Notices

I have

Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have

completely lost control over this past week and I really only come out of it after I sleep.

In the past week I have turned my life upside down. I have quit my really good job that I moved here for and I think I have been drunk for at least 10 days now, I can barely even remember.

I wake up these mornings wanting to get some help or have someone to talk to, but I just don't have that here yet (just moved to a new state).

I am going through serious shakes and I don't really know what to do. I keep on drinking because that is obviously the only thing that helps at this point.

Since I quit my job, I probably don't have health insurance anymore, or at least I haven't signed any COBRA things to date.

I just don't know what to do right now. sorry :-(
Old 09-18-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi whathappened

maybe the priority is to get yourself some medical assistance - just to make sure you're safe.

Do you have a Dr? Can you find one, if not?

D
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome whathappened. I'm so sorry you're going through this awful time, but very glad you've reached out for some help. Believe me, we all understand.

I was at that point too - when I finally understood that I could no longer play with drinking. Each time it got in my system it led to an unpredictable outcome - usually a dangerous one. I did out of character things and created a nightmare for myself - but at least it led me to stopping all together. Sometimes we have to reach that point in order to open our eyes.

I hope you'll stay with us and keep reading & posting here. Things look bleak now, but everything can be handled once you're clear headed again. You are not alone.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you dee. I am not really sure. I am a guy so we are terrible at knowing doctor stuff. :-)

I have been to get other medications, but I am not sure that is who I should go see. They are closed now and I really am shaking like I never have. As much as this sucks, it I probably the final wake-up call, no idea why it has become so "withdrawal" like....never been like this before and it is spooking me.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whathappened14 View Post
Since I quit my job, I probably don't have health insurance anymore, or at least I haven't signed any COBRA things to date.

I just don't know what to do right now. sorry :-(
First, get the Cobra extension. You should have 30 days grace period. But get on it. This is the kind of practical thing we don't do when we're drinking and it's just self-sabotage.

Then stick around here and read. You'll be surprised how many people share your experience. It's a great supportive group.

Welcome.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detox is nothing to mess with.
you can always go to the ER?

D
Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I agree with Dee in that it's a good idea to make sure you're medically okay - possibly an ER if you need to? Just as alcoholism is progressive, so is withdrawing - it can be very serious, even fatal.

I am glad you're here, as there are a lot of people who know what you're going through.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-18-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Please get medical help as Dee has said.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not trying to be really dumb with these questions.

How long would I be there in the ER? I have a friend coming in from out of town tomorrow.

This is going to be painfully embarrassing to share too.....the last time I went to the ER it was for drinking and they put me in a mental health facility for 2 days because I wasn't making sense in trying to tell them why I was there. It was just extreme exhaustion and drunkenness, but I don't want to have that happen again.

I feel really dumb typing this and know I needed help before, I have obviously ignored it.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I work in the ER. We have people come in all the time that are detoxing or seeking help. If they come in intoxicated we generally have them sleep it off and proceed from there. If they come in already in withdrawal we'll give them phenobarbital to prevent seizures and Ativan to take the edge off. We don't put any patients in mental Heath or psych unless they are posing a risk to themselves or others or have suicidal ideation. Then we get a social worker involved to help point them in the right direction and to the right resources. Isn't it awful that I know all this info and dish it out to others but cannot take my own advice and follow my own lead. Wishing the best for you.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am not trying to be really dumb with these questions.

How long would I be there in the ER? I have a friend coming in from out of town tomorrow.

This is going to be painfully embarrassing to share too.....the last time I went to the ER it was for drinking and they put me in a mental health facility for 2 days because I wasn't making sense in trying to tell them why I was there. It was just extreme exhaustion and drunkenness, but I don't want to have that happen again.

I feel really dumb typing this and know I needed help before, I have obviously ignored it.
No one can know how long you might be there, but if you have health concerns that's where you should go. If it helps at all, you are making. A lot of sense in realizing your plight. Plenty of support here, and we will all be here when you get back too. Be safe!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Indenial618 View Post
I work in the ER. We have people come in all the time that are detoxing or seeking help. If they come in intoxicated we generally have them sleep it off and proceed from there. If they come in already in withdrawal we'll give them phenobarbital to prevent seizures and Ativan to take the edge off. We don't put any patients in mental Heath or psych unless they are posing a risk to themselves or others or have suicidal ideation. Then we get a social worker involved to help point them in the right direction and to the right resources. Isn't it awful that I know all this info and dish it out to others but cannot take my own advice and follow my own lead. Wishing the best for you.
thank you, I can't be entirely sure what I did, maybe that is what happened where I said something that caused concern. That is not anything like I would be, but who knows aymore. As soon as it was over, I blocked it out.

so I would be out of there this evening then if I did go?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Please don't be embarrassed & don't feel dumb. We all understand. This is a safe place to discuss your situation where you won't be judged. We're glad you're here.

We can't predict how long you'd be in the hospital - most likely you'd be out tonight - but nothing's more important than getting checked out no matter how long it is. I hope you'll take care of yourself and be safe.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you, I can't be entirely sure what I did, maybe that is what happened where I said something that caused concern. That is not anything like I would be, but who knows aymore. As soon as it was over, I blocked it out.

so I would be out of there this evening then if I did go?
I wouldn't be able to tell you if you would be out tonight or not. They'll do blood work Etc as well and every facility is different regarding how long it will take to be seen etc. I do think you should go and seek help if you feel like you need it. Don't be embarrassed.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you weren't out of there tonight there'd be damn good reason for it...and I reckon you wouldn't be in any shape for making your appointments tomorrow if that was the case anyway, WH.

I'm not a Dr, but I'd be surprised if you weren't back home in a couple hours.
D
Old 09-18-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please get medical help. Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to mess around with.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As everyone has said it is always best to seek medical advice. Lots of support here. Glad you found this place.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't know if bumping an old thread is ok here but I wanted to give a quick update.

I didn't end up going to the ER last night, but I did go to my primary care doctor today. She was very supportive and it helped. My blood pressure was 171, which she said was pretty terrible, so I am glad I went.

They gave me bp meds and valium (generic brand forget the name). anyway, point is anyone is reading this that is new, listen to the people here and getting medical assistance. I didn't really think I would be that serious, but it was.

I have never felt this physically terrible and exhausted from a binge but I am sure this is going to be the last time I do this. Doctor said too that if I am still drinking when I go back on Monday, they won't do anything else and a detox center is the next option.

I will not let that happen, what an crazy eye opener. Anyway, thanks for listening. I have been reading all day here today and it is very helpful.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you went to the doctor, & thanks for letting us know. My blood pressure spiked dangerously too. It terrified me enough to make drinking absolutely not an option. Too bad it had to come to that - I knew I was destroying myself, but I guess I needed proof - or an eye opener as you said.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Whathappened, I am so glad to know you got help today! Thanks for the update. Keep reading on here, and take it minute by minute if you must. You can do this, and the SR community is here for you!