Notices

Back again.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again.

Hello again. I have been a regular visitor if not a regular poster here. I'm a 76 year-old man who was a teetotaler for over 30 years. I originally quit drinking because I didn't like my pattern of nightly drinking and because over half of my close relatives are/were alcoholics. I seldom drank a lot but I drank every day.

I started drinking again about four years ago during a recent family health crisis and then quit again in late January this year.

Things were going well; a couple of slips but only for a day each time. Then, this August I backpacked the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada of California. The day I got back to civilization, I celebrated with a hamburger and a tall cold beer. This has now pretty much stabilized at my drinking between half and three quarters of a bottle of red wine nearly every night.

My health is good and I am quite fit for a guy my age. But, it galls me to have a habit I can't seem to break for good. I know that I feel better when I don't drink and I'm sure sobriety is better for my health but this all goes out the window when the 4:00 (pm) drinking time comes around. I don't drink after dinner and usually feel sober at bedtime and am functional while drinking. I just don't like having my life controlled by ethanol and not me.

I plan to quit, again, in the next day or so. The weather here is getting cool enough that I can substitute an afternoon walk for the first glass of wine: I think that will get me past the afternoon trigger. I'll let you know.

Wish me the best and I'll keep you all advised.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Wish you well my friend

Truly , Tr
Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best of luck to you.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Welcome back to SR Cascabel!

I quit (again) March of this year. Turning 60 in November.

Reading stories on SR is all I need to end any cravings.

Good Luck on your plan!