Notices

All I could do was laugh

Old 09-27-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All I could do was laugh

Excited for what I thought would be a job interview this morning, I got dressed up, the hair worked out for once and I was feeling very positive. I started out in the rain and found that the windshield wipers on the new car don't work, either that or I couldn't figure out how to use them, so I drove blindly to my interview.

I filled out my application and the server told me that a manager would be contacting me... talk about misleading... the ad said apply and interview between 1-3. I was there at 1. Anyway the server said the manager would probably calling me soon so I decided to run a few errands.

Went for gas in my skirt with high heeled wedges and the temps today are low, at the time about 48 degrees I think. From there I headed to the pharmacy and as I was getting out of the car my brand new cell phone fell to the ground and the screen shattered, and the phone quit working.

I managed to get a hold of the manager and she said it will be a week or so before I will get an interview because the need to go through all the apps.

I felt like crying, I really and truly did, but then something funny happened. I drove by a liquor store and started laughing, don't ask me why, but I did.

Suddenly all the experiences of the afternoon meant nothing to me because I knew I wasn't going to drink and right now that is my top priority.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aww..I LOVE this story. How fantastic that you were able to laugh at the irony at your situation and driving by the liquor store. Learning to laugh at ourselves is a fabulous tool in sobriety in my books.

Spectacular!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry things didn't turn out as you expected today - but at least you have some feelers out there

Hope you find the right job for you TM

D
Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sorry for all the crap you went thru but a big hurrah for not stopping at the liquor store.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like the laughing part...bet that felt good!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
a southern belle

To me...that shows tremendous growth thru recovery!!! That's fantastic because...I'm willing to bet(if you're like me) any given one of those screw ups could have been an intro to justifiable drinking! Hell yeah laugh!!! Ya gotta!!! It's great medicine too...way to go sugar!!! Good love...mags
Old 09-27-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Nice!!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marcher

That's a great story about how you handled a tough day. I find I have to laugh at myself, otherwise I just take myself too seriously- and that's not good.
And good luck on the job search!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Toomutch. My ears pricked up the other day (or rather my eyes opened wide), when you mentioned Native American Jewellery - I LOVE anything native - art etc.
Have you thought about selling stuff like that online? Or even a little market stall? I'm sure I can't be the only one who loves that stuff and it would be doing something that you're passionate about (half the battle with work)

Just a thought x
Old 09-28-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That has happened to me before Suze, with the windscreen wipers.

I remember driving with my head out of the window like ace ventura pet detective or dogs do to try and see as it was snowing so bad.

If I was you though having that type of day, I probably would have had other embaressing things happen to me too, like going into the interview with my skirt tucked in my pants and everyone seeing but me!