you're ready to stop. For you, right now, it's all about what kind of life you imagine for yourself while you continue to minimize your losses and tempt fate.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't want to quit really. but I did want to stop feeling sick,tired,ill, headachey, bloated, angry, nervous,depressed, fearful,anxious, scared, shameful all the time. I knew that quitting drinking was the only way tostop those feelings.

I've been sober nearly 10 months now and it's one of the best things I ever did.There are truly NO negatives from stopping drinking. everything is better. Life is worth living.