Notices

HI. newcomer to recovery.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HI. newcomer to recovery.

Glad i stumbled across this site after few to many late nights.
I have been a problem drinker for the past 10 years of which the last 4 years i have got much worse. im 37 year old male.
I would describe myself as a functioning alcoholic, nobody knows about my addiction. I moved into my own apartment allmost 4 years ago to the day(which should have been a happytime) but i knew what was going to happen.
Drinking to excess at weekends turned into every other day to everyday.
I live alone and have hid my drinking from family and friends. I continue to hold down a full time job, pay my bills etc but know it wont last.
Yes i have had a couple of 10day stints of no alcohol, but always thought somehow i have been cured and i could be a moderate drinker.
How wrong i could be. Each time i returned, my drinking got worse.
I have gone from drinking 1 somtimes 2 bottles of wine every night for 2 weeks. After this i felt like death so turned to vodka.(even worse) to beer (can function on 6/8 pints a night) nextday.
What scares me is that i no longer get a hangover(is this normal) at the moment i have been drinking 6 to 8 cans (pints) a night, strong beer 5.8% proof, just a little tired the next day. I have gone cold turkey before and got throught it ie sleepless nights, sweets, anxiety etc.
I know i am lucky to have what i have ie a job, home etc but still feel the need to get wasted every night and throw it all away.
Sorry for the long post but i feel im here for a reason.
Being irish does not help as alcohol seems to be everywhere.
3 cans tonight and im of to bed (thats the end of the alcohol in my apartment.)
. Cannot talk to family as it would break there hearts(as they turn to me with there problems)
Have done a grocery shop with plenty of healty food and dilute orange and blackcurrent (found this helped in the past)
Anywords of advice would be great, have failed in the past and feel it has to work this time.
thanks
J
Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a good place for support to stop drinking. You've made a smart decision to stop. Do you have a plan in place to keep you sober? Some people use AA or another program. Some, like me, use counseling and this site. Some folks on here use only SR to stay sober. There are many ways to do this. Find what works for you and work it like your life depends on it - cause it does!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Hellyeah

read around and post as much as you like - you'll find a lot of support and ideas here

why not join our Class of September thread? - it's for everyone quitting or wanting to quit this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-15.html
Old 09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for the quick reply. Going to use SR for sure. Have been reading here last couple of nights which has been really helpfull.
Plan is to try get back into some form of routine with work and exercise(need to lose some weight) nothing crazy just a few kg. From reading here my downtime which i used for drinking i have to do something pro-active ie this site or exercise or hopefully both.
thanks.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome hellyeah, lots of support on SR. Glad you are here.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Glad you are here.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi yeah, welcome. You came to a great place. Stick around. Lots of support here.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Find what works for you and work it like your life depends on it - cause it does! "

Many thanks for your vey kind support. Just wrote this down^ struck a cord.
thankyou Least and all who have posted.
Glad i found this site.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Off to bed. Thanks again for your kind support. I know i have a long road to recovery, but believe i have found a good place here. Will report back tomorrow.
Thanks again.
J.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome hellyeah one day at a time and live for the moment
Old 09-21-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you hellyeah. I promise you can do this - I did it after drinking all my life. It feels wonderful to be free - not foggy & numb. Looking forward to hearing more from you. We're so glad you found us.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi all.
Slept only for about 4 hours last night(new it would be like this) as have been here before. Went for a long walk today to clear the head. Feeling optimistic today.
Stomach not great this evening, but doing ok. No alcohol in apartment which is a start ,
drinking dilute blackcurrent at the moment.
will be weird not trying to hide the smell of drink in the morning when i go to work.
Weather looking good this week , so will try head for a walk in the evening, and will leave the wallet at home so im not tempted to stop of anywhere. Lots of food at home so no need to go to the shops for next few days for grocerys(temptation is a b*tch)
thanks again
j.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey hellyeah, cool name!

Sleep will come, in time, just the body needs to adjust, well done making plans for the days to come.

L x
Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Hey hellyeah, cool name!

Sleep will come, in time, just the body needs to adjust, well done making plans for the days to come.

L x
hi
yeah gotta make plans and keep busy. Been here before many times and let things slip so easy, so need a plan this time and going to stick with it.
Found before, bordom kicked in really quick in the past and was a trigger for me.
thanks for the support.
J.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Hellyeah

Being Irish you also belong to an long tradition of recovering alcoholics No one will bat an eye if you say you don't drink.

I know it's all hard to cope with right now but it will become easier in time. I didn't feel like I could tell my family because I was always the one who they came to with their problems too, but in time I did and it has made it feel so much more real for me and I am grateful for their support. It feels strange when we're so used to keeping this to ourselves and actively hiding it, but there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Glad you're here x
Old 09-22-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Talking

Lol, I have so many day 1 t shirts my wardrobe says enough!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

^Tell me about it.
What i find hard to believe is that nobody had noticed my drinking and how secretive i had become. There was days i went into work so hungover i thought somebody must know, but i was able to hide it.
Kinda looking forward to work in the morning (sad i know) but should be tired enough tomorrow afterwords for sleep.
Hope someday to be able to talk to my family about it.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Hun, you are amongst friends here, friends who understand and won't judge.

Keep Passing the Open Windows.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

HellYeah,

Glad you are here.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellyeah View Post
I CAN'T DROWN MY DEMONS THEY KNOW HOW TO SWIM!
Wow - yes indeed, they do! Mine too - I think we must be cousins or something.

Your reaching out for answers and help and there will be plenty of both here for you for the asking. Keep reading posts and sort it out - first things first - keep off the sauce and get your head clear - one day at a time.