Notices

Newcomer

Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

I'm new to this and still lost but know that it's time to try..... my life is still fun (to an extent) but if i keep drinking the way i have been then i expect it will all come crashing down. i still have a job but turning up hungover is happening more and more often. i used to be the life and soul of the party but turning up hungover makes it harder to be that. i'm constantly irritable, angry, emotional...... not a good way to live. my personal relationships have suffered enough! if i don't try to stop now how far will it go?? will i lose everything...everyone??? the guilt, the anxiety....the sadness is becoming too much to bear.... time to change!!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jen

It;s certainly my experience that the more years I drank the worst things got and the more I lost.

You're very wise to look at this now

I know you'll find a lot of support here - welcome!

D
Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marcher

Welcome to SR, Jen! This really is a good place for support, and it sounds like you're seeing your reality for what it is.

How far will it go? It can go all the way down to a very low place. Just read some of the stories around here. It's up to you whether it goes any farther. I think you're right. Time to change! I wish you the best!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No half measures

Welcome lots of support from people who have been there and done that.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Newbie also

Hi Jen. Joining today myself. I've quit for long periods before but...anyway, I realized the other night as I drunkenly complained to my Facebook friends about poverty that I was a fool. Going in to work hungover is what holds me back from success at work. Spending money on booze, even cheap booze, is what keeps me poor. I'm letting myself down and even though I'm still passing as a good dad now, how long until my kids figure out I'm not living up to my potential because of my drinking. I'm not being the role model I wanted to be.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jen76 View Post
I'm new to this and still lost but know that it's time to try..... my life is still fun (to an extent) but if i keep drinking the way i have been then i expect it will all come crashing down. i still have a job but turning up hungover is happening more and more often. i used to be the life and soul of the party but turning up hungover makes it harder to be that. i'm constantly irritable, angry, emotional...... not a good way to live. my personal relationships have suffered enough! if i don't try to stop now how far will it go?? will i lose everything...everyone??? the guilt, the anxiety....the sadness is becoming too much to bear.... time to change!!
Good luck....told myself that before "time to change", hasnt gone as well as I'm sure you'll do! One day/battle at a time!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Jen Hope to chat soon.
Marty, any idea why things aren't going too well?

X
Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyeSea View Post
Welcome Jen Hope to chat soon.
Marty, any idea why things aren't going too well?

X
Ya good idea sky! I lost 3500$ Sunday because I blacked out made stupid bets. I've been an alcoholic for 8 years without a day off. I thought i learned my lesson Monday made it 3 days and relApsed. On top of losing my job I've became over 5k debt in last 2 weeks while I drink over a bottle a noght. My attempt to quit failed miserably and had to move back in with parents. So I have a good idea l, alcohol ruined my life
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh mate, that's an expensive lesson - the 3500 I mean.
I've heard SO many times about 'the curse of day 3' - seems that we get over the initial feeling sick etc and seems like a good idea to have a drink. Also, the physical 'yukkiness',feeling like 'flu' is on it's way etc, lowers resolve.

Hey, at least you have your parents yeah? I know they're probably the last peeps you want to stay with, but it's breathing space for you, to plan what to do next.

Stay strong
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Jen! You've come to a good place with lots of support.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Jen, lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! You say your life is 'still fun'? Doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs from what you describe!

All the best - lots of advice and support on offer here!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Welcome! You say your life is 'still fun'? Doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs from what you describe!

All the best - lots of advice and support on offer here!
I suppose what I mean is the drinking is still fun. I still go out with friends and have a laugh. It's the relationships closer to home that are suffering and work. I'm living my life either hungover, lethargic and down when I'm not drinking and always thinking about the next drink.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Hey jen. Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by jen76 View Post
the guilt, the anxiety....the sadness is becoming too much to bear.... time to change!!
You know they say about a problem shared. Unload it on the forum it'll be a small weight off your shoulders. It's not like the people here will judge you or not understand.