Notices

First weekend and missing everything fun

Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Looking back I never really had "fun" when I was drinking. Nothing fun about not remembering what I did, throwing up the next day, the shakes, wondering where my next drink was coming from etc, etc. I programmed myself to think it was fun and relaxing.

Give yourself some time. This is something new and change doesn't happen overnight.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
RLH

Thanks Working. Yes, the weekend was definitely the hardest part so far. It seems like between football parties and Oktoberfests, I'm better off shutting off my phone and staying bed on Saturdays. Still, I'm feeling strong now and how to build up some good momentum to push me through this next weekend.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It sounds like a lot of your friends are heavy drinkers too. That's tough, bc you feel like you're missing out and they expect you to be there. But ask yourself, how many Oktoberfests, sports parties, St Patricks Day bar crawls, etc (whatever) have you been to? It sounds like you realize it's time to put all that behind you. And like others said, after a while you'll be able to go to some of these things and not drink. Try to remember the reasons you realized you need to quit.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well..you're in luck cus this past weekend was neither the last football game or ...weekend on earth. In early sobriety it's often easiest to avoid temptations and triggers so we often spend a great deal of time chilling with ourselves. Not a bad thing really cuz we are often not that well acquainted. Hmmm...what do I like to do? What are my interests anyway? What do all those gazillions of folks who do not rely on alcohol as a hobby and necessity for every social function (and maybe laundry : ) do?

In the grand scheme of things, taking a break from the drinking circus is good anyway you look at it. Although it is difficult to see...you made a decision to do something healthy and lifegiving for yourself and that takes well...effort and delay of instant gratification remedies. If giving up alcohol was easy and comfortable...well, we all wouldn't be here.

I am at the point in my sobriety that I do not have to say no to social functions...unless I simply don't want to go. I often don't want to go if the event is alcohol centered and everybody will be drunk and difficult to relate to or have a conversation with.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am just starting the journey, so I am still in need of help, but I made my mind up that I want to be sober. I had my first test went to a music festival which was amazing. I was sober the whole night enjoyed it with my wife except for how cold it got at night. Just had a cola and had the same fun with my friends even though they got drunk. Just a start but I am enjoying things just fine without a drink. Hope you find out how amazing it is to be clear