Notices

Recovering nurse

Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering nurse

hello everyone
I am new to this site and hope to meet nurses in recovery who can share their insights and experiences.
I am in the IPN program for Florida nurses. it's a 5 year monitored contract with random UDS, etc. I am over 2 years sober from alcohol abuse. I have 4 dui's, possession of marijuana and disorderly conduct charges on my record. I am experiencing major depression over my situation. I can't seem to get a grasp on the anger towards myself for getting into this situation and ruining my nursing career. I am so close to being homeless. I can't find a job. just need someone to talk to and share whether you're a nurse or not. everyone has something to offer to everyone!

hope you all are having a blessed and sober day
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Welcome. One of my friends in recovery is a nurse. We ended up in the same rehab 6 months ago. She just had horrible headaches due to a structural malformation so the docs started doling out the pain pills. But as the addiction progressed (it always does) she needed more and more until she found herself stealing meds from her hospital.

She was able to self report and is now in a program like yours in hopes of having her license reinstated. She is scared that even when she gets her license back, she will be unemployable.

Your post shows that this disease can affect anyone: nurses, doctors, lawyers, CEOs.

Do they have any medical profession 12 step meetings where you live. I know they have them where I live.

Congrats on your 2 years and welcome!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, congrats on over 2 years sober. Lots of support here.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

I know many nurses in AA. Those 12 steps saved my life!

Glad you are here!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard the SR train
Old 09-22-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks y'all!! I really appreciate the warm welcoming and having found a place I can ''talk'' to others who can relate to my situation. feeling alone and scared is a trigger and lately I feel like I have no one who cares. I have family that helps when they can. but i'm single and no kids, 54 yo. so, I tend to isolate quite a bit. being financially strapped, I find it hard to really ''get out there'' and socialize. so I tend to stay home with my 2 cats and waller in self pity. I am really struggling with finding a job. I mean who really wants to hire a nurse in a recovery program for 5 years and multiple misdemeanors....? I need to find a way to pull myself out of this dark place!

thanks for any encouragement! it is so needed and welcomed. if I can help or pray for anyone, let me know!

y'all have a blessed day!!

Last edited by beansjd; 09-22-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 2 years sober and welcome to the site. Have you tried applying for any of the 'less desired' nursing type positions? perhaps that could be a road back to a better position in the end...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

definitely looking into that foolsgold66!! nursing homes tend to be IPN friendly. still haven't heard anything from the apps I've sent out. hoping to hear soon. thanks for responding!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR,I am a retired nurse and midwife.I left my job in palliative care before I was chucked!

Congratulations on 2 years sobriety.I hope things work out for you.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.

Congrats on your two years sober. I hope you find come peace in your life.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beansjd View Post
definitely looking into that foolsgold66!! nursing homes tend to be IPN friendly. still haven't heard anything from the apps I've sent out. hoping to hear soon. thanks for responding!
Okay, cool, I was also thinking of detoxes, rehabs, prisons, hospice, possibly home health, but not sure that last one fits the category of 'least desired.

Just keep trying!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congratulations on two years sober and welcome to sr
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy to meet you beans! You are not alone - we all understand & care. I hope you'll find it helpful to be with this family.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome beansjd - I'm not a nurse but we do have a few around

D
Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there! I am not a nurse but I am training to be a fellow healthcare professional. I am in pharmacy school. I haven't done much to work towards sobriety yet but I am definitely in need of a change before I ruin my career that I have worked so hard for with my drug and alcohol habits. I have tarnished my reputation with my colleagues unfortunately... And won't be able to earn that back. Welcome!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome beans! I was an RN for 12 years, became addicted to opiates. Most of my story, as of 2011, is in this post: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...mpurrfect.html

Since then I've graduated, with honors, with a degree in another area of healthcare and got certified. I haven't tried to get a job in that field, yet, simply because I'm STILL living at home, car died, and I'm paid more, now, as a private caregiver for clients who have alzheimers than I would starting over in a new field...but I'll get there.

When I went to AA, my sponsor was an LPN who worked at the local rehab. I really wish I had paid more attention to her. Another nurse in my home group had 7 felonies, waited tables through the program in GA and was back working as a case manager in a nursing home.

Another friend went through the program in TN. She completed it and thought she'd NEVER find a job, was scared to work in a corrections facility, but is now working at a rehab.

I'm still going to have to answer "and WHY aren't you a nurse any more?" questions on interviews, but I'm not terrified of it like I used to be. I've had steady work, I volunteered and made friends with a LOT OF people, many who are recommending me as a caregiver to the point I'm having to turn down work. I have lots of people who will be really good references for me.

My suggestion would be find something to volunteer for, for now. I work at a senior center in the cafeteria, have a blast and have met wonderful people. Found out quite a few are in recovery It's one of the places where people can do community service, so I've met even more people who are in recovery.

The ONLY reason I ever thought about volunteering is because I kept reading it here.

We have a lot in common - I'll be 52 tomorrow, my "kids" are 4-legged, have fur and speak in cat or dog I think you have to have 5 posts to pm (private message), but once you get that, feel free to pm me any time.

Though I chose not to purse the program, I still have the heart of a nurse and have a soft spot for those in the medical field.

OH, and congratulations on 2 years!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy