Notices

Depression

Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

Does depression follow drinking, or is vice versa?

I've battled depression for years. Therapists, techniques, etc.

I learned many good things over the years, but whenever I felt down or when I didn't want to cope, out came the alcohol, and it was always an indicator of a bad spell.

I'm curious...did my never-ending commitment to alcohol prevent me from turning the corner with my depression? Or was my depression keeping me from turning the corner with my drinking?

In a weird way, I hope that drinking is the toto cause of everything. I can fight that beast hardcore. Fighting depression at the same time is daunting.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol IS a depressant The longer you avoid it, the less depressed you feel and the more any anti-depressants you're on, (if any) will work.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
jkb

I can only speak from experience but, after years of dealing with depression it eased up a lot after I got sober. I still have a rough week here or there but, it is not as severe as it was when I was drinking.

Jess
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started drinking to deal with depression and anxiety but of course, that only made it worse. Since getting sober my depression is a lot better and my meds work as they should.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do have a rather depressive character – alcohol has never helped with that.

Physical exercise is what has helped me most and I need to be careful in doing it and not let everyday stress keep me from it.

But periods like now with autumn and endless low pressure systems with dark clouds and rain coming over – I do have to struggle not to become passive and depressive.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Depression has been a significant issue for me throughout my life. Living a sober life has certainly made the depression much less dark.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Looking back I believe ive been depressed for years. So many problems have been linked to my drinking and now that its over I can see how unhappy ive been over the years. Been a drinker my whole marriage and my marriage is already making huge improvements. Even after only 10 days. Makes it worth it long term!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Crtl, a very interesting question. From my perspective, I also thought it was a bit chicken and egg. Initially, I had thought being depressed caused me to drink and that the drinking exacerbated my depression. Went to lots of counselling and also took anti-depressants for a while.

The last psychiatrist I saw was not convinced. He believed the drinking was the cause of my depression and not vice-versa. I must admit that in the past few months since I've reduced my drinking to finally completely abstaining, I dont have any feelings of depression. So, for me, the psychiatrist was right and that the drinking did cause my depression (mild as it was).
Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I see my depression and my alcoholism like two demons behind two locked doors in a dungeon in my mind.

Depression is slippery, and can get out if its cell by itself. I have to check on it frequently, because at the start it is frail and weak. I can catch it and put it back if I use the techniques I've learned.

Alcoholism is quiet, and sits behind a sturdy door. It can't get out by itself, I have to let it out. If I let my depression go unchecked, depression will try to convince to open the door, that alcohol will help me with depression, which is a lie. Alcohol comes through that door and destroys everything in its path, and depression is only made stronger.

I just need to remain vigilant. I need to do the easy, daily things that keep depression at bay and easy to defend.

And I need to remember that no matter how bad things get, alcohol will make them worse. It will destroy everything, and only I hold the key.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ctrl, thanks for that brilliant analogy. So true! At the moment I'm trying to get the depression back behind its door. Not quite there yet but the longer alcohol isn't out and about the more chance I have.