Notices

First post

Old 09-25-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome CP. Many of us here fit the description you gave of yourself. As for fun without drinking, I've found that with each additional day of sobriety, I find more and more contentment by enjoying the simple things.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by CP1992 View Post
Best of luck to all of you in your journey.
Our journey.

And if you stay sober for three years like me, you will find you look back at all that crap as another life. Like remembering third grade does not mean we need to wake up and go to class today. It also means for me that I wouldn't go back to third grade for any reason because I outgrew it, and already learned all I needed from there. Same with being a drunk.

How are you doing today CP?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am doing fine today and thanks for asking. I haven't been tested yet as my major triggers are Friday nights. I have my daughter all weekend so I'm confident I can make it through. It's the subsequent weekends that worry me. I get a month in and start feeling good and then give into the voice in my head and inevitably I'm back to square 1. I really think I can do it this time. It seems weird to envision life without booze but I'm confident ill be much happier for it. I have clarity and I need to get out while I can. This is a great forum. I think I just have so many friends who like to booze that its hard to imagine us doing alcohol free things. I'm lucky I have a supportive girl friend.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm heading to my 2nd AA meeting now. I pray I feel more comfortable this time. I need the support system
Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks so much for answering! I am soo happy for you. I used counseling and AA for the first three months, as I needed face to face support from others like me who knew and were not judgmental. I also had family support from my grown boys and wife. Of course they all said I didn't have a problem, I just needed to cut back a little. I used to be a weekender only, they nightly a six pack or the equivalent buzz in wine or scotch. Then a twelve pack. Then I retired and started at noon an was drinking a case a day! (2 beers an hour from noon to midnight is 24 or a case) I wasn't a drunk, as few of us will get buzzed out on two an hour. Then it got worse. My tolerance was so high I rarely felt good, just sick and tired. I was drinking 30 plus beers, wine and scotch. As soon as I woke up I needed a couple of shots in my first two cups of coffee just to stop shaking like I had Parkinson's. That is if I kept the first one down.

I was determined and let me tell you that if I could do it, anybody that is willing to do whatever it takes can too.

You mentioned that weekends are the toughest, so I take it you have tried and failed in the past until you decide enough is enough, right? If that is the case, like many, and you are doing it the same way you always did, won't you always get the same results?

You came to the right place, lots of different combinations of approaches. Some folks have strong feelings pro and con about a few of them. But whatever you do come here when it gets bad. Read a lot, post a lot. Try AA if you haven't already. I didn't need or do the whole program. I have seen folks that can only stay sober by going to meetings daily, and have been in AA for decades, and others like me who used them for what I needed, to find out about and tap into local resources. I joined here first, and some folks here convinced me to give them another shot after I told them how I had only been to one meeting and it was disappointing. So I believe it is good for short timers, medium timers, and long timers. I didn't stop AA for any issues, just that I didn't need them anymore.

I would check into what meetings in neighborhoods like your own meet on Friday and Saturdays and get their schedule. Just so you have a fall back to keep it going. You can also find out about affordable counseling and support groups locally.

I am proud for you. I usually check in here in the early afternoon, and later in the evening. Start a thread, get into chat whatever, but stay with it for life. I can never have even one drink, or cigarette. That will never change. No big deal! Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Time to go do some real fun things and keep what health I have.

We are here.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just saw you were on the way to your second meeting. I had to go to several different ones until I found a home group that suited my middle class sensibilities. Funny how now that I am recovered I would get something out of those that I didn't at all care for in my first weeks. So keep looking. Go early and hang out, then stay a few minutes. None of them bite. I remember feeling like a jerk not knowing the rules or traditions or even what I was supposed to do. I clapped for one person and realized you don't do that, and then asked a question when someone was talking. I stayed and they explained that it was OK, everybody starts at the beginning. I am so grateful to that home group. I need to go visit again just to check in.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone the second class went a lot better I am optimistic for sure. Here's a question, AA seems like a ton of time and Work. Not that I'm against that but I'm really a busy person. I guess you get out of it what you put into it. The people there were definitely really nice. I like posting here it's definitely a good healthy environment. I definitely want to get a sponsor.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
It is a good amount of work, but sobriety ain't easy at first.

It was probably a good amount of work trying to keep your life from falling apart due to the alcohol too.

You know you have it in you if you want it.

I'm a busy person too. I work 60 hours a week. But I know I can handle an hour a day for a meeting to aid my sobriety. I usually do more than one meeting a day on the weekends.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
No half measures

You never have to be that person again and AA is a great place to start.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good on you!