Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It's not just all about your actions while under the influence

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi All,

Most of us have come here because we've finally come to an impasse and realize that we can't live with what we've become. This usually occurs after a binge is over, a crisis just occurred, an extreme hangover, or we are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Later that day, the next day, or whatever period of time it is that's our norm between drinks, those thoughts and feeling begin to dissipate. The closer you get to that "time" the less important those reasons for making your decision become. You begin to reason with yourself that what was so catastrophic that made you reach the conclusion that you did was maybe just a little over the top and things aren't really that bad? That's the nature of the addiction. It will sink it's fangs and claws into you and do everything in it's power to keep you coming back.

There's something that we seem to push aside and don't take into consideration though. Realistically speaking maybe we will be able to moderate, maybe next time we won't black out, maybe we won't make the same decisions that we did last time. If someone comes to that conclusion and is successful with it so be it. However, you're leaving something out.

Regardless of how you might be able to change your actions and not be the person who you were previously the fact still remains that you are harming your body. Something that you can't see on the outside. Something that you can't control.

Take a stop over to the thread on Cirrhosis....we are all praying for and thinking of this person right now.

So the next time that you reason with yourself that maybe that hangover wasn't so bad, or maybe your actions will be different, and this time you will be able to moderate you will never be able to change what alcohol is doing to your body. Point blank.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Later that day, the next day, or whatever period of time it is that's our norm between drinks, those thoughts and feeling begin to dissipate. The closer you get to that "time" the less important those reasons for making your decision become. You begin to reason with yourself that what was so catastrophic that made you reach the conclusion that you did was maybe just a little over the top and things aren't really that bad? That's the nature of the addiction. It will sink it's fangs and claws into you and do everything in it's power to keep you coming back.
I have heard that the most insane thing we ever do is take the first drink, since we don't take the first drink drunk. We're supposedly in our 'right minds'! That insidious first drink...

Insidious: stealthily treacherous or deceitful, proceeding inconspicuously but with grave effect, intended to entrap or beguile.

Thanks for the thread, LadyBlue.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

what have I done to myself ?

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post

Take a stop over to the thread on Cirrhosis....we are all praying for and thinking of this person right now.

So the next time that you reason with yourself that maybe that hangover wasn't so bad, or maybe your actions will be different, and this time you will be able to moderate you will never be able to change what alcohol is doing to your body. Point blank.
good point made
I have been hanging around recovered drunks for several years
I would say that most of them who had drank for a long time
have done some kind of irreversible damage to their bodies and or minds
I'm in A-Fib and know where it came from
one night of making a very bad decision
memory is not the best either

problem is
seems everyone in the world knows for fact
that booze and drugs can damage the mind and body
but we fool ourselves with the thought of
that probably will never happen to me
then
there we are laying in the hospital bed
asking ourselves
what have I done to myself ?

Mountainman

Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post - yes, we are also poisoning and obscuring 'self' - that which distinguishes us from others, that which makes up who we REALLY are.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this LB. You know..and I must thank Allen Carr's book for the thorough realization...alcohol is poison. It is poison by it's own very definition. I have essentially drank troughs and troughs of diluted paint thinner 25+ years. What has it done to my internal organs? my mind? Everytime I was frustrated, bored, excited, lonely or wanted to celebrate or reward myself after a hard day...I poisoned myself.

I poisoned myself. I poisoned my mind. I escaped my mind via the intoxication of poison.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish words could communicate how spot-on and well-timed your post was for me.

When I recently quit, my quitting wasn't caused by a binge, a fight, a loss or an event. More just feeling like I couldn't sustain what I was doing to my body, and that alcohol was making my mental and physical states much more difficult to deal with.

So, after more than a week, I started to feel better. Then, when something happened (minor), I thought...well, just this time, I can give in. I didn't, but it took an hour of fighting with myself to not give in.

Old habits die hard, and it's amazing how quickly and willingly I, at least, want to forget what I have put myself through for so many years.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a FANTASTIC post! I loved every word. Thank you very much!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi LB, want to echo the other sentiments on what a great post this is.

When I first quit drinking, one of the ways I helped myself stay "stopped" is by researching and making myself look at the very horrible things that alcohol does to us physically. It truly is, as Nuu says, poison. Allan Carr's book is great in this regard as is Craig Beck's work. In my case, as a wino, I was drinking gallons of rotted, fermented, fruit. Sh!t that any animal in nature would run miles to get away from knowing it was nothing but pure poison that would make one violently ill. And what it does to your brain?

The BBC documentary, "Rain in my Heart" was eye-opening (and terrifying) for me in just watching the physical degeneration of the people it was filming over a very short period of time.

For me, the improvements to my body and mind in seven short months have been nothing short of amazing. It's a very strong incentive for me to never drink again.

Anyway, awesome post, thank you as always!!