Notices

A fantastic day in early recovery.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A fantastic day in early recovery.

Today is day 20 for me. This morning I met a new friend from AA. We have a lot in common there because of our views about the 'spiritual' side of the organisation (I'm an atheist and so is he)..and we seemed to hit it off.

Anyway off we went to the Lake District (North of England), which is only half an hour from were we live and we walked most of the day around a mountain overlooking one of the lakes, with my two border terriers. It was a gorgeous early autumn day. The sun was shining, and the air was sparkling. We talked about AA a bit, but also drinking and quitting more generally and as importantly all sorts of other 'normal' things. We took sandwiches and stopped where the view was particularly gorgeous for half an hour to eat, give the dogs a drink and chat.

It wasn't a remarkable day in some ways. Lots of people go to the Lakes to walk. But I was sober, glad to be, not missing it at all and in the company of someone who has been sober for over ten years and who knows all there is to know about it.

I had a great day and alcohol wasn't any part of it! And it was the better for it by a million miles!

I thought I would post this as an example of good times we can all have pretty quickly when we quit. I still have a long way to go to feel completely OK, but if it is like this, then bring it on!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds fantastic mentium, I love the lakes, camp there a lot. I'll bet if you were hungover you wouldn't have even thought to do thus. You are doing great. Have a lovely evening x
Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a lovely part of England, and a lovely post.

Thank you for sharing it.

When you get your down times, think back to that walk around the lakes and remember the joy we can get from the simple things.

You're doing great
Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 20days mentium.Glad you had a good day.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lovely post Mentium. I also love going to the Lakes for a day out and lots of walking. Glad you had such a nice time.