Notices

Friday Night Candlelight AA Meeting tonight

Old 09-27-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday Night Candlelight AA Meeting tonight

I think I found my home group and maybe even a sponsor tonight. I have been to a lot of meetings, but this group was different and I have to try a different solution. I have kinda avoided AA meetings and definitely the Twelve Steps for quite some time now, but what I have been doing hasn't been working. I have seven months of sobriety but I don't think I have had one day of happiness. I want to find the old me or at the very least a better version of the person I have become. My daughters deserve to have their Mom back and I have finally decided that I do deserve to be happy again (which has been the hardest part, for the longest time I thought I didn't deserve to even be here anymore). I am crossing my fingers that this will be my salvation and I am going to put my whole heart into it. WISH ME LUCK!!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Charliee, that's great news! I am very happy for you, I wish you only the best for your sobriety and happiness !!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm loving the candlelight thing Really happy for you x
Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good deal. I am always telling newcomers to try several meetings as each one is different and has it's own "personality". Please tell us how this meeting seemed more positive to you while previous meetings didn't.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know if it's the Friday night thing, the candle light or what? But this group was more genuine, more open and more positive than the meetings I tried during the day. The group was probably a little younger than me, but they laughed more, gave good advice told of some real hardships, how they were taking positive steps to change their lives, but mainly that everything that they were going through or had gone through all happened for a reason and keeping your eyes open to seeing it was the hardest part. They laughed more and they were all very close to each other. It also had a very good male-female ratio.

Last edited by Charliee; 09-27-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: wording
Old 09-27-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh I see re: candlelight - sounds SO romantic and cool though
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The lights are all off and candles all around the room. It's very relaxing..... maybe that's why it's easier for some people to open up
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds amazing - not heard of one like that before
Old 09-27-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Charliee,
This AA meeting you have found sounds really good, I just want to wish you good luck keep us posted how you get on.
I've been going to AA since the beginning of August but haven't got a sponsor or started any steps - I'm just absorbing it all at the moment to see whats what. Someone said to me that I need to do steps and the programme!! And the sooner the better, but I haven't felt quite ready as yet, I'm still getting used to the new sober me and learning to live with myself again just as I am, faults and all.

Best wishes V
Old 09-28-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Charliee, You kind of support what I have been coming around to believing of late - that abstaining probably isn't enough to find happiness or contentment in sobriety for many of us. Once we stop drinking the reasons we found it so attractive tend to re-surface it seems and some of those reasons are actually problems of one sort or another which need addressing if we are not to resort to alcohol as some sort of 'solution' again.

All the best to you!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you've found a good meeting to be your home group.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
I am crossing my fingers that this will be my salvation and I am going to put my whole heart into it. WISH ME LUCK!!
If you put your whole heart into it you won't need Luck. But I'll wish it for you anyway. All the best to you.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Charliee that is awesome. I have been to a few candlelight meetings they are very good. The local one here is 10:30pm on Friday and Saturday nights - prime time drinking hours to say the least. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) nowadays I am usually in bed by then!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

So happy you found a 'home'.

I really loved the candlelight meetings (I am sitting here alone at home right now, still dark out with candles burning on my altar).

One of the things about candles is that they call our attention to the fact that something special, often deeply spiritual and emotional is going on. And I think they do bring a sense of quiet awe and attention from most of us.

We use them for important rituals, like birthdays, important dinners, faith rituals. We are called to a special level of attention.

What an awesome atmosphere for recovery.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news Charliee.

I love candlelight meetings,they do seem special,I have been to a few.

Meetings vary so much,it is always a good idea to try different ones.

I wish you well.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
I think I found my home group and maybe even a sponsor tonight. I have been to a lot of meetings, but this group was different and I have to try a different solution. I have kinda avoided AA meetings and definitely the Twelve Steps for quite some time now, but what I have been doing hasn't been working. I have seven months of sobriety but I don't think I have had one day of happiness. I want to find the old me or at the very least a better version of the person I have become. My daughters deserve to have their Mom back and I have finally decided that I do deserve to be happy again (which has been the hardest part, for the longest time I thought I didn't deserve to even be here anymore). I am crossing my fingers that this will be my salvation and I am going to put my whole heart into it. WISH ME LUCK!!

Jesus is my Salvation, but AA is awesome!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I also like candelight meetings, although there's only one in my neighborhood and I think it changed when they switched to battery operated candles. And I'm not joking.

Awesome that you found a place you feel comfortable in. For what it's worth, I didn't start to feel a part of AA (although I attended reguarly), until about my 7th month. I didn't start to feel good until well into my 2nd year. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other, and trusted in what people were telling me. I also kept checking in with myself to see how willing and open minded I was. I knew full well that if I didn't change and grow things weren't going to get better. Meetings gave me support, but for me would have been useless if they weren't supporting a change in the person I was. The person who's only solution to my endless list of problems was a drink, before I got sober.

If you really like the group, you might want to consider taking a commitment. My sponsor required it of me, or I'd have probably never done it. Doing it really helped me get out of myself, and helped me start really connecting with others.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I also like candelight meetings, although there's only one in my neighborhood and I think it changed when they switched to battery operated candles. And I'm not joking.
Our did too, the battery operated lights, but they do "flicker"

It was at the request of the man who gave us free use of his building for 10 meetings a week! We were lucky to have such a patron. It was in memory of his grandson who had passed away in his 20's from substance abuse.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It will be your salvation if you really work it. You deserve peace and happiness. I have two little boys. I'd love to know your story. Want to exchange stories?
Pm me if you like
Bec x