Notices

Hi! From desperate newcomer

Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome! Spend some time reading and posting. Looks like you are on day 5 not day 1, so congrats!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Churchlover! I was born and raised in Pomona, so your post caught my eye right away. Also your screen name, which (and please forgive me if I'm wrong) I assume means that you are a Christian. If so, I'd like to recommend a program called Celebrate Recovery. This was started by Pastor Rick Warren, and its a wonderful recovery program for Christians. This ministry was a huge part of my recovery four years ago, and I still attend every week. I did a search and found a CR ministry in Pomona. The link to their website is:

Home

Welcome to SR! I'm sure that you will find help and encouragement here!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

thank you!

Hi Longbeachone,

Yes, I am a Christian and I have attended Celebrate Recovery; it is held at my church in San Dimas. I don't think I was taking it seriously at the time. However, now that things have come to a head in my home life, I am remembering and trying to apply everything I learned. I am having a rough day. My daughter, who has always been a difficult one, came over and let me have it. (Although, with her, I wonder if anything I do could be right). I have owned my "stuff" with her and I wonder if it is all too late. I am feeling pretty hopeless right now. Hard day. All I can do is to keep praying and reading. The doubts keep creeping in, wondering if it is all too late. Thank you for your encouragement and congrats on 4 years. Would love to hear your story.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome churchlover! I'll be praying for you. Do you think you could go back to Celebrate Recovery? It's great you're trying to apply what you learnt there before but I think having the support that actually attending its meetings provides will be good for you.

Stopping drinking and getting into recovery is a huge life change so it's normal to have doubts that it can be done etc. but it's never too late. I thought I'd never be able to stop drinking but now I have more than two months sober. Have faith and remember that I and many others are praying for you. I'm glad that you're going to keep praying and reading.

I'm sorry you're going through that with your daughter. I can kind of relate because at the beginning of my recovery I was wondering if I could do anything right in my mum's eyes. In those early days, I just had to focus on my myself rather than on her. I had to put sobriety first and trust that better relationships would come as a result of that sobriety. Confusing myself by trying to be what my mum wants me to be just wasn't helping me to stop drinking.